Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/220/118

Height: 5'4.5"

Default What are some ways to get motivated and stay that way?

I cant seem to stick to anything, i'm trying to do calorie counting but i keep eating the wrong stuff. I always think to myself that once i'm skinny i can eat that but it still doesnt work i eat it anyway. What are some things you do to get motivated?
spankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Hot, designer jeans, that a doctor I work with might ask me out (hahaha), my trainers, competition is a huge motivator for me, actually. I make up contests with people---who have no idea we're competing---and then I don't give up until I win. Sorta weird, but I have to say competition is definitely my biggest motivator.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #3  
93.6lbs to go!

S/C/G: 220/205.6/112

Height: 5'5"

The thought that when I'm thin I'll be able to wear whatever I want, ask out hot guys, go out and feel gorgeous, have huge amounts of fun, etc, etc. No amount of bad food is worth the amazing feelings I have once I'm thin. Seeing my ex once I'm skinny and all the people I used to go to school with, and hearing them go, "damn"!

I also have to get teeny minor surgery next year, and the heavier I am, the harder and more painful it's going to be. So I feel like I must lose weight for that.
from220to112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm not much into deprivation. And - one thing I learned from our maintainers is that maintenance looks just like losing. In other words, don't deprive yourself of things you love.

The great thing about calorie counting is that you CAN have those foods. The trick is to learn to eat them as part of your plan. Portion control becomes the issue.

Anne (wndranne) had a great quote that really helped me put it in perspective "I figure I can eat (1) anything I want, (2) as often as I want, and (3) in whatever quantity I want. But I only get to pick two of these three if I want to manage my weight, and more importantly, my health."

I think short-term goals are more motivating than long term ones.

Clothing helped to motivate me. I purchased (second hand) some really cute designer things in the next smaller size and tried them on regularly.

While I didn't take measurements along the way, some folk are very motivated by this.

Setting fitness goals also works for some. By x date, I will be able to do x reps.

Using Fitday or like software really helped me with the calorie control each day.

It really is a journey - and you CAN do this!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think it's Dr Phil who talks about creating an atmosphere of success.
Once you shrink out of a clothing item ... get rid of it!
Clinton Kelly says throw out elastic waists.
Lots of successful losers will tell you to clear out your kitchen cupboards. If you can't stay away from the peanutbutter on toast ... don't keep peanutbutter.
Read to fill your mind with pertinent information. A novel is a wonderful thing but always have some kind of health book on the go too. I've got Jonathan Kellerman in my lunch bag for work but I'm also reading "Younger Next Year for Women". Right now we subscribe to Oxygen and Muscle & Fitness. 3FC counts, come here several times a day.

There's another thread about this, I think I'll link.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151346

Last edited by srmb60; 09-12-2008 at 06:11 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

For me, motivation has nothing do with it (especially now that I'm maintaining). It's routine and planning that keep me going.

I figure out exactly what I'm going to eat all week on Sundays, I buy only those foods at the grocery store, and I eat only those foods. "Work" foods are off limits, and I rarely go out to eat. I have a marker board next to my fridge that tracks how many minutes I've worked out each day, which I track on a weekly basis. It's all organization and routine -- not motivation.

One thing I notice you said that struck a chord with me -- You said "I always think to myself that once i'm skinny i can eat that but it still doesnt work i eat it anyway." I think you need to break out of that mentality because it will set you up for failure. There is nothing you "can't" eat now that you will be able to eat when you're skinny. If you followed your own advice and (for example) didn't eat pizza until you're skinny, what do you think is going to happen when you are skinny and start eating pizza again? You won't be skinny for long.... A better approach is to start having pizza less often, and continue that habit as you lose weight.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I think sometimes you just have to hit rock bottom. I allowed myself to get to a wallowing, self loathing/hatred very dark place before I decided to save my life. I'm paying the price too. I have unrepairable damage to my body...even the most extensive plastic surgery and medical treatments will not give me back what God once gave me. I destroyed my body and my health. The first step for me in healing what I could was to ask Gods forgiveness...then to forgive myself. One thing I learned about repenting is it doesn't mean to say your sorry and continue the bad behavior...it means to change the bad behavior. And I asked for a lot of help and spiritual guidance on that one too. I hope I have not offended you sharing my faith. It's what has helped me drop 102 pounds. Others do not share my views on God and I respect that.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-12-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6

What motivates me is that I only want to do this once. I don't ever want to have to lose this weight again. I want to do it, get it over with and get on with my life. (new healthy lifestyle, not old crummy lifestyle) I do not want to be struggling with these pounds this same time next year.
VivienStarlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #9  
A New me! Right Now!

