Why should I go to a gyn?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I had regular pap smears and all that for years and years. However, I had a hysterectomy in 1988. In 1994 they had to go back in and get the remaining ovary because it, too, was developing tumors. Now I have nothing in there. Why do some people continue to go to a gyn? For me, there is nothing to pap. No cerv. No nothing.
  • Maybe this is something you should ask your general practice doctor about vs the Internet.
  • Yea, I agree with Nelie. But based off of what I've read online, the general consensus is that you should still have an annual or bi-annual (depending on what your doc says) checkup for possible STDs, infections, and overall, preventative health- you still can get ovarian cancer without ovaries, etc. I personally would keep going just to be on the safe side.
  • For instance, now they recommend a pap smear only every 3 years. But women are still supposed to go to the gyn every year for a "well woman" appointment. Check for STDs, other infections, check the tissue of the vagina for healthiness, etc. I suggest if you havent been in a long time, to see a doctor, and then ask him or her how often they think you should be examined given your medical history.
  • IA. Seems like this would be a very important issue to discuss with your doctor.
  • Quote: you still can get ovarian cancer without ovaries, etc. I personally would keep going just to be on the safe side.
    How on earth can that happen?
  • Thanks for the input. I guess I'll check with my PCP. Seems like a useless OV because there is no way I can have any STDs. Can't say about other infections except for the fact that I don't exhibit any symptoms.

Guess I'll find out.
  • Think about breast cancer screening! (unless your family doctor can do that? I'm not that familiar with the US health system)
  • Quote: Think about breast cancer screening! (unless your family doctor can do that? I'm not that familiar with the US health system)
    Just had my mammogram at the beginning of the month. I was very happy to receive the "See Ya Toots. Come back in a year because everything is clear" letter.
  • Quote: - you still can get ovarian cancer without ovaries, etc.
    Quote: How on earth can that happen?
    I have endometrial cancer and my understanding that even after I have my hysterectomy I still have to be tested for 5 years to see if it came back. I won't have a uterus but can still have recurring cancer from it. Our bodies sure are mysteries.
  • Quote: I have endometrial cancer and my understanding that even after I have my hysterectomy I still have to be tested for 5 years to see if it came back. I won't have a uterus but can still have recurring cancer from it. Our bodies sure are mysteries.
    I know you do. I posted something about it in a thread somewhere on here. Prayers are yours.

My ovaries were removed because they kept getting tumors. They were not cancerous but they kept coming back. That is why I asked the question.

I had a skin cancer and had to have it checked every 6 months for 2 years to be sure it stayed away. It has.

Please keep us updated on your condition.
  • Thank you.

Maybe if you go to one more gyn appointment, you can find out if you should return every year?
  • Quote: Thank you.

Maybe if you go to one more gyn appointment, you can find out if you should return every year?
    I'll be sending a note to my PCP and ask.
  • I don't understand why american women go to the gyno so often either. Our gp does all the screening necessary and sends you to the gyno when something comes up. You don't even see a gyn/ob when you are pregnant unless their is a problem. That seems to work fine.
  • You still have a vagina, right? Vaginal cancer.