non-diet based weight loss books?

• I know there are tons of diet based weight loss books but I was wondering if you all have any recommendations for any other books of a similar nature? For example... I'm not looking for "The South Beach Diet" or anything like that. Maybe something about lifestyle changes, encouragement, excercising, etc etc etc. Anything you can think of really.
    Anything??
  • Read I'm Not The New Me by Wendy McClure. It is really funny whether you are trying to lose or not.
  • Also the books by Jillian Michaels. I have read Wining by Losing. Good book.
  • My fave is New Rules of Lifting for Women, which covers lifestyle, diet, and rest as well as the obvious. If you're not interested in strength training, though, it's probably not for you.

One of the authors of NRoLW, Cassandra Forsythe, has a new book, The Women's Health Perfect Body Diet. I haven't read it, but it's getting rave reviews by bloggers I trust for its holistic and woman-centered approach.

// be strong
  • I'm probably going to butcher the spelling of the author's name, but "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wasniak (?) was a big help to me on getting portions under control.
  • Don't sweat the small stuff (..and it's all the small stuff) ---I can't remember the author's name off the top of my head but the book shouldn't be hard to find on amazon.com
  • Judith Beck's books--especially her first one. She applies cognitive behavioral therapy to the process of making changes in eating and health, and helps you practice dealing with sabotaging thoughts. There's a great Beck thread on 3FC as well, under General Diets I think.

I also second Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating--really interesting stuff.
  • I love *French Women Don't Get Fat*. It's a fun read and loosely extols the virtues of moderation and intuitive eating.

Mostly, though, it's just fun.
  • Quote: Read I'm Not The New Me by Wendy McClure. It is really funny whether you are trying to lose or not.
    I will have to look that one up, never heard of it.

Quote: Also the books by Jillian Michaels. I have read Wining by Losing. Good book.
    I've never seen TBL before so I am don't know much about JM. How do the books go for you, from what you have read of them?

Quote: My fave is New Rules of Lifting for Women, which covers lifestyle, diet, and rest as well as the obvious. If you're not interested in strength training, though, it's probably not for you.

One of the authors of NRoLW, Cassandra Forsythe, has a new book, The Women's Health Perfect Body Diet. I haven't read it, but it's getting rave reviews by bloggers I trust for its holistic and woman-centered approach.

// be strong
    I am very interested in strength training and firmly believe everyone should incorporate some into their weekly routines. And I will have to check out the Forsythe book too, I think that would be good for all of us in the household.

Quote: I'm probably going to butcher the spelling of the author's name, but "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wasniak (?) was a big help to me on getting portions under control.
    I am a BIG mindless eater. I had to slowly curb mine by not buying chips, then transitioned to a small bag of popcorn, then cutting celery up into little bite sized bits, and then stopping the celery and I've been a whole week without mindless eating!

Quote: Don't sweat the small stuff (..and it's all the small stuff) ---I can't remember the author's name off the top of my head but the book shouldn't be hard to find on amazon.com
    I know a lot of people like this one, though I've never been interested in it. I'd have to glance through it for sure though

Quote: Judith Beck's books--especially her first one. She applies cognitive behavioral therapy to the process of making changes in eating and health, and helps you practice dealing with sabotaging thoughts. There's a great Beck thread on 3FC as well, under General Diets I think.

I also second Brian Wansink's Mindless Eating--really interesting stuff.
    I have been in Dialectal behavior Therapy (similar to cognative) since 2003 to deal with my Borderline Personality Disorder. I never thought about applying it to eating health. But I can see how my DBT can easily be applied to it. Are you familar with Marsha Linehan?? She has written a lot about CBT and DBT.

Quote: I love *French Women Don't Get Fat*. It's a fun read and loosely extols the virtues of moderation and intuitive eating.

Mostly, though, it's just fun.
    I had heard of this in the past and wanted to read it, but had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto ... this book spends a lot of time on the real reason a lot of us have trouble losing weight - the mental part.
  • Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat was entertaining.

Good Calories, Bad Calories (Gary Taubes) has a good bit of science on weight gain/loss, but can sometimes get too far into the "carbs are Satan" territory.

Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food are great.

None of these are really "diet" books, but they all deal with the diety/nutritiony stuff on one level or another.
  • I also liked Jillian Michaels Winning By Losing. It's broken down into three parts- basically dealing with the emotional/mental aspect and the science behind weight loss. there are some recipes and a lot of exercises in the back. I found the first two parts very helpful.
  • Beck Diet Solution, Body Esteem, Think Thin, Be Thin, and there are more but I can't think of the name.