Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Default Refried beans and salsa burrito- the healthy, cheap version

I have a lot of work to do today, and have decided to procrastinate on 3FC instead ^_^.

So, first, here's a great recipe for burritos using homemade refried beans my fiance makes.

Refried beans (without the fry)
2 c pinto beans
2 tomatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
4-5 cloves garlic, diced
canola oil
rosemary, dried

Put 2 c pinto beans (dried! do not used canned!) into a pressure cooker with approximately 5 c water. Cook for 45 minutes, or until beans are very soft.

(You can also use a conventional pot + water for that step if you don't have a pressure cooker. If so, soak beans in water overnight. Pot cooking may take 2-3 hours.)

When they are finished, move beans into a pot. Add a handful of dried rosemary, salt, 2 diced tomatoes, 1 large diced onion, 4-5 chopped garlic cloves, 2-3 tbs canola oil, and enough water to cover beans.

Simmer for 3-4 hours, or however long it takes beans to turn "creamy" and light in color. This varies widely depending on your pressure cooker and the type/age of bean. Stir and continue adding 1-2 cups of water every 1/2 hour as needed, as water level gets low.

Roasted tomato salsa
6 ripe tomatoes
2 onions, peeled
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper (or any other spicy green pepper)
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
limes, 1-2
handful of cilantro, chopped
canola oil

Rub tomatoes, peppers, and onions lightly in oil. Put in pan on medium heat. Char vegetables just until black one one side, then turn so 2-3 sides are lightly charred.

Put vegetables and garlic in food processor and pulse a few times until chunky. (Note: you can continue to process salsa until smooth if desired)

Add salt to taste, juice from limes, and cilantro.

Burritos
Use homemade tortillas (salt + water, I don't have a recipe ) or store-bought, fill with beans and top with salsa. Add cheese, cabbage, extra cilantro if desired. Dollop fat free yogurt on top.

This is one of our favorite dishes. If you're low-carb you can nix the tortilla and put beans and salsa over a bed of cabbage. (Cabbage works better than lettuce- it doesn't get soggy quickly under the beans and salsa)

I can't calculate the cost of this meal- I live overseas and prices are different. Given that the main ingredients are beans, tomatoes, and onions however, it's quite a bit cheaper and MUCH tastier than buying canned beans and salsa. Yields 10-12 burritos.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote