Phase I Starters 2008

You're on Page 7 of 35
Go to
  • Quote: dbz thats what they call the peanut butter cup in the recipe section (add cool whip) and yes it is to die for
    I was just looking through the dessert section after I posted that and saw so many variations but what really made my head turn was the recipe for the crustless PB silk pie?!?!? Say wha??? I think I see some "baking" in my future!
  • dbz i tried the silk pie and I loved it - def worth a try
  • Gonnabe, I mix up about 1 part skim milk to 1 part strong coffee and 1 Tbsp sugar free flavored syrup, and microwave. I sometimes use instant coffee. Also, if I'm out of syrup, you can use a few drops of extract and splenda. A cinnamon stick in there is good too. For my 50 lbs. lost reward, I'm going to get a toddy and then I'll have the coffee concentrate whenever I want it.
  • Thanks Schmoodle that sounds easy enough for me to do

Heres to you reaching 50lbs gone and getting your toddy
  • Atkins calls their "flu" ketosis and it is from restricting carbs too much. In South Beach you should never go into ketosis. The best way to minimize or eliminate the "yucky" feeling is by eating lots of healthy carbs. Drink milk and eat yogurt (per the guidelines) and gets lots of carbs through healthy vegetables. Foods such as the Taco Bake that have beans in them will really help. If you get the healthy carbs you should feel much better. Remember that you should be getting 4 1/2 cups of vegetables a day anyway so just make sure some are things like beans.
  • Oh, I didn't realize it had anything to do with ketosis! Thanks for explaining that Barb.
  • Thank you Barb for the Flu answer and Schmoodle thank you for the reply about the diabetes.
  • This is the 4th time I've gone through Phase 1, and I've never experienced any of the SB flu symptoms. I do make sure I get plenty of dairy (I use lots of skim milk in my coffee and tea), and try to eat beans of some form every day, so I'm convinced that it helps. Tomorrow will be Day 3 for me, so it will be interesting to see how I feel this time around.
  • well day 3 is coming to an end FINALLY.. Not suffering from ketosis or the flu or anything like that. I just would really like to have one of my mom's rolls with honey on it. Work through the craving right. I tried hummus today. It was not bad. I had it with celery and it was the 3 spicy pepper one. I thought it tasted like bean dip. This will be a keeper for snacks. I think I would like it on triscuits with some ham pieces for lunch. I am going to try the peanut butter,fudgesicle thing tonight to treat myself for making it through today. One question for today where do you find Agave nectar? Would think living in the southwest I would know this.

The kids are acting up and DH is trying to go to bed so better go now and will check in later.
  • phx: I get small bottles of Agave nectar from my local health foods store. They keep it by the honey and such. They are pretty darn expensive, though! I'm sure you can find it locally, but not sure where they'll keep it. If local Agave nectar doesn't pan out (or is over-the-top expensive), you can get it from Amazon, but you may have to buy in bulk. (Don't forget the 3FC Amazon link!!)
  • Hi ladies - can I join your group a few days late?

I'm new to this board as well as new to the SBD. I did Atkins a few years ago and lost about 30lbs, but gained it back over the course of having two kids. I'm giving SB a shot now because I think it's a lot more sustainable long term...I like carbs too much to switch to an Atkins lifestyle.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting meal ideas from everyone. I'm a relatively picky eater unfortunately (don't care for meat but I'll eat it, not a fan of eggs, hate seafood) so I need all the help I can get.

Here's what my day 2 menu was today:

B: 2 eggs, cheese and some turkey bacon
    S: 1 piece string cheese
    L: Cobb-type salad: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, blue cheese, LF ranch
    S: Handful of almonds
    D: Leftover pork loin with green beans

I didn't drink enough water today and I'm feeling a little bored. I am going to reread the SB book that I have to get some new ideas. Also, I made a lot of assumptions about what was allowed for the first two weeks and assumed it was like Atkins induction. Bad me.

Here's to a better day tomorrow!
  • recipe question
    Hi,
    I noticed some of you reference eating Taco Bake....what is that? I am gearing up for a Monday/Tuesday starting date, and I need to get some menus planned. I don't plan very well, and I end up eating the prepackaged food that I have for lunchboxes. I've always said that I don't eat a large quantity; it is the quality of the food I eat. I eat garbage and follow it with a diet coke. I love Tex Mex, so Taco Bake caught my attention.

What are some basic things I need to have in my fridge? I live in a small town, so my local grocery store doesn't have a huge selection. I don't eat peppers or celery, and I am not a salad fan. I'm not a cheese, egg, or bacon fan either....I may be in trouble. What I love is pasta and bread. What on earth am I going to eat?

I'm in a panic b/c I want to start the right diet and not waste time doing the wrong one.
  • 38withfreckles -- The Taco Bake is a tasty PH 1 recipe you can find here at 3FC. I love it. I think I'd have it even if I wasn't SB-ing.

SB is a great plan. It's pretty easy to follow past Phase 1 (and Phase 1 isn't THAT bad.) Many of the recipes are wonderful and -- best of all -- it WORKS.

In other news, my official start was a non-starter, so I'm re-restarting tomorrow. Every day is a new chance to do well!

I didn't stick to my plan. I know better. We DID have an on-plan dinner tonight of roasted veggies and grilled chicken with garlic-soy glaze (glaze from the Soy Pork Loin in the Orange Book, p. 262.)

I did have the SB flu the very first time we tried the plan. We didn't eat enough non-salad veggies or enough allowable carbohydrates. We ate eggs, salad, and chicken, fish, or lean beef. (No wonder I hated it!)

The feeling will pass, but you can help things along by including more veggies and more fiber (beans are great for this.)
  • Good morning my phase 1 buddies. And a big WELCOME to the newbies joining us.

Friday is my normal weigh in and even though I have only been on phase 1 for3 days I weighed in at 198.6 - down .2 from last week
  • MellieInWI and 38withfreckles! It's nice to have you both on board. Check out our stickies in the FAQ section for the latest updates and revised Food Lists, and some great ideas and suggestions. We have some wonderful recipes for all phases in our recipe section, too!