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgirl737 View Post
competition is a huge motivator for me, actually. I make up contests with people---who have no idea we're competing---and then I don't give up until I win. Sorta weird, but I have to say competition is definitely my biggest motivator.
I have to say you are not the only one that does this....I am sooooo guilty of this. But are correct it motivates me. Like my next door neighbor is always boasting about trying to lose weight yet when i see her eating a greasey meal at the bowling alley i am like ha ha i did better than that today. Of course you never say it aloud but it is sooooooo in your head. lol.
dlphnmomva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #10  

If you think you can go back to your old ways of eating once the weight is off, don't bother losing anything because you'll be gaining it back. Yo-yo dieting isn't healthy, either. You need to teach yourself to make good food changes and permanent changes to your eating. It takes self discipline and planning and commitment.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #11  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Tough love time....

Having the attittude of "I can eat whatever I want once the weight comes off" is not good, as others have mentioned. Basically, that means you are only willing to keep healthier habits until you have lost weight, and you intend to go back to eating the same way that made you overweight to begin with. Sooooo not good.

So, your first step is to banish that line of thinking. Second step is to find something you can stick with, forever. Stop thinking of it as being a temporary thing-- you will have to do it for the rest of your life so you might as well find something you can stick with.

Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone. There are other ways of losing weight, and maintaining it that you can try. Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, intuitive eating, and many more. You might need to try on a few different ways until you find the right fit for you.

As for motivation, there are things I do that have helped me. Keep in mind, I often really don't feel like working out, or I really really want to dive into that fluffy birthday cake someone brought at work. But, I'd much rather grit my teeth and drag myself through a work-out, or away from that cake, than be fat.

Anyway....my motivation helpers:

* I keep a picture of me at my heaviest on my refrigerator, and on the wall in the room where I work out. It's a constant visual reminder of what I'm fighting against.

* I have pictures of me at my thinnest all around my computer. I was that way once, and can be again with some work.

* I have a sign on my refrigerator door that says "It's not in here." That's for those times I may be tempted to mindlessly rummage through the fridge looking for that elusive "something to eat" when I'm not really hungry.

* I keep charts, with little stickers for when I eat right, work-out, and record my weight loss with colored markers. I'm a visual person, so I love this. I loathe missing putting a sticker on the chart because I've skipped a work-out or binged.

* I come to 3FC often, and look through success stories, pictures, etc.

* I look into my closet and see all the plus size clothes that I now am swimming in. It never fails to bring a self-satisfied smirk to my face. (I'll get rid of them all soon)

* I used to keep a 10 lb weight on my kitchen counter, and remind myself that I had 6 of those to lose off of my body. Picking it up and feeling it's weight (so heavy!) when I wanted to go on a food rampage helped.

* Adjusting my attitude: I don't like having to work-out or eat healthy most of the time, but it's just something I have to do. Like taking out the trash, paying the bills, or cleaning the house. (I think it's photochick that I'm paraphrasing here ) Gotta do it, but I don't have to like it.

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 09-12-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydisney View Post
For me, motivation has nothing do with it (especially now that I'm maintaining). It's routine and planning that keep me going.

I figure out exactly what I'm going to eat all week on Sundays, I buy only those foods at the grocery store, and I eat only those foods.
This is exactly what I do too. I hate, hate to miss an appointment or for my schedule to change too much. So I make up a menu and a schedule every Sunday. I have to stick to it if it is in writing!

Good luck!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #13  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

Ahhh, what a great thread! So much "food for thought" here, and I can eat as much of that as I can stuff in, as often as I want!

This evening DH brought home pizzas for the kids. When I smelled them I just said "Well that's it. I'm eating pizza, darn it." Then I went out and actually just ate the topping from 4 pieces, and then got on my treadmill. It's because I remembered something that was posted here that I had read earlier.

Thanks everyone, you help even if you don't realize it! Just knowing others struggle with the same things helps!
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #14  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Motivation is great...but the truth is that some day's it's easier to get motivated than others. On thos e low motivation days I count on dedication to pull me through.

I look at it this way...Dedication is simple...you are or you are not. If you are truly dedicated there is no option to waver from the goal. Motivation is what makes the journey more pleasant.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote