shiritaki noodles

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • What are shiritaki noodles? Where do you find them? Are they lower in starch than regular noodles?
  • The are "noodles" made from tofu. 1/2pkg counts as 1 condiment. You find them in the organic produce section of your store.
  • Okay ... I'll look for them. Thank you !!!
  • Oh man-I made the best dinner last night-tilapia and fettucine alfredo with the shiritaki noodles. They were soooooo good I thought there is no way I can eat this on plan. I added broccoli to it-I could see adding chicken also. Yummy-I may eat this every night

The recipe is in the main dish section BTW . . . . .
  • Thanks JM.. I've been missing alfredo...
  • JM - I've done the noodles as a stir fry w/shrimp and chinese veggies and they were just ok. So the alfredo is yummy, huh? I was thinking of giving it another try but wasn't sure...
  • I wonder if I could substitue the FF sour cream in the recipe for FF condensed skim milk like I do with the clam chowder. I hate sour cream...
  • Speaking of clam chowder... still waiting for that recipe!

I would think the sour cream thickens the sauce a bit, but it can't hurt to try. Would you really know there was a dash or sour cream in it though once it was all mixed together? Maybe you can ask Lizzy to make this one and she can trick you.
  • The thing with the noodles is that I prep the heck out of them to get rid of the funny texture issue as much as possible. I rinse them well, boil them for 3 minutes, rinse again and them-no matter what kind of recipe I use-I still them back in the pot I boiled them in and sort of pan-fry on high heat for a couple of minutes, constantly stirring. This helps a lot-especially for stir fry. And i also noticed that when I made spaghetti-I wasn't crazy about it the night I made it-but when I nuked it the next day it was really good.

Dan-re the sour cream-I really didn't taste it . . . .but maybe you could sub ff mayo?
  • Cool, thanks. Maybe I can make this as a planned lunch. I've made them by rinsing them in the collander for a LONG time, and then draining well, and then laying them on paper towels and drying them and then repeating that process. The pan thing sounds easier and cleaner.
  • You didn't boil them?
  • No, I just did all that and then added them to the stirfry which I cooked a lot. Then I added the shrimp at the end. They weren't really chewy, either, so if the boiling helps, I'll probably love it.
  • Yeah-it should help a lot . . .
  • Quote: Speaking of clam chowder... still waiting for that recipe!

I would think the sour cream thickens the sauce a bit, but it can't hurt to try. Would you really know there was a dash or sour cream in it though once it was all mixed together? Maybe you can ask Lizzy to make this one and she can trick you.
    I know I know.. I meant to do it last night, but fell asleep earlier than usual..

I'll try to get to it tonight.. Promise!
  • Quote: The thing with the noodles is that I prep the heck out of them to get rid of the funny texture issue as much as possible. I rinse them well, boil them for 3 minutes, rinse again and them-no matter what kind of recipe I use-I still them back in the pot I boiled them in and sort of pan-fry on high heat for a couple of minutes, constantly stirring. This helps a lot-especially for stir fry. And i also noticed that when I made spaghetti-I wasn't crazy about it the night I made it-but when I nuked it the next day it was really good.
    Julie, the best system I found for the noodles is to rinse them well under hot water, then while the noodles are still wet run them through the salad spinner. Then instead of boiling them, I nuke them in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Then finally I toss them right in with the stir-fry for the last 30 seconds.

Works like a charm every time, warm noodles no fishy smell!