South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #1  
Michael Ann 1973

Post Interesting Article about Food Myths

http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/ar...1438&GT1=10514
Sunnybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Huh. I've actually heard of the author of the article. Alan Aragon posts at a fitness forum I've been on and off of for awhile. He seems like a very knowledgeable guy. I want to say he just published a new book? Anyway, I know he writes articles for a few different fitness sites/magazines. I'd say I agree with what he put up in the article almost completely. It seems to jive with what I've been reading/hearing from other fitness people.

Last edited by Azure; 10-11-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good stuff! Myths abound. I generally just smile and carry on.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #4  

Height: 5'2'

Very interesting. I love hearing what people have to say about the way I eat. I just keep eating and smiling and losing weight! People will believe what they want to believe, including me, but SB has proven that healthy carb eating is the way to go. I can eat the same amount of calories in bread and starchy foods that I do on South Beach and guess what...I gain weight! Maybe we should write Myth Busters...
Drgnfly423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #5  
Michael Ann 1973

I really don't think the article debunks SBD, I just think it presents some good information. Whether Corn Syrup has more calories than sugar is irrelevant...neither are good for you.

The potato thing does make sense and even Dr. A. acknowledges that if you add butter and sour cream to a potato it changes the glycemic effect. If you are going to eat a potato it is better to add fat to cut out the negative insulin effect.

Good stuff.
Sunnybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I thought the part about butter was interesting. I have looked at the labels. For the difference I eat butter. Glad the information showed I was making a good choice for many reasons.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #7  
South Beach Newbie

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2"

And I Love Butter!
schluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM   #8  
Rennie

schluh
How can one not love butter lol
Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for posting that, Sunny.

I actually had a baked potato topped with broccoli and a little cheddar cheese the other night and now I don't feel so guilty about enjoying it so much! Maybe I should have added some butter...

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #10  
Rennie

tomandkara
Don't feel guilty. If it was over what you allow yourself just move on. If I have something special I want. I try to change things around so I can have it. I don't so much worry about counting things so that isn't a problem but I do know to much of a good thing is not good for anyone.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-11-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #11  
Visualizing the Goal

Rennie, you're so right. I try to stick with the South Beach recommendations but I do realize that there are foods I *love* that fall outside those boundaries. I'm sure that if I completely withheld them for too long, I'd end up splurging - exactly what happened this summer back at home! So a treat every now and then is good for us psychologically as well.

Kara
Old 10-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #12  
Rennie

When my daughter makes something I shouldn't have I eat at least a bit of it. Thats what moms do. After I added everything in tonight. I was under here and a bit over there. Oh well, life goes on. Good thing I don't worry about that kind of thing or I would have never eaten it in the first place. Her feelings would have been hurt and having a few less grams of carbs is not as important as the smile on her face.

After we were done eating I sat with her and showed her all the stuff in what she made and a better way to make it. Was great mother daughter time and now she will make it differently.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 10-15-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #13  
Visualizing the Goal

Aw! You're the best!

Kara
Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks for posting this, Sunny!

The thing about potatoes makes sense...but be aware that the majority of those nutrients are in the skin, not the meat. So what he says is right--a baked potato (if you eat the skin) with some kind of fat (or acid or protein) that will slow down the absorbtion of sugar is healthy...but highly processed potatoes are no better than eating sugar. Someone oughta write to Cooking Light--they do this awesome little sidebar in every issue where they compare two foods in terms of health, fat, and calories. The two kinds of potatoes would be a good one!

As for protein, that's just what my nutritionist has been saying to me, too. However, do keep in mind that the recommendation for protein needs (take your goal weight and eat that amount of grams) is meant for MEN. Women may need a bit less--it's worth talking with a nutritionist or doctor to see, okay? My nutritionist has me eating 110-120g of protein a day and my goal weight is 175. He says that the amount he has me on is high for what they'd usually recommend, since we're trying to get my metabolism back to normal. So I think he'd find me eating 175g to be way too high! Just check with professionals before you start deciding how much protein to eat, okay?

I get what he's saying about fructose, but I still agree with Dr. A that High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is a highly unnatural form of fructose...not at all like the fructose you'd find in, say, an apple...) just doesn't work well with our digestive systems. As an average "Jane" (not a moderator!) I'd have to say that it also is more likely to spike your blood sugar than regular sugar...and much more likely to spike it than fructose will. My mom raised me on fructose only--we weren't allowed to eat things with sugar in them when I was little and my mom only bought fruit juice or fructose sweetened food. You can actually get crystallized/granulated fructose, which she also used. My blood sugar stayed very low most of the time and I didn't have the ups and downs that happened when I started eating regular sugar. It wasn't until I was consuming HFCS regularly that I started having the horrible ups and downs that caused intense cravings. That was when I really started gaining weight, exponentially. So I honestly think there is a difference between HFCS and sugar, though it may not be the fructose that's the problem.

The butter information was really interesting! I love butter too--I use it in baking when Smart Balance wouldn't work as well. I also use it if I have WW bread somewhere (like at Panera) that doesn't have Smart Balance. I could carry SB with me, but I find eating a little butter now and then not so bad...glad I have some back up for that!

It was a really well written article with lots of great information--thanks so much for sharing it, Sunny!

As to eating things you really love, Kara and Rennie, even Dr. A says that you should let yourself indulge every now and then! Research shows that dieters who "cheat" once in a while have much more success than those who don't. Just keep in mind what Dr. A says--
  • Eat the full fat, regular version, not some light substitute (he talks about this in the part about ice cream).
  • If you have cravings afterward, jump on P1 for as long as it takes to get rid of them

So next time you have a potato, Kara, put some sour cream and trans-fat-free margarine (or butter!) on it, okay? (or a big serving of low fat cheese!)

Last edited by beachgal; 10-12-2007 at 10:01 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #15  
Visualizing the Goal

Laurie, great points. I was a little concerned about the protein recommendation myself. My goal is 80 g a day and I find that to be perfect for me. I can't imagine eating 130 g or more! Whew. I'd be eating all beans, and then I'd have to burn lots of candles...

I think we have to weigh our choices in everything. If we've got either butter or some kind of crazy hydrogenated spread, then of course butter is going to be the better option. And I must admit that I'm a purist in baking. I'd rather have just a taste of the "real thing" every now and again than try to adapt an old favorite to eat it every day.

This is panning out to be a great discussion!

Kara