Having trouble staying off the scale

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ok I need help! I need to publicly say that I will not get on the scale until my weigh-in on Monday. I know from past experience that getting on the scale 8 times a day just makes me neurotic.

So if I get on the scale before weigh-in I'm posting here and you guys better give me a hard time about it!
  • I tend to bounce on and off the scale myself. It used to make me a little neurotic, but not anymore. Now I just view it as entertainment. I am completely fascinated by how much my weight changes through the course of a day.

However, if you are still in the "makes you neurotic" place. I would be more than happy to help act as a cyber frying pan upside your head if you get on the dang thing before Monday!

Stay off!!! The consequences will be severe!!!!
  • Once in the morning is plenty. Any more than that and you really are just torturing yourself.
  • STAY OFF. I'll beat you up if you want lol!

Mine is locked in my hubby's workshop and I will get it back on saturday but not a day before!
  • Been there, done that. I had to lock mine in the trunk of my car.
  • If it makes you happy to jump on and off the scale, please do so!

I personally love to - and, over the past year, I've come to realize that any one reading is almost meaningless.

However, if I see a reading higher than the range I've been in, that means there is something going on, and I need to pay attention.

Sue
  • I can only weigh in once every couple days or once a week...I have found that hiding the scale is sometimes necessary too
  • If you are feeling obsessed then put it away... the last time I tried to lose weight I got down right nutty... weighing myself every few minutes, moving the scale to different places to see how things changed! Eeek!

Now, I am weighing each morning... I have on occasion been weighing once in the evening... but it isn't anything crazy. I either do it just because I am trying to get an idea for how my body weight fluctuates during the day --or-- because I really want to eat some junk food so I hop on the scale as a reminder of my goals.
  • I have that same problem! I managed to get down to just one time a day though, haha. I'd like to just weigh-in once a week, but I think I need the accountability of every day weighings.
  • Thanks everyone for the comments and threats!

For me I think the healthiest thing mentally is to weigh in weekly. I have some "women troubles" and don't have a regular cycle so I don't really have a way of knowing if TOM is affecting my weight. TOM is a bit of a flighty fellow in my life - he just shows up whenever he damn well pleases. However, after 7 days I should have a true idea about whether I lost weight or not. I think that's a good measure of accountability for now.

If I decide later that a daily weigh-in would be helpful I'll switch it up. And just because I think a weekly weigh-in is best for me doesn't mean I think it's right for others. So if you like to weigh yourself more often and that works for you I'm all for it.

And I had a real fight this morning to not jump on the scale but I managed to avoid it. Close call though!
  • Ummm let the beatings begin.
  • I am on & off my scale at least 3 times a day. But, I don't let the number bothering me day to day because I know it sometimes flucuates. Although, I have to say, i usually tend to stay the same number all day long. I don't get flucuation like I've heard some people on here get. If it helps you & you can do it without driving yourself banana's, go for it! I find it helps keep me on track & forces me to be accountable for my actions.
  • Ok....because you asked for it

Now..Here's sending you some GOOD stuff!! You can do it! Hide the darn thing if you need to!

• I check the scale every morning. Right now it keeps me accountable for what I ate (and if I exercised) the previous day. I also know that there will be minor fluctuations from daya to day and I try not to let that bother me too much. I have a few times checked the scale early in the evening to see if I could afford a snack and that works to keep me from snacking as much in the evenings now
  • lol thanks Wannabe!!

I really believe for me it will be better initially to stick to once a week weighing so I am glad I could be honest here and say I didn't meet that part of my plan. Not beating myself up (letting you guys take care of that!) but just being honest here is super helpful. I really almost didn't post about it because I thought "oh they'll never know and think I was good" and I realized that that attitude, even about something as minor as my scale compulsion, would not be good for when the excitement wears off and I need some good old fashioned accountability.

So even though this might seem like a little issue it was sort of an integrity check for me - so thanks!