Old 03-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #1  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

Default moldy cat box?

okay so either my poor kittie's poop molded or there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with her?!

I have never seen this before. I couldn't find anything on the interwebs. My kitty is pretty ocd about her box- she has a corner for pee and a corner for poo and the poo was all covered in mold.

Has anybody else had this happen before? I am concerned. I moved her box because it was by a heater vent and a window.... Anything else I should do?
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

The heater may play a part in it, how often is the litter box being changed?
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I googled a bit and found several sites that talk about litter box mold. None were good enough to link to, but in essence it boiled down to a few factors.

Warm, moist environments are very conducive to mold growth, so moving the box away from the warmest part of the room may help considerably.

Some litters tend to grow more mold than others (organic litters like those that are made of corn or paper may grow mold faster than clay litters).

Changing the litter/cleaning the box more frequently can also help.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-25-2009 at 07:00 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

it probably means you need to scoop your litter daily. The mold is probably from moisture in the enviroment..scoop daily and once a week dump everything out...scrub the box, let it air dry then replace with fresh litter. Also, you should replace your litter box every 6 months or so. But probably you just need to scoop more often..
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks!!!

I recently took over the chore and it will be done a lot differently then the husband did it. you know... done right. lol.

poor kitteh.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote