Old 12-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #1  

Default How to get enough water

I hear a lot of conflicting things about drinking water. I've heard you need to drink 8 12-oz. glasses a day, a gallon a day, 8 glasses plus one glass for every 10 lbs. etc....

I'm never sure if I'm drinking enough water. It's bad enough that I can't sit through a movie or sleep through the night because I'm always in the bathroom, yet despite exercise and following a food plan, I'm not really losing any weight.

One problem is that I can't stand to drink cold water in cold weather. I drink herbal tea or decaffeinated tea, or water at room temperature. I think I get 60 oz. (8 12-oz.) at day. I don't think I could stand to drink more because I have no life as it is....unless everyone is willing to talk to me through the bathroom door.

Any suggestions?
Ms. Tibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #2  
singletrack chick

there are new studies out on water intake that say the 8 glasses a day thing is bull. most people can get away with a liter a day. this is how i gauge my hydration. if my pee is pale, then i'm hydrated. not clear, i don't go that far because by the time my pee is clear, i am going every 30 minutes and i hate that. if my pee is not pale, i up the water intake. i drink one to two liters a day and stay hydrated. i run as well. in the summer, i probably drink closer to three liters a day because i sweat so much more. let your body be the judge of how much you need.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I have also heard that the 8 - 8-oz glasses of water being necessary really isn't substantiated in the literature, though keeping hydrated probably has MANY benefits that shouldnt' be ignored (though I don't know how many of them have been verified other than anacdotally).

So, let's assume it's important to drink. If you're getting 60 oz of water, you are probably fine. You can also get water in a lot of ways. Drinking decaf tea is a great way. Apparently, the idea of caffeine serving as a diuretic is not as much a negative as it has been portrayed, so you could drink caffeinated tea or even coffee (though caffeine may have other issues).

You also get fluids in other beverages, like milk, and in fruit.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM   #4  
Egy Kis Lany

I have read (many places) that sipping smaller amounts of water throughout the day is better than just chugging all your water in 1 or 2 sittings.
And that makes sense... it helps keep your fluid levels level, and it means that the water won't run right through your system all at once.
PhysDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

First off, if you're drinking 8 x 12 oz, you're getting 96 oz a day, not 60! And as for the rest, I've read the same thing, judge by the color of your urine. Light is good. Also, if you're just starting you will have to go more, but your body does adapt and you won't be running to the bathroom quite as often. You can also cut off your fluid intake early in the evening and hopefully put off the getting up in the middle of the night thing. I never drink ice water, or even cold water. Usually room temperature. If you don't like tap water, find a bottled water you like the taste off, or drink your water with your meals. I find I can get at least 1/2 of mine in this way, plus if you're eating out it saves the cost of another beverage.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #6  
LLV

I just drink enough to keep me satisfied and hydrated and don't worry about it.

I used to literally mark down my glasses of water and make sure I'd drink a certain amount every day. But I don't do that anymore. I love ice water and walk around with a glass of it all day long, so I believe I get enough.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #7  
Movin on down the scale

I drink a Lot of water, but you should be getting the equivalent (sp) of 8 8oz glasses of fluids per day, some of this does come naturally from your food. So if you are drinking 33 (1litre) of actual water, as long as your not toooooo active you should be getting enough fluids from that and your food intake.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I drink 64oz a day. Any less, and I notice Im craving things I shouldnt have. Its surprising the fine line between hunger and thirst. I always have water first when I "think" Im hungry. Its almost always thrist.

I pour my water 1st thing in the morning and by the time I get to drinking (around noon) its warmed up. I always drink thru a straw....makes it easier to get it all in.

Once your body is used to drinking this amount, the trips to the bathroom are alot less frequent. (Honest)
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Once your body is used to drinking this amount, the trips to the bathroom are alot less frequent. (Honest)
Robin is right. When I first started drinking more water, I was in and out of the bathroom all day long. But now it's not as often. And even though I don't 'count' how much water I drink anymore, I still drink quite a bit, all day long. Sometimes I think I drink TOO much because my urine is clear some days. I don't think it's supposed to be totally clear.

And it's not that I'm trying to drink too much water, I just love the stuff.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #10  
banned

you dont need much more than a gallon. i drink a gallon but it depends sometimes only 1/2 g i find the bigger the container the more i drink. i like to empty qt size powerade bottles and fill em up i usually drink 3-4 of those plus 1 filled w decaffed tea
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaphilip3
you dont need much more than a gallon. i drink a gallon but it depends sometimes only 1/2 g i find the bigger the container the more i drink. i like to empty qt size powerade bottles and fill em up i usually drink 3-4 of those plus 1 filled w decaffed tea
A gallon is a LOT of water for anyone!

The question about 'how much water' and 'how to get enough H20' comes up quite a bit on the forums.

Check out this post I wrote back in August 2005...

which refers to another post from July 2005 which includes links to studies which have been done quite recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Interesting reading - particularly that second study which found, for example:
  • The liquid found in foods we eat counts towards your water intake.
  • Despite popular belief, caffeine-containing beverages such as coffee, tea, soda, etc all count towards water intake.
  • "Thirst is too late" is a myth.

As someone who used to shoot for a gallon or more of water a day myself, I have to admit that I'm GLAD for this study. Now, I drink water when I feel like it (usually during the day and when I'm working out, tapering off at night) and I've stopped monitoring my water intake.
In fact back in 2002, these studies were already being reported on a national level - witness this article from CNN titled "How Much Water do we Really Need?"

PLEASE don't think that you MUST drink a gallon of water a day...however that's not to say water is BAD as the CNN medical correspondent pointed out in the above-linked article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Cohen, CNN
So the bottom line here is that the eight eight-ounce glasses a day appears to be conventional wisdom. We don't really know what the real answer is, but you can sort of use common sense. And just know that you need to keep yourself hydrated. You start to get a headache, you start to get thirsty, start to get a dry mouth, means you're not drinking enough...

Water is great. There is no reason not to drink water. I mean drink, drink, drink. Go to town on water. It's not going, obviously, to do anything for you; it can only do good. It's just that that eight glasses that we've all had stuck in our head -- I know I sometimes spend a day going, Let's see, I had a glass there, a glass here, does that add up to eight? You know you don't need to be that neurotic.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the links, Mrs. Jim. I knew I'd seen them somewhere!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #13  

Default Water

When does one's body adapt? I've been dieting for more than 4 months and it's getting worse rather than better. I have even been checked for a UTI!

I've only heard of one case where drinking too much is dangerous. People think marathoners keel over because they're dehydrated, but they found many are overhydrated and are suffering from hyponatrimia, a condition where your body is depleted of salts.

Interesting note: Comedian/social commentator Lewis Black observed that before we drank bottled water that we have to buy, no one had to be "hydrated" and drink a minimum amount each day. Hmmm. Coincidence?

(And yeah, I should've checked my math).
Ms. Tibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #14  

Height: 5'3"

The only way I am able to get all of my water intake in is to pour some lime or lemon juice in for flavor. Definitely recommend it!
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #15  

Last edited by Smilla; 02-17-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Smilla is offline   Reply With Quote