Metabolic Research Center - Take IV

You're on Page 13 of 40
Go to
  • So far so good!
    Hi everyone! I'm cautiously optimistic that I may be able to do this on my own! Today (early before breakfast) on my scale I was down 2.5 lbs since Thursday p.m!! I realize it's mostly water but that's still better than no change, right?

I already feel like I should order more HNS because WOW you go through alot having 1 w/ breakfast, lunch and the optional snacks and that's the downside - waiting on UPS to deliver. Tomorrow I'm beginning the Day 5-10. I love all the tips on this board! Good luck to everyone!
  • Thank you! How much do each of the little squares weigh?

I am so tired today. I woke up at 12:30 this morning and could not get back to sleep! Not a good way to be when you are a teacher. I am going home to try and get a little nap in. I am feeling really weird, hope it is the lack of sleep, not the diet..... Has anyone else had trouble sleeping?
  • Hi everyone! :Welcome: Stressed57 - I'm at the Bellevue MRC too.

Today I did wi in the afternoon and hit my first gain - only 1/2 #. I knew the plateau would hit eventually. I've been on for 30 days now, so this doesn't really concern me. It will just be a better wi the next time!! Have a great week everyone!
  • I got to sign the 10 pound board today!!!

Losingweightnow That is wonderful you got to sign the fifty pound board. Only 19 pounds from goal, how great is that! I am so looking forward to being where you are now. Are there things you can do now that you couldn’t do 50 pounds ago?

Jantdieting– I know what you mean about learning not to cry over football. I went to UF during the time when we were lucky to win a game.

When mixing the drinks, I also find it easiest to mix the HNS in a bottle.

Congratulations to everyone!
  • Quote: Morning everyone! I am officially on the program today! Had my first HNS this morning. Really takes a long time to get it all stirred up, makes me think the liquid would be much easier. I am wondering how you weigh one ounce of cheese-- I bought a scale but, it is really difficult to see where the one ounce mark is--doesn't seem too accurate. Do any of you have any suggestions?
    I actually like the taste of the powdered HNS better myself - I shake them up using one of those old-school Tupperware shaker thingies, has the little wheel thing in top - also, be sure your water is around room temp for it to mix the best - I usually add ice, but always after I've got it mixed up. I think you can find containers for mixing salad dressing that would work the same way. Then again, if you like the taste of the liquids as well, then you wouldn't have to worry about it (although I use the shaker thing for those too, just to mix them well.
    Cheese - I get the pre-sliced cheddar for my cheese toast, and 1 slice is right around an ounce, maybe a tad under. I think some of the snack-packed cheeses are also about an oz per serving. Shredded is a little trickier - but the "standard" is that 4 oz of shredded cheese is 1 cup, so 2 oz would be 1/2 cup & 1 oz would be 1/4 cup. That's approximate of course (depending on how much you pack in the cheese!).
  • Quote: Learned a long time ago....don't cry over football, just enjoy the good times! This has been a wacky-wacky season....we got beat by Miss State then we beat Florida! What's wrong with that picture?!?!?

You only have 6 lbs to go to reach goal...you can afford to cheat!

JanT
    I'm in maintenance now - I actually should change my ticker, I put on a couple of extra lbs at Disney World that I'm working on getting off. I made it to goal & got a tad under within my allotted time (started in May 2006 & went on maintenance officially on Dec 31st - I was determined to be on maintenance by New Year's Day). But I had little cheats all along - I'm just not so good at really sticking to any plan 100% faithfully (this ain't my first weight-loss rodeo...but I'm determined that it's my last). BUT I exercised all along as well, which allowed me to get by with the little cheats. I very rarely had massive cheats (going to Ruth's Chris for our anniversary was probably my biggest one - and my granddaughter's birthday party early on LOL). I think it's really important to know yourself & what you can live with - I really admire people who can stick with it 100% & not cheat - unfortunately that isn't me.
    And football - yep, you NEVER can predict what's gonna happen in SEC football, but this has been a crazy year all over for college football, hasn't it?? Funny thing, last Friday ESPN classics was showing an old UGA/Tenn football game from 1992 - I'm watching & suddenly realize "Hey, we were AT this game...we LOST this game!!!" Great game, but UGA ended up losing - lot closer that Saturday's game tho!
  • Quote: Thank you! How much do each of the little squares weigh?

