Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

I am posting the recipe for my "mashed roasted eggplant" from the first black team chat into this thread so we can find it.

I love eggplant, it is my favorite vegetable! My family background is Indian, and there are lots of Indian dishes that feature the eggplant as the main ingredient. If you want inspiration, take a look in an Indian cookbook at the bookstore or library, there will likely be some eggplant recipes in there. One of the dishes I really like is a roasted mashed eggplant, often found on restaurant menus as "baigan bherta." To make it is messy because you have to roast the entire eggplant on a gas burner and the juices spill out everywhere. My mom and I came up with a microwaved version since she doesn't have time to stand over the stove and roast the eggplant and I have an electric stove so no roasting happening on that. To keep it simple, we omitted the Indian spices and just used what you would likely have in your spice cabinet.

Cut a 1 lb eggplant into 1 inch cubes, and place in a microwave dish. Microwave until tender, this could take up 15+ minutes for a large 1 lb eggplant. Once it is tender, use your potato masher (or a spoon if you don't have one) and mash the eggplant into a mushy, pulpy consistency.

Chop 1/2 onion and chop a few cloves of garlic (or use the pre-chopped stuff from a jar like I do to save time). Heat up your pan with 1 tbsp of oil (or less oil, but it will be a little less tasty) and sautee 2 tsp garlic for 30 second to 1 minute, followed by the onion. Saute the onion until cooked, and then add 1/2 can of Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomato and saute that. To give it a spicy kick, you can add some red pepper flakes or ground red pepper at this time to your desired level of hot. Saute the tomato for a few minutes to start getting rid of the juices, and add in the eggplant. Add salt to your desired level. Saute everything to incorporate it all in with the eggplant for a few minutes until it the water from the tomato is gone and the whole dish is a more dry consistency, not soupy and wet.

When sauteeing the onions and can tomato, you could also add some other vegetables like peas or small chopped carrots to get more veggies into the dish. You could also add some cooked potato either in small chunks or mashed in with the eggplant. Adding green onion and cooking it with the regular onion is also a good addition. Although you could use fresh tomato or regular canned/diced tomato, the Hunts Fire Roasted Tomato adds that element of "roasted" to the dish since we aren't going through the trouble of actually roasting the eggplant.

You can eat it as a veggie side dish or you could put it between bread, toast it, and eat it as a sandwich too.

The first time I made this on my own, it tasted a little bland compared to what my mom made. The difference was in the oil. She added 1 tbsp of canola oil to sautee the garlic and onions which isn't too bad since it is 1 tbsp for the entire eggplant, while I was trying to get by on 1 tsp. Just a consideration.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #17  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

thanks for reposting your recipe orthodiva. I'm going grocery shopping today and want to try some of the recipes that were posted in the other thread.

Soulbliss - to your question I will guess - Jicama, kohlrabi or celeriac but I wouldn't bet against you because you seem quite adventuresome.

It's supposed to warm up this week and one of my favorite light salads that goes great with fish, pork or chicken is:

Spinach Fruit Salad
serves 2

1/2 bag baby spinach leaves (must be baby spinach, not the curly leaf style)
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 small can mandarin orange segments, drained
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
lowfat raspberry vinagrette
optional crumbles of gorgonzola cheese

Mix all ingredients. Add vinegrette to taste. Let chill. Enjoy.

Sometimes I add cold, diced chicken breast and have this for my lunch.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #18  
TBL Black Team Member

S/C/G: 253/237/153

Height: 5'8"

OOOhhhhh!! Those 2 recipes sound so good!! I'll have to pick up an eggplant for sure now. I love indian food, it's my favorite.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #19  
Laurie

My neighbor brought me over some mushrooms he found in the woods. Before trying to lose weight, I would cook them in butter and cracker crumbs. I love fresh mushrooms and I now do not have a clue how to prepare them that would be healthier. Any suggestions?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #20  
TBL Black Team Member

S/C/G: 253/237/153

I make a little foil packet and put the mushrooms in with a drizzle of olive oil, then put some chopped garlic, spices, etc. and BBQ it. YUM!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #21  
Laurie

OHHHHHHH that sounds so good. I think I'll throw some burgers on the grill and the 'shrooms. Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #22  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I DARE you or anyone else to try and find a vegetable I haven't eaten!
I know what you mean, I think I have tried almost everything. Have you ever been to North Park Produce, Soul? If you haven't, you have to go: they have tons of stuff....4 different types of eggplants, broccoli rabe, kohlrabi, several lettuce varieties, celery root, afghan melons, a huge selection of chili peppers, the standard stuff, persimmons, fresh almonds (!), literally green from the tree, about 7 varieties of feta cheese in the deli case, etc. It's really cheap, too. It's my favorite food place, I go every week.

happy2bme: wow, that salad sounds fantastic! I am going to have to try that.

orthodiva: I made your buffalo chicken burgers last night and they were sooooo good! We grilled them. I didn't have any onion, so I used onion powder. I topped them with more of the sauce (I used Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce). You should post the recipe here so everyone else can share in their goodness! Thanks again for the recipe.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #23  
Choose your hard

Oooooh - I am definitely going to try those mushrooms

2 Recipes for Green Beans -

Zero- WW POINTS-Roasted Green Beans and Fresh Tomato
Makes four, one cup servings

