Active Folks Over Fifty -- #1

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • Wow! I'm so glad to see so many new posters! Welcome to all of you!

I've decided to change the name of this thread--from "Active Elders" to "Active Folks Over Fifty." I think more members will be able to relate to that name.

Today I walked for a mile, and this afternoon I'll go to our community fitness center.

Bill--I am amazed at those three million six hundred thousand some steps!

Thanks for the tips about cruises, meowee. I know they cost plenty... but the gratuity is separate most of the time, correct?

Jay
  • Glad to see things picking up a bit. . . and I definitely like the name change . . . not quite ready to be thought of as "an elder".

Wow . . . some of you are really walkers. Don't imagine I'll ever be one. Flat feet (seriously, I was born with them) do not walk well. One of the reasons I decided to get a Gazelle to see if I can get more active -- little stress on these pancakes . My Father had them too (guess that's where I got them). Kept him out of the service.

Right you are, JAY . . . gratuities are definitely extra when on a cruise.

On that topic . . . how do the rest of you decide what to tip for any kind of service? Do you just automatically do it and at a set level? Do you always tip something, but vary it based on the service? Do you withhold a tip completely, if the service warrants that kind of action? I probably follow the middle ground

I really, really hate those places that automatically add a gratuity. IMHO it's up to the front-line staff to make sure things are shared equally with those other employees that are not so visible to the public.

See you soon, gang . . .
  • Hi Everyone!
    I'm so glad the title was changed, because I wasn't going to read anything under the "Elder" category since I am not "Elderly!"
    But I am 51.
    Yes, I love the Omnivore's Dilemma. I almost don't want to finish it because I like it so much. And I don't find it dry reading at all. So if anyone wants to discuss, please count me in! I'm also reading (I always have several books going at once) Animal Vegetable Miracle.

And I love the thread rules; no grandkid bragging or bodypart whining. That's perfect for me! I have no kids and nothing interesting to whine about about regarding my body parts. Oh! My spleen! My spleen!

I have just started working out at the fancy gym around here and I can hardly believe it but I'm liking it! Except for the cardio stuff that is; that will take me a while to get back in the groove of. I love all the new weight/resistance gizmos that are out now since the last time I was a gym-attendee.

Hope everyone is well and active today!
    jo
  • I have been walking 30 minutes a day. It is still not easy for me, but I notice that I have cut a little time off of the route. I started out taking 12 minutes to walk my circle. Now it is taking me only ten. I do it three times.

I am anticipating that, ultimately, I might work up to 5 or 6 times around. I happen to like the repetitiveness of this routine. I know some folks crave variety, but I like not having to think about what I am doing.

I did notice the last couple of days that, during my walk, I have managed to get into the state that whatever I might be thinking about blocks out my surroundings. I like this feeling - it is like daydreaming or meditating.

My DH and I enjoy taking back roads. We have an old Thomas Guide to the state of California that shows lots of secondary routes. We often find that the scenery is more interesting and certainly the slower pace is more relaxing than the freeway. We always haul enough food to feed an army on these trips, so we stop and picnic. Sometimes, on these back roads, we see remnants of our past, and it is a really nice way to spend quality time together.

I recently bought a new Thomas guide. It is not nearly as extensive as the old one that I got at a yardsale for a buck. I guess the original Thomas has been bought out by Rand McNally, and the maps are different.
  • Spinymouse, I always have multiple books going. I have started listening to books on tape/cd while I drive (35 min. commute). So now I am doing all of my light "reading" in the car.

I am reading Ann Fletcher's Thin for life books and Barbara Rolls Volumetrics for weight maintenance inspiration. I read a little every night in bed - just like the spiritual stuff!

I still need to finish the omnivore. I am going to buy the book because I think it is something I might like to reread. Lets see how many are interested in a discussion and we will try it. Someone will help us set it up, I am sure.
  • On the topic of tipping: At restaurants I tip 20% or $2, whichever is more. It's just easier.

Jay
  • I just checked into this thread. It is an interesting idea. Hope all the enthusiasm will rub off on ME!!!

I can enjoy exercise a lot, and just as I am feeling really great, something happens that I can't get enough energy to do another thing for weeks. Anyone else have this problem....I don't think it is all motivation problems, as when I am in the swing of exercising I really enjoy it. I usually do walking, bicycling, videos, and cross recumbant trainer (machine). I would like to get started in weight lifting......does anyone know of a good beginner video on the topic?????????

For those of us in our 60's.....you 50 somethings....are babies!!!!! I remember how great I felt at 50........do your best to enjoy it!!!!

Most of my "reading" is on cd's. I take long trips frequently, and have found that cd's keep me awake on long drives, as well as gives me a chance to actually finish an otherwise boring book. I will have to look into some of the books mentioned here.......one book that was recommended to me was "The China Study". Has anyone read it? I have the book, and so far haven't lifted the cover to see what it is about!

