Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Any Book Recommendations?

I know that 99% of this whole weight loss thing is mental. I know I need to change my mind, thoughts and attitude before I can change my body. I am looking for a good book (or 2) that covers this kind of thing.

Anyone have any good suggestions??
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

An oldie but a goodie is 'Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution.' I find that the concepts are sound and he does a great job of making you think about the reason why you overeat as well as providing some practical ideas.

Another favorite of mine is 'You: On A Diet.' This book is full of a lot of anatomy and physiology information that helps you to understand why your body sometimes doesn't seem to be cooperating with weight loss. The book also does a great job of explaining why we deal with cravings and with negative thinking and provides great practical ideas for dealing with these issues.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #3  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

well... it's not really weight related but it's a great book if you're looking to improve yourself in, how could I put it. The book shows you how to be a confident woman in a relationship.... I like it a lot. Again not weight related.

"Why Men Love *****es" (and no they don't literally mean *****es, just woman who hold their own.)
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I really like watching the biggest loser, I find it very inspirational, so when I found the Biggest Loser "success secrets" book I loved that. There's input from many of the people who were on the show and had great success, and also lots of other inspiration.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.5/249.5/110

Height: 5'2"

A food journal, for starters! Every time I don't want to write down what I've eaten, I know it was BAD. Even though noone reads it but me, it was a while before I could be honest with myself and write down what I was really eating.
Its an eye-opener.
Stick Me With A Fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I really like the type of books you're talking about. I just read the new one from Bob Harper, it deals with emotional aspect. The Beck Diet Solution isn't wishy-washy, but it takes you through exercises to learn about real hunger and why you want to lose weight. That ones probably my favorite.

Other popular ones are Shrink Yourself, If I'm so Smart than Why Can't I Lose Weight, and When Food is Love.

If you go to your local bookstore or browse on Amazon, there are a TON of similar books. Amazon is great because you can read other people's reviews and get some insight into what the book is about.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Right now I'm reading:
Are you Ready? Bob Harper (The Biggest Loser), he's dealing with the emotional aspect.

I'm also reading When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies and Overcoming Overeating both by Jane R. Hirschmann.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

The Thin Commandments It's similar to the Beck Diet Solution that someone else mentioned, but the author is more motivating and the way it is presented is much better. The focus is more on strategies and understanding why what you were doing didn't work before. Beck's is daily exercises and she doesn't give the big picture up front Thin Commandments does. That's actually ironic because The Thin Commandments is based on cognitive behavior modification and Beck's father was the psychologist who moved the field of cognitive behavior mod. along. In any case, check your library for the Thin Commandments. I was never able to stick with a plan for more than a few weeks until I read that book. It has made a huge difference in the way I think and with how successful I am with eating. Check the reviews at amazon.

Last edited by missy3gal; 12-12-2008 at 08:24 PM.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I recommend The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Covey. An oldy, but a goody in my opinion. Not geared toward weight loss specifically, but I read it when I was first starting out and found it really applicable.

Oh, and Missy, I just finished a paper about Beck and his Cognitive Therapy, so when I got on here and read your post I about flipped out, lol...it's following me everywhere! It won't go away! Haha
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #10  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Geez - I have read so many books that have changed my ideas of myself and how I eat.

Rethinking Thin
The Sugar Addict's Recovery Program
Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy
Fat : fighting the obesity epidemic
Tales from the scale
The fattening of America
The hungry gene
The obesity myth
Good calories, bad calories :
The Thin Club

Can you tell I read a lot??
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've read many times here on 3FC where Glory87 mentions that reading SuperfoodsRX by Steven Pratt was a big revelation for her and it changed her life by changing her way of thinking about food. I hate to quote her, but I believe it was something to that affect.

I don't think it's deals with the "mind stuff" per se'. But it sets the foundation for a healthy lifestyle by learning to eat foods that are nutritionally sound.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
Geez - I have read so many books that have changed my ideas of myself and how I eat.

Rethinking Thin
The Sugar Addict's Recovery Program
Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy
Fat : fighting the obesity epidemic
Tales from the scale
The fattening of America
The hungry gene
The obesity myth
Good calories, bad calories :
The Thin Club

Can you tell I read a lot??
I echo tales from the scale.

I've read some fiction weight books too....If interested in those, I can post them up as well.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I've read many times here on 3FC where Glory87 mentions that reading SuperfoodsRX by Steven Pratt was a big revelation for her and it changed her life by changing her way of thinking about food. I hate to quote her, but I believe it was something to that affect.

I don't think it's deals with the "mind stuff" per se'. But it sets the foundation for a healthy lifestyle by learning to eat foods that are nutritionally sound.
It helped me a lot too. I don't go by his guidelines anymore, per se. I figure most any whole food not on the superfoods list is just a food whose virtues haven't yet been discovered! As long as it's produce, beans, nuts or whole grains, I go for it, and I try to go for variety.

But the book was a turning point for me. It turned my food choices into something exciting and proactive instead of something so-so and restrictive.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #14  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

"Thin for Life." It tracks people who have actually lost a lot of weight and kept it off, and what they did. Not what they ate, but what they did and how they changed their attitudes. I'm re-reading it now.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I really, really like Dr. Oz's book, You on a Diet. He does such a good job explaining what happens in our bodies when we eat unhealthy foods that I think it is an eye opener. I highly recommend it.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote