Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 12:58 PM   #1  
Beach Bound Babe

Talking Happier Days

Hello! It is great this forum has been started, and what amazing timing in my life! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts...I didn't know where to post my message...because I wanted to write everywhere...just thought I'd start a new thread!

It is nice to see that I am not alone in the world when it comes to depression and weight issues. It is so reassuring that there are other wonderful people out there...just like me.

I have been battling depression for about 5 years and I just went to the doctor about 3 weeks ago. I was too scared and/or embarrassed to go...but knew I had to do it. I found a doctor I was comfortable with (although the anxiety about going was a lot to handle) and I am so glad I went. She had a wonderful way of opening the door to talking about my depression and giving me a glimmer of hope. She put me on Zoloft, and suggested a counselor. I have gone to the counselor once and will go again in a couple of weeks. I haven't noticed a huge difference with medication yet, but am feeling more energetic and my eating habits are improving. I am no longer eating constantly! I don't feel the need to...so I guess that is a big change!

I have had to deal with some doosies in the last several years and I am so glad I am now moving on....and I am so glad to be posting here to meet new friends! We can all help each other with the weight battle and the others we have been working on.
Currently I am at 211...down from 217! Good news! I would love to be 200 or in the "hundreds" by summer!

So...please post...write back....I am looking forward to some new friendships! WE can do this together!

Trace
Old 03-18-2002, 01:05 PM   #2  

Default Welcome Trace

So glad you could join us. I completely empathize with being too scared or embarassed to go to the doctor about depression. I waited, 5-6 years myself before I had to get help.

It sounds like the Zoloft is working well for you.. more energy, controlled eating and a great loss to boot! I am glad you are seeing the counselor. I found it a BIG help when I first started on medication. I don't know if you are exercising yet r not, but I find exercise to be an amazing endorphine booster. Gets me going for the whole day.. I actually am missing the rush on my days off!!

Hope you'll hang out with us and be a regular poster.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:21 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Trace,

Your post gave me lots of hope THANK YOU !!!
Keep us updated on your progress, okay.

Love Leens
Old 03-20-2002, 08:23 AM   #4  
Beach Bound Babe

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone...I really feel welcome here.

I go to the doctor again tomorrow for a checkup...she is also taking blood for thyroid test. I am a little nervous about it but realize it is something I have to do.

I will post again soon...take care all

Trace
Old 03-22-2002, 02:17 AM   #5  

Hi Trace,

Welcome, I think this forum is going to be a good thing for all of us.

Good luck with the thyroid testing...I suffer with hypothyroidism and have been on meds for 16 years. They help a lot, especially with depression, fatigue and mood swings. So if you need them, please take them. Don't let your fears get in your way.

Nice to meet you...Meg
Closed Thread