All from here!
  • At my community fitness center, I recently met "Bob." Bob bicycles to the fitness center every afternoon. He walks on the treadmill, rides the exercise bike, and uses the elliptical machine. Bob is in his mid-80s, I'd say, and guess what, he's not overweight. Bob is a real inspiration to me when I "don't feel like exercising."

moxiesd, welcome to the thread! I don't know any basic weight lifting videos--perhaps some of our other posters do. I learned how to do it at the YMCA years ago--they often have beginning classes and/or one-on-one orientation sessions there.

You could also post your question over in the Exercise Forum!

Jay
  • OMG . . . Wow for Bob. I did a little pretend bicycling this morning and was reminded of the fact that I still have calf muscles.

Hi Margaret . . . At least you like exercise while you are doing it. I don't. However, I intend to force myself to do something everyday this month. Maybe I can start a new habit. I hope so anyway. I haven't even heard of that book. Will have to take a look for it.

On the tipping thing, Jay . . . I tend to 'tip the tax' (14% to 15%) for average service; 20% for good; and 10% for below par. For downright rotten (which I haven't experienced in years) I'd be tempted to forget the whole thing.

Gail . . . have you looked at the review of "Thin for Life" in the Maintainers Forum?

Yay Jo . . . glad we were able to entice you over to join us. I usually have more than one book on the go, too . . . but most of them are light fiction . . . love mysteries and science fiction.

Have a great day, gang . . . see you again soon . . .
  • Wow...we all should get to know Bob.

I have The China Study in hand, "Everyone in the field of nutrition science stands on the shoulders of Dr Campbell, who is one of the giants in the field. This is one of the most important books about nutrition ever written - reading it may save your life." Dean Ornish, MD

The China Study Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health T. Colin Campbell, PHD and Thomas M Cambell II

Looks impressive....guess I will have to start reading it!!

Margaret
  • Oh...the tipping thing....very interesting. I usually do 20%, never thought of looking at the tax for an estimate.....don't think the taxes in SD are at 14% though.

One day I got really rotten service....from a really rotten waitress.....very very bad. For some dumb reason I still gave a tip. Anyone else do that????

Not sure whether I'd do that again or not. Probably the gal was going to get fired anyway....maybe she just needed a kind deed. Anyway, I usually leave a tip....I have heard that women seldom give tips, so I make sure to leave one. Anyone notice "sex discrimination" on being waited on (or not), when there are only females at a table, vs a table of males, or a mixed table?

Margaret
  • I just wish that people in the food and beverage industry would simply be paid a decent wage and then do away with the tipping custom. I know that would cause the price of the food and drink to go up but at least it would be simpler that way. I tend to tip 15 -20 % or a dollar per drink at a bar, but it always seems awkward and degrading to the server to me; I feel like I'm throwing scraps to a dog or something.
  • Quote: I just wish that people in the food and beverage industry would simply be paid a decent wage and then do away with the tipping custom. I know that would cause the price of the food and drink to go up but at least it would be simpler that way. I tend to tip 15 -20 % or a dollar per drink at a bar, but it always seems awkward and degrading to the server to me; I feel like I'm throwing scraps to a dog or something.
    Two very good points Jo . . . I fully agree with the first one . . . and the second brought up something I have never even thought of before . . . thank you for your wise input.

Your question on sexual discrimination in the food service industry brings up interesting thoughts too, Margaret. Leads my mind in a couple of directions. (a) I, too have heard that men are better tippers . . . I wonder if it is because most of the serving staff are female . . . how are they when it comes to tipping male servers? (b) personally, I've never felt that my party received different service because of the male/female makeup of the group. But . . . if (a) is true, it would seem to follow that (b) might also be true. Interesting stuff to think about.

That brings up another question . . . anyone have first hand experience from the point of view of the server? I've never worked in that capacity (even while in school) so have no first-hand knowledge.

BTW . . . think I might hop on over to the Amazon link to see about picking up a copy of the China Study.

See you soon gang . . .
  • I heard an interview on NPR with someone who is waitstaff--don't you love that term?--and he said that servers really do notice how much people tip, and if you want to get good tables and good service at your regular place, leave a good tip.

It's funny--I had heard that sometimes women tip more to compensate or something--out of empathy? But maybe that was just a rumor.

I have been known to leave no tip if the service is crummy, btw. But it has to be the server's problem, not the kitchen's.

You folks in Canada pay a lot in tax!

I made it to the fitness center yesterday evening, and just getting there was a struggle! But I did it.

Are there any martial artists, or former martial artists, out there?

Jay
  • "You folks in Canada pay a lot in tax!"

You really know how to hurt a gal, JAY . . . thanks for the reminder . . . Basically it splits to half Federal and half Provincial. I never seem to think about it when I'm picking stuff up in the store . . . always such a 'nice' surprise when you get to the cash register. NOT . . .