Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #1  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default Tofu - How do you eat it?

I've recently discovered that I have a surprising fondness for tofu. I always thought I hated it but it turns out that I really like it. So I'm curious...do any of you eat tofu? If yes, how do you prepare it?

Trader Joe's sells baked tofu that I've just been slicing and eating plain (it's already seasoned). Last night I made a stir fry with sauteed tofu and veggies in a sauce of peanut butter and soy sauce. But I'm looking for preparations to try.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #2  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I've only ever eaten tofu from Panda Express, and I like it.

But I have no idea how to fix it up myself so that it's yummy and edible! (I tried to cook some up once.....disaster!!)

So, I'm eager to see some suggestions here.

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 04-17-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

It depends on the type of tofu. These are the two kinds I use the most:

Silken tofu (in the box)~ It's good in smoothies, cubed in soups, and "scrambled" in skillet dishes. It's also good for replacing fat in certain things, like creamy salad dressings. I make a lite goddess dressing that uses tofu.

Extra firm Japanese style tofu (with nigari)~ This stuff is super firm and won't crumble in stirfries. I also like to marinate it and eat it cold. You can also marinate it and grill it like meat. This is the kind that makes the best "meat substitute" in my opinion.

This is one of my favorite tofu recipes that I got out of Vegetarian Times magazine:

Honey-Glazed Tofu on Pumpkin Seed Couscous

1. To make Honey-Glazed Tofu: Place tofu between two plates and set heavy pot on top. Drain 10 minutes, and pat dry. Cut tofu into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Combine pepper, thyme, and salt in small bowl. Coat tofu slices with pepper mixture, and set aside.
2. To make Pumpkin Seed Couscous: Bring broth, carrots, edamame, olive oil, and salt to a boil in covered saucepan. Remove from heat, stir in couscous and cover. Let steam 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil and honey in large skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Place tofu in pan, and cook 3 minutes. Turn, and cook 3 minutes more, spooning thickening sauce over tofu.
4. To serve: Stir pumpkin seeds into couscous. Spoon onto plates, and top with Honey-Glazed Tofu.

The Vegetarian Times website has a lot of great other tofu recipes too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

In addition to all of the "traditional" ways to use tofu
This is great, but you have to experiment with different brands to find one that works well.

Extra firm - water packed. Freeze it. Then thaw it. It has a spongy, chewy texture. Tear it into bits. It can then be used in casseroles, stir fries, mixed with "sloppy joe" fixings, added to eggs, with pasta sauces, in fried rice, goulash, chili - basically anywhere that you would put ground meat. Just make sure you do season it to taste - it is really bland on its own. I'm particularly fond of recipes with tomato sauce and tofu.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

tofu...you really don't eat it do you...wink

Last edited by EZMONEY; 04-17-2008 at 09:54 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
tofu...you really don't eat it do you...wink
Gary, Gary - you live in California for heaven's sake. Expand your horizons. A good veggie stir fry with tofu goes GREAT with a nice India Pale Ale

Last edited by CountingDown; 04-17-2008 at 10:12 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #7  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I love baked tofu! Soy Boy has a bunch of flavors. The smoked flavor is great in a sandwich or wrap with mustard, lettuce, tomato, sprouts, etc. Here's a summery recipe using the Caribbean flavor:

Baked Tofu Curry Salad

1 cup Brown rice, cooked 200
1 package (8 oz.) Caribbean baked tofu 400
1 cup (4 oz.) Grapes, halved 80
1/8 cup Dried cranberries 48
1/4 cup (1/2 oz.) Walnut pieces 92
1 cup Plain lowfat yogurt 125
2 tbsp. Lime juice 7
1 tbsp. Curry powder 20
3 tbsp. Green onions 8

4 servings (approx. 1 cup each) 245 cals

Last edited by 3Beans; 04-17-2008 at 10:27 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #8  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

A couple of other things to do with plain extra firm tofu:

Pineapple teriyaki: brown the tofu, then add carrots, broccoli, red bell pepper, and diced pineapple. Add teriyaki sauce to taste (less is more!)

Here's a spinach curry with tofu, kind of like a low calorie palak paneer. I use cooking spray instead of oil, frozen chopped spinach instead of fresh, and kidney beans instead of chickpeas. I also leave out the onion. It's so easy to prepare this way and suits my preferences. I'm sure you can change it up any way you want.

Last edited by 3Beans; 04-17-2008 at 10:36 PM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #9  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

I use the firm ones in the soup. Also if you like asian food, silken ones are very good with sauce:soy sauce, chopped up scallion, sesame oil, minced garlic. Boil the tofu without removing it from the case for just couple minutes or so. Pour the sauce on the tofu. And it's good to go! =)
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #10  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

I like the freezing method too. It gives it a really nice texture. I like that you can squeeze all the water out once it is all thawed and throw it into your stir fries so it can soak up all the lovely sauces you put in there. My favorite is a very simple stir fry with garlic, ginger, soy and the diced up tofu using the freezing method. Add a splash of chicken stock and some broccoli and I am good to go!
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
Gary, Gary - you live in California for heaven's sake. Expand your horizons. A good veggie stir fry with tofu goes GREAT with a nice India Pale Ale

...aw come on now C-D!...you have no idea how many times Angie has "hid" it in my food!

but I didn't get a choice!...it was eat it or go hungry!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 AM   #12  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
...aw come on now C-D!...you have no idea how many times Angie has "hid" it in my food!

but I didn't get a choice!...it was eat it or go hungry!
my my my my my

Since you are being so truthful in how you got fat, do you think you can give that lovely lady on your arm some credit for "defatting" you?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

My late husband used to slice the Japanese tofu into 1/2" slices, prick the slices, lightly drizzle soy, sprinkle fresh ginger and lightly saute. It was good. Then, after he died, for some reason, my tastebuds changed. Gee, you don't think there was anything mental going on there, do you?

I've finally started embracing tofu again.

I recently posted something about the flavored tofus I've seen in the market. Some are berry flavored.

I'd be interested in some responses to that one. I'm definitely trying some of the suggestions here.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #14  
back to balance

Height: 5'7"

My favorite way to eat tofu is in white miso soup with scallions and wakame - we eat that several times a week. I dice and freeze small portions of extra firm tofu and then just dump it into the hot soup (edit: and let it simmer on for a while). Yum!

For stir fries and wraps, I've actually come to prefer tempeh, especially three grain tempeh - it's both the texture and the nutty flavor for me, and it marinates very well. My tofu stir fries so far have never come out just right - either too bland or too crumbly - but then again I never tried anything but the plain kind. Maybe it's time to sample some baked and/or flavored varieties... mmmh...

Last edited by Heffalump; 04-18-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #15  

One of my favorite breakfasts is a quarter block of tofu cubes, simmered in homemade de-fatted chicken or beef broth with a handful of bean sprouts, some green onion, and topped with some torn cilantro or parsley. Really filling. Don't just heat the tofu, let it simmer fairly briskly. It seems to puff up and get a really nice taste and texture. This is also an easy lunch or part of a dinner. Can also toss in some spinach or other green leaves.

I also like it in a mapo tofu prep served over shirataki noodles, or bean sprouts or .... The prep is to cook some lean lean turkey or pork (Farmer John markets a super lean coursely ground pork in my area) or even those soy crumbles. Then season with fermented black beans, lots of pepper (Szechuan if you have it), hot sauce of choice (I use a hot bean paste from Asian market), add cubed tofu (maybe 30% "meat" to 70% tofu) Add broth or water to get it saucy. Very quick and satisfying.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote