Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #1  

Default Hot Dog Salad

We made this for dinner tonight. Surprisingly, we both loved it. Now, a hot dog on a salad seems weird at best, but it had all the flavors of a hot dog with EVERYTHING and no bun.

I think it was a Rachael Ray recipe.

Serves 2

4 low fat hot dogs
1 T oil

2 T yellow mustard
1 T vinegar
1 packet Splenda
1 1/2 T oil (we used extra virgin olive oil but canola would be good too)
1 tomato seeded and diced
1/2 small red onion large diced
2 pickles diced (we used dill, but garlic or half sour would work)
4 oz. shredded cabbage
4 oz. romaine lettuce, shredded or cut into bite size chunks

In a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, Splenda, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings, and reserve. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.
TechieGrrl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

TnTechGirl, I have made this before. I think it's in my Rachel Ray Cookbook 365 No Repeats. I remember it was pretty good to satisfy a hot dog craving!
I love the Hebrew National Nonfat dogs - only 40 calories/dog. They'd be great for this. Thanks for the recipe.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote