Confused about AVENUE clothes

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I could have sworn there used to be a place to post about fashion or clothing, but I can't find it, so I thought I'd stop here -- because I sort of do need "support" --
    I rarely buy any new clothes - because a) I won't look cute in anything and b) why waste the money if the objective is to get smaller, and buy more new clothes?
    So anyway -- I needed a new outfit with the warm weather and a few events at the kids schools, etc.
    So I go into AVENUE - which I like them a lot more than some other plus size stores I've been in...anyway, I tried on a size 18 - thinking that is where I should be - because I have 1 pair of size 18s at home in another brand that are snug.
    The 18s at AVENUE were too big. So I bought a 16 -- brought them home, and darn if they aren't still too big.
    Now - please, who am I to complain that a 16 is too big. I'm thrilled that I would need a 14,...but hellooooo, I am 5'6 and weigh 212 pounds.
    I asked the girl at the store how their sizes run. You know some stores run big, some brands run small. She looked at me like I was crazy and said "our sizes are a a full cut". ? WTH?
    Does anyone else think that they run BIG ?
    Because there is no way this belly should fit into a 14 yet...I'm taking the 16's back tomorrow to see if I can exchange them..otherwise I'm off to Ebay.
    Thanks for any tips and I'm sorry for the long post!
  • I find their pants run HUGE. Even if I can find something that fits in the waist, the butt and thighs are big enough for several more people to join me. I just can not wear their pants. Even the ones that are too SMALL in the waist are still too big everywhere else. I guess by "full cut" she means "really roomy"
  • I've never tried avenue but in general the few plus size brands I tried all ran big... I always needed at least one size smaller than I really was.. and they always were too stretchy which bugged me. I love Old Navy jeans. =] Good luck!
  • They run big because they are specifically for the person that needs the larger sizes. That is what they mean by full cut.
  • Yeah, their sizes run big. I was really only ever able to wear anything from them at my highest weight (230.) Myself, I liked Torrid and Fashion Bug for cute inexpensive plus sized clothing. I used find some nice things at Macy's on the clearance rack too.
  • Standards for sizing have pretty much evaporated over the years - though before the 1950's there were no standards, so we've really come full circle rather than broken new ground.

Although even growing up in the 70's, My mother complained about the differences in sizes and fit, even within brands, and drilled into me the need to always "try it on," before buying any clothing. In that regard, nothing really has changed.
  • Wow I'm glad to know others had the same problem. Sounds like the 14s would be too big too then.
    I don't live near a Fashion Bug - but guess I could check out MACYS.
    It felt sort of nice to have pants that were too big -- but at the same time, I've gained 3 pounds in 3 days and I have not eaten ANYTHING !!!
    And it cant' be TOM because I hit menapause in my 30's.
    I hope AVENUE takes the jeans back - I cut the price tag off last night before I realized how big they still were.
    Least I like their tops.
  • Avenue runs a size or two bigger than most I think. At least when it comes to pants. My usual size 22-24 is about a 20 there. It also depends on what type of pant that you get. Their slacks are HUGE and there jeans...well, their are just an odd group all together, I have never found a pair there ever. I would suggest going to lane bryant instead though for pants, they are on the spendy side but they have several cuts of pants to choose from. This always helps me because my legs are muscular and my stomach is huge, but I can always find a good pair there. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • I don't really own any avenue pants--- I'm a Lane Bryant person when it comes to bottoms... they're the only plus size store that has TALLS that actually ARE tall!

I don't think Avenue's tops run particularly big... at least, not to the point where I've noticed much of a difference between Ave and LB...

I just hate Avenue b/c it's frumpy "old people" stuff most of the time. And I HATE HATE HATE Fashion Bug with every ounce of my being!!! I went in there DESPERATE for clothing b/c Iv'e lost a lot of weight and fit into NOTHING and didn't want to spend a lot on my "in-between" size.

Well, Fashion Bug had a buy one, get one for $1 sale. Basically, 50% off everything. Iwas SURE to find something. UGH. Their clothes are disgusting. Cheap cheap cheap. I call it Polyester Paradise. I mean, NOTHING in the WHOLE STORE looked professional or of any type of quality. As desperate as I was, I walked out without finding ONE thing I was even willing to try on.

I love my Lane Bryant... they truly are the best. But so darned expensive!!!!! (and I can't understand HOW they are owned by the same company as Fashion Bug--- they both make the same "model" of pant... but use drastically different types of fabrics) ugh...
  • BrandNewJen, Lane Bryant and Fashion Bug are owned by the same company. I've even seen some of the same clothes on both their websites. Just an FYI

Fashion Bugs vary DRASTICALLY by location. I've lived near some that I absolutely adored and others where I couldn't even find an acceptable t-shirt.

I don't think Avenue sizes run particularly huge, but I can tell you that if you're comparing an Avenue plus size 16 to a misses size 16, the plus will be noticably larger (not sure if that's the case). You'll fit into a plus 14 long before you're likely to fit into a misses 14.

On a side note, I think we can have this conversation without being very negative about the stores or clothes we don't like. It's fine to say we don't like them personally, but to call them "frumpy" or something such could very easily be offensive to those who DO like those stores/clothes
  • I just LOVE (insert sarcasm here) VANITY sizes! We all know we are not a size XXX but the darn clothing designers think we will feel better if the stupid tag says XX
  • Their size 14 had fit me like an 18 would.
  • I'm not sure the term "vanity sizing," really has any true meaning. When the first attempt was made to standardize women's sizes in the late 40's and early 50's, the sizes literally were determined statistically with the size 10 arbitrarily assigned to the "average" measurements. The intent was never that a size 10 for eternity would be attributed to those original measurements; rather the sizes would be recalibrated periodically so a size 10 always in theory would reflect the average woman. Thus, a woman wearing a size 24 could become a 10 when sizes are recalibrated, if she now reflects the new "average."

Confused, yet? Well, that's pretty much why standardization didn't work out nearly as well as planned, and wer're back to manufacturer's determining for themselves and their customers what their sizes mean.
  • Long before Lane Bryant clothes became big on me, Avenue clothes became huge. I never shopped much at Avenue though. Also, I'm around your weight and height (I've been bouncing around in weight... ) and I wear misses size 14s and 16s. I even recently bought some size medium tops. That in itself seems amazing. I've even fit into some 12s (although TIGHT).
  • Quote: I'm not sure the term "vanity sizing," really has any true meaning. When the first attempt was made to standardize women's sizes in the late 40's and early 50's, the sizes literally were determined statistically with the size 10 arbitrarily assigned to the "average" measurements. The intent was never that a size 10 for eternity would be attributed to those original measurements; rather the sizes would be recalibrated periodically so a size 10 always in theory would reflect the average woman. Thus, a woman wearing a size 24 could become a 10 when sizes are recalibrated, if she now reflects the new "average."

Confused, yet? Well, that's pretty much why standardization didn't work out nearly as well as planned, and wer're back to manufacturer's determining for themselves and their customers what their sizes mean.
    When I think size 10 I thing 32 inch waist.