How to find a "live" and local support group?

• Hello all.

I've lurked here for some time and am ready to get my butt moving. I'm 38, on medical leave for depression and a gain of over 100 pounds in the last year puts me in the 300+ category.

My doctors have recommeded I join a local depression group. They want me to rely on the internet less.

But how does one find one that works for them? I'm done a few on-line searches but now what?

I tried Over-eaters anonymous last year but just didn't feel comfortable with the groups. I am willing to try another group but would probably go with Emotions anonymous given my current condition.

Any recommendations? My searches just seem so overwhelming.
  • Hi Paula, and Welcome !!!

Please know that you are not alone in your struggles

For a support group in your area, the only thing I can think of right now is to call the local hospitals. They usually have meetings and groups for either depression and/or weight loss. I know here in NJ I see them advertising all the time in the news papers. If they don't then maybe their dietitiion from the hospital can direct you to the right person who can help.

I hope this helps !!

Hope to see you on the daily threads, maybe we can help as well. THis site is WONDERFUL!!!

Leenie
  • Thank you Leenie.

I found a phone number for a Depression group clearhouse here in SE Michigan. They were able to give me leads on a few different groups. Now to fit them into my schedule / life.

& I do plan to log on here more often.

Paula