Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #1  

Default 100% White Whole Wheat Flour - *Crossing Fingers*

I recently bought some King Arthur's 100% White Whole Wheat Flour. I haven't used it yet but am hoping I can when phase 2 comes around for me. Any thoughts? Here is the description from the King Arthur website:

"100% White Whole Wheat Flour - Imagine all the nutrients of whole wheat flour without the strong flavor. This flour is milled from hard white winter wheat, a variety lacking the bitter compounds (phenolic acid) of red wheat. And though it includes 100% of the brand and germ of the wheat berry, it remains mild with a sweet taste and golden hue—providing great nutrition and great taste. Use it in place of traditional whole wheat for lighter color and sweeter flavor. Or, substitute 100% White Whole Wheat Flour for all-purpose flour in any cookie, quick bread, or brownie recipe—your family won't suspect a thing. "
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #2  

Hi Nilla, I googled for info on White Whole Wheat and it appears that it is the "same" as Whole Wheat.. except that instead of the Red variety of Wheat, it is from an lighter colored strain. This strain doesnt have the tannins and some other things that tend to make WW taste a bit bitter. (Just like what the package states!..) It is milled the same way as Whole Wheat-- e.g. the whole kernal is intact.. It has the same protein content as regular whole-wheat flour as well. The GI value between WW and White WW is just about the same...
So Enjoy on Phase 2 in small amounts!!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I used it in all my holiday baking this year. King Arther also makes a white whole wheat pastry flour that can be used like all-purpose flour. It's great stuff. But you do have to be careful if you have a tendency to overeat white flour type products. I had problems afterwards with cravings and wanting to eat it all in one day. So it's going to be a once in a while thing.

Sarah
Old 01-04-2006, 08:53 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

That King Arthur was pretty talented. Too bad he couldn't hang onto his wife!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #5  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx
That King Arthur was pretty talented. Too bad he couldn't hang onto his wife!
Closed Thread