I am so tired today. I woke up at 12:30 this morning and could not get back to sleep! Not a good way to be when you are a teacher. I am going home to try and get a little nap in. I am feeling really weird, hope it is the lack of sleep, not the diet..... Has anyone else had trouble sleeping?
    That reminds me - one of the recommended supplements on the handout you get in the beginning is 5-HTP. I don't remember them talking about it much at class or during the weight loss phase - but at my stabilization class it was highly recommended by the woman running the class. It raises serotonin levels so it can help with appetite control and with sleep. I take one in the morning now & one at night - at night I take it close to bedtime, if I take it with dinner I'm falling asleep watching TV. Oddly it doesn't make me sleepy during the day - funny how that works, maybe because I've had a good night's sleep usually. But I'm not groggy in the morning with it - I can roll over & go back to sleep if I want to, but when I get up, I'm up & awake (as awake as I ever am, not being a morning person). But other things like Tylenol PM (which is really just benadryl & tylenol, by the way) make me WAY groggy. So it might be something to ask your center about. MRC sells it, but you can get it lots cheaper at Target, WalMart, etc.
  • losingweightnow - CONGRATULATIONS on signing the 50lb board. I am so excited for you!!!! That is just amazing and life changing.

NanaDB - I was so excited to see you this morning at Curves!!! Since you get a week free, are you going to go every morning???? Hint, hint! I would love to do a real workout with you tomorrow morning. It's usually pretty tame around 7:15am. We miss the people that have to be at work during the day and get in before the retiree's Hope to see you there
  • Thanks for the welcome SHINEON!!
    I was at the cooking class Saturday when you guys were talking about this site so I thought I would give a try. Don't feel bad that you gained a little. That means you will probably have a big loss coming up. I too have only been on the plan for 5 weeks now. I gained the second week and then lost over 4 pounds the next week. So keep on going!!!. The lost couple of weeks I have only lost 1 1/2 pound each week. But at least I am not gaining. They told me to increase my water to 170 oz a day. I am up every two hours at night going to the bathroom. I hope it slows down soon. I will weigh in on Friday and hope to lose more than 1 1/2 pounds. Good luck with your next WI.
    Cindy
  • NanaDB: It was awesome to meet you this morning - even if I am a Weight Watcher crashing the MRC Weightloss Extravaganza!!! Curves is a great place to be. It's an efficient workout with good people working for the same kinds of goals to support you. Kudos to you on your progress already! Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow!
  • stressed57 - on the water vs bathroom! I bet that's what I did "wrong". I have a HUGE mug - 64 oz, and I drink 2 a day. I misplaced the mug for a few days. I didn't have it since last Friday and it was so hard to keep track of my water. I just guessed at what I was drinking. Now the aaha light went off, this weekend I was really hungry too. I bet it's all related to the water. With all that said, I've had a slow and steady weight loss all 4 weeks, so I can't be too upset with the slight gain. See you around the MRC!
  • I have a method for drinking and keeping track of the water. I put ten 16 ounce bottles of water in the fridge and during the day I drink all the bottles. When I finish drinking each bottle, I put it in the dishwasher, I run the dishwasher that night and in the morning, I refill the bottles and start all over again. I get a good week worth of uses out of the bottles and once a week I replace the bottles with new ones and the old ones go into the recycling bin.
  • There was some MSM discussion a few pages back... I've been on MSM at the recommendation of my center in Brandon and I haven't noticed any difference. I take 2 tabs at breakfast and 2 at lunch. Nothing before bed because I was told they can give you energy? Its funny to see every center's instructions, they are all different

I wondered if anyone is taking ENHANCER? I'm taking the All Day Weight Loss (along w/Flax, MRC6, Multi, Corti-Trim, Calcium, Psyllium Husk, B12) and thinking of giving it up for the Enhancer. Do you see either one of them working better than the other?

Thank you to everyone for all your creative recipes!
  • graduatethin - I also just started today on the official plan. I am also feeling really weird. I think it must be us getting used to it. I think any diet that puts you into ketosis provides a little shock to the body. Hopefully, it will go away soon. Just wanted to tell you that I also noticed the weirdness.
  • Hi everyone! Welcome to you new ones! Great to see some more Nebraskans here!

I had a 2 lb loss today! Whoo Hoo! I am now down 8.5 lbs in a week and a half! Hopefully I will be signing that 10 lb board on Thursday! I am amazed at how easy this is, except for all the cooking I have had to do. It seems I am always prepping, cooking, eating, cleaning, prepping, cooking, eating, cleaning.....! My kitchen has not seen me this much in years! I feel great and have more energy too.

I miss hearing from some of those who have been around a while...are you still there? We need your wisdom!!!!!

Have a great week all!