Kind of a cool little chart

• It's neat to see how much we pay to eat fresh vs. canned or frozen. http://newswatch.nationalgeographic....nd-vegetables/
  • It's a cool concept, but they don't match item to item (making it hard to see which is more expensive) and then they compare dollars per pound to dollars to serving - which are not equal - that is just dumb as you can't then compare the costs!

For me, I buy half our veggies fresh and half frozen. Some things survive the freezing process relatively unscathed - collard, mustard, spinach greens, peas, corn. But some things are mush when previously frozen - brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

For fruits, we buy a lot of frozen (unsweetened) fruits for smoothies as it's usually cheaper than fresh. We'll have fresh when it's in season and cheaper. Apples we buy year round.
  • Doesn't a lot of it depend on where you live, what's in season, etc.? Some veggies are crazy expensive right now so we've switched to frozen.
  • Ya, thats what I thought too.... One of the comments on the chart said "Cherries for $1.72? When was this data collected, the '90s?" lol
  • Lol! It's either that or wait for a sale. I've been buying red peppers when they're on sale for $0.99 a pound and roasting them. It's cheaper than buying the jarred roasted red peppers. If they're not on sale then it's more expensive to buy them and roast them myself :/