Ingredients
• 3 sprays olive oil cooking spray
• 4 cups green beans, trimmed and cut in half
• 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half (or quartered, if large)
• 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into ribbons, divided
• 2 tsp finely minced garlic, or less to taste
• 1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste

Cooking Instructions• Preheat oven to 450ºF. Coat a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
• Place green beans in a single layer in prepared pan and coat with cooking spray. Roast until desired doneness, stirring once or twice, about 10 to 15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of basil, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
• When green beans are finished, remove from oven and spoon tomato mixture into pan; toss thoroughly. Serve hot, room temperature or chilled, topped with remaining 2 tablespoons of basil. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
==============================================

I also like to steam green beans with thinly sliced strips of red bell pepper. I find steaming on the stove for 20 minutes does better than nuking them in the microwave. Sometimes the microwave makes them a little on the rubbery side. Add a little salt and pepper, spritz a bit of olive oil if you're needing to get your oil supplement for the day or a spray or two of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #24  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Default Zero Fat Mushrooms

Hey teamies...

I made up my mushrooms for the week yesterday, I prepare them ahead so I can throw them into sandwiches, wraps, eggs, or pasta all week long.

Here is the method:

4-6 cups thick sliced mushrooms (I used crimini and button)
1/4 cup Sherry wine--any kind you like

Cook in a non-stick pan over medium heat to desired softness. The mushrooms will release a bit of water while cooking. Drain the liquid and store them in a covered container in the fridge for about a week.

They are DELISH! So fragrant and wonderful.

4 cups mushrooms=72 calories
1/4 sherry wine=80 calories
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #25  
Mind over platter

Ok, even if you cannot IMAGINE eating an eggplant, this recipe is fantastic! I will post my modifications in red, it turned out great! YUM.

Wash eggplant and cut the stem end off. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Salt each side of eggplant slice with coarse salt, like sea salt or kosher salt and place on a rack for 20 to 30 minutes (like a cookie cooling rack). The eggplant will sweat little beads of water. Dry eggplant slices with a paper towel or cloth removing most of the salt as you wipe it off. Mix up the ingredients below in a bowl wide enough for dipping. IMPORTANT, Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil, saves a ton of time for clean up and place the rack back over the cookie sheet. I just dipped each eggplant slice into the mix and then placed it on the rack. I poured the extra sauce on the top of the bigger slices. Mine took about 3 minutes per side under the broiler.

Eggplant Steaks
Recipe: Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats

Original recipe

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup thick steak sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
8 (1/2-inch) eggplant slices
1 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional

In a small bowl whisk together the Worcestershire, steak sauce, olive oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Pat your eggplant dry with paper towels. With a pastry brush apply the sauce to both sides of the eggplant. Place eggplant rounds onto a sheet tray fitted with a rack. Place the tray under the broiler for until eggplant is nicely browned, approximately 2 minutes. Turn slices over and place back under broiler to brown the other side. Generously sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan over all of the slices. Place back under the broiler for 1 minute to nicely brown the cheese. Serve plain or sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs.

My Diet Friendly Modifications that I did last night:

1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup thick steak sauce
1/8 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 large eggplant cut into 1/2-inch round slices (I had 10 slices)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

I sprinkled a bit of shredded Parmesan on each one, probably less than 1/2 cup for all. You can use as much or as little as your diet calls for. I think they'd be great plain too, especially in a sandwich.

Here is another one...I keep this on hand (lasts about 5 days) and put a few tablespoons in sandwiches as an alternative to mayonnaise!! Its great on whole wheat pasta with red sauce, or just plain as a side dish at dinner.

Sautéed Eggplant

1 large eggplant (about 1-1/2 pounds), ends trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
or alternatively spray oil on non-stick pan and use 1 cup chicken broth instead of oil for lower fat!
Ground black pepper
1 medium garlic clove, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
2 to 4 tablespoons minced parsley or finely shredded fresh basil

Heat oil over medium-high heat in heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet until it shimmers and becomes fragrant. Add eggplant cubes and sauté until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is fully tender and lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in pepper to taste and add garlic. Cook to blend flavors, about 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in herbs, adjust seasonings, and serve.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #26  
Choose your hard

I'm so excited! I went grocery shopping tonight and bought an eggplant - I think I got the "boy" eggplant too Also got some great stuffing mushrooms. Can't wait to try these recipes this week. Thanks for posting them!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #27  
Mind over platter

Orthodiva--

I am going to try your recipe for mashed roasted eggplant tomorrow! Looking fwd to it! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #28  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post

Soulbliss - to your question I will guess - Jicama, kohlrabi or celeriac but I wouldn't bet against you because you seem quite adventuresome.
I LOVE kohlrabi (purple, green and white) steamed and eaten with Earth Balance, garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Jicama tastes a a lot more starchy than it actually is, carb wise and so I like it for dipping etc.

Celeriac is good cooked with cauliflower to make a low carb "mashed potato" type dish. It's good grated and raw too.

Not only do I eat and enjoy those things, I've actually had all of those this WEEK even!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #29  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooworld View Post
I know what you mean, I think I have tried almost everything. Have you ever been to North Park Produce, Soul?
Yes, it is a GREAT place to shop!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #30  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Well, I finally had my eggplant last night. I made an Indian curry. It was good and low cal. I am taking that to school today for lunch. I'm probably going to have a hard time getting my calories in today because I'm having soup for dinner. I guess I will just have to add a nice big salad. I just don't want to get too full.