Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 03:07 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default What is your single best South Beach advice?

What should we avoid, what can help us get through the cravings, what are good substitutions? Anything at all - what's your best tip or trick?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:29 PM   #2  

*SF Jello was very helpful to me when I did Phase 1 the first time.
*Only getting on the scale once a week! Getting on more than that made me discouraged and I ended up being very happy at the end of each week!
*Writing down what you eat. It's fun to go back and see how well you've been doing. It motivated me.
*Exercising. Definitely makes the lbs come off faster.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #3  

I think one of the most important things to remeber that if you slip, wether it be one bad food or one bad week that you can get back on this diet eaisly. There is no need to get depressed or feel you failed you can keep loosing any way. I know this from personal experience. I recently fell off the wagon and just ate what ever i wanted slightly sticking to a SB a bit i did gain about 10 pounds back in 2 weeks but after i was done feeling sorry for myself i went back on phase 1 and started over and with in that week i dropped that ten pounds. that experienced opened my eyes and made me see that i am going to have slip ups and such but it is not the end of the world. So I hope by sharing this with you it offers some encouragement. There is no need to make yourself miserable all the time. but I do not believe that it makes it all right to get off track either, just simply remember that eating onion rings once in a blue moon is not going to un do everything ( may stall you..lol) but you can recover.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #4  

That it is normal to stall for awhile!
Old 07-24-2004, 06:32 PM   #5  
RNMOM

Default for me

That first few weeks it was sugar free jello and FF cool whip
Old 07-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #6  

Exercise has been so important for me after I got my energy back.
The recipes in this forum have been so important to me as well as all the advice I've found here. I just can't narrow it down.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

This might seem weird but I carry around a little glass star with me and whenever I have a craving or I feel down, I just put my hand in my pocket and rub the stone (like a worry stone) and the thing helps me remember why I'm doing this, and also gives me something to focus on thats not edible! I got this idea from Weight Watchers when I used to go and some times, it helps to have something physicaly touch-able to jog you back on track. It can be a stone or a trinket..just anything. Sometimes, its neat to find stones from a new age shop that "promote" certain things, like strength and balance. But thats just for fun, I guess.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:19 PM   #8  

Drink water water water water. If you are craving something, drink water. If you are awake and breathing, drink water. Especially in Phase 1 when you are flushing all those sugars out of your system.

Phase 1 only lasts 2 weeks. You can do anything for 14 days.

Its not low carb, its good carb...*AFTER* Phase 1. Then its a lifestyle change, not a diet.

After the first 2 weeks, success takes time. It took years to gain the weight, have patience when losing it.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 194/190/145

Height: 5'3

Weigh yourself ONLY once a week. I like to weigh myself Friday morning. That way I don't see the immediate impact of my weekend over indulgances.

Exercise. After a week of consistant exercise, I had sooo much more energy.

Water...water... water and for the first couple of weeks never stray too far from a potty or get stuck in a bad traffic jam! (o:

It is NOT A DIET!!!! So don't panic!

tkt117
sw: 165
cw: 154
gw: 130's
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #10  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

For me it would be the support of my 3FC (SBD) chickies. They are here for me through it all not only in the eating thing but even everyday stuff. If you need a shoulder than you now you always have one. But I really like the star idea. I may just try that. See you can always find something new to help you stay on track or get you back on it.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #11  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hmm, another great questions. I guess my top 3 are:

drink lots and lots of water! Honestly, it helps you through the cravings (I like to think of it as peeing the cravings away!)

really eat veggies -- they are filling and really compliment a meal

be creative! It can get boring but remember the list of approved foods and go with it. Some disasters may occur, but you might come up with something good!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

1) drink your water

2) eat your vegetables

3) don't obsess about a pound here or a pound there

4) hide the scales, don't weigh yourself every single day.

5) grab a tape measure and measure your starting inches-chest, waist, hips, each thigh, calf and bicep. Even if you don't see the scale move, you will see the inches disappear.

6) exercise-get to moving, every little bit helps.

7) eat until satisfied does not mean eat until you are stuffed/full. It means eat until you are no longer hungry.

8) always measure your nuts, don't eat from the container/bag. It's too easy to eat the entire pound bag before you know it.

9) It took you years to get fat, give yourself time to loe the weight. It's not going to be fast. It probably won't be steady. Stalls happen, don't panic, get discouraged or quit.

10) make this a permenant life style change, not a diet to go off of.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

These are great tips!!!

Here are mine:
  • Be creative in your choices...you don't need to follow the meal plan, just use what you have learned from the books and lists of foods to enjoy and avoid, and have fun!
  • Eat your beans! Eat flaxseeds too, and don't be afraid to use a stool softener (or suppositories) in Phase 1 if you are "stopped up". This is common!
  • Take a good multivitamin, or even better, take seperate pills for each vitamin to get the full amount of each. This is especially helpful in Phase 1.
  • Eat your veggies! Even if you hate veggies, find ways to prepare them that make them more palatable, then pinch your nose closed and eat, eat, eat! Those veggies help keep you "regular", give you needed vitamins, and keep you really full. They are essential!
  • Feeling awful in Phase 1, especially in the first 3 to 5 days, is normal. You are detoxing from sugar and that is not easy! Be gentle with yourself and see a doctor if the symptoms are really bad or you are still sick after five days, just to be sure.
  • DO NOT CHEAT IN PHASE ONE!!! If you cheat, you rob yourself of as successful a Phase 2 as you could have had. Cheating, even a little, keeps you from fully detoxing. Just don't do it! In Phase 2, you can cheat and jump back on the wagon. But if you cheat in Phase 1, do the whole thing over or you will regret it later.

I guess that's not single, but it is my best advice.

Thanks for the great question, Jennifer!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #14  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I have only been at this for five days but my best advice is to stick with program because it does take the cravings away and I did survive the headaches. Sugar is not our friend.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #15  

My best tips are:
  • Drink plently of water to keep your body hydrated and energised
  • Take it easy: don't exercise for the first few days, you need all the energy you can get until your body adjusts to the detoxing process
  • Don't skip meals! Even if you are'nt hungry, eat. You're getting all your energy from the meat and vegetables, etc.
  • Don't constantly check your figure in the mirror. This is a BIG mistake. It can discourage you, and upset you. It will take at least a week (from my experience) for you to see a visible result, preferebly around your midrif.

That's all I can think of, atm! Sorry if they've already been said, but they are my top tips
Closed Thread