Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/190/165

Height: 5'9.5''

Default Healthy, Cheap Quesadillas!

Yesterday I cooked up 1lb of black beans ($1 for a 1lb bag of beans, at my local grocery store!) and after making several black bean burger patties to freeze, I still had a lot left over. So I decided to make Quesadillas using the leftover beans! It was healthy and cheap. Here is the recipe:

-Black beans
-Cilantro (preferably fresh - in-season it's very cheap) and a few drops of lemon juice
-Cumin, paprika, salt, pepper + red pepper flakes to taste
(Optional: ground flax seed, because I toss some into everything)

Mix the above ingredients together. This is the black bean mixture for your quesadillas.

-Whole wheat tortillas
-Shredded cheese (like fat free mozerella)
-Chicken (optional for vegetarians)

Defrost some chicken (I used boneless skinless chicken breasts) and slice into small pieces. Grill/sautee (I use a george foreman grill). Take 1 whole wheat tortilla, fill half of it with black beans and cover with shredded cheese. Top with cooked chicken pieces. Put tortilla on countertop grill/frying pan, fold in half, and cook on both sides until cheese is melted.

Top with fat free unflavored yogurt (greek yogurt is the most sour-cream like) and salsa. Yum! This recipe even passed the approval of my picky, veggie-hating boyfriend, who declared that he wanted these every day. Success!
liasaun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #2  
banned

Yum! That sounds Sooooo good. I would add a couple handfuls of baby spinach leaves, because I put them on everything. I LOVE using Greek Yogurt on burritos. SO good.

Last edited by 3FCer344892; 05-29-2011 at 04:42 PM.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote