Old 10-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default allergies :(

For 15 years I had not one, but two cats. While I had cold symptoms i never tied them to the cats.

During the few months I didn't have cats this year I was fine.

But the three weeks I've had kitty the symptoms are back and with a vengeance! The watery eyes, the constant runny nose and sneezing, coughing, the rash, nasal dripping... and hard time breathing!

Is there something I can do that wont raise blood pressure (have to be careful of drugs that raise blood pressure)? Do I have to get rid of the kitten? (I really dont want to).
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

I have terrible allergies to animals too that I never used to have...and I LOVE animals.... Research Singlar and Allegra... The allegra helps like you don't even know when it comes to the cold type symptoms. The Singlar helps with the breathing like you wouldn't believe! Not sure on what they do with blood pressure....
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I would give anything to be allergy free without having to resort to taking meds. Would it be worth keeping the kitty? Honestly? What about getting one of those hypoallergenic kitties... REX cats. Like the one Dr. Evil has.

I hate to come off harsh as I do love animals, but when my allergies strike I feel so warn out and exhausted... it really does effect my quality of life. And if the item the caused me grief was removable... I would get it out of my home immediately.

It does suck that it is a pet... they are like children, but maybe you can give it to a close friend or family member; that way you know it will be well taken care of.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6.5

I would take meds anyday to have a furry friend in the house. Those hypoallergenic kittys are VERY expensive. Like thousands of dollars. I do have hypoallergenic dogs but still need the meds, unfortunatly. Oh well, it's worth it for me!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2''

If you go to a pet store like petsmart they sell shampoo for cats and dogs that decreases pet dander for owners with allergies! You should try one out! (But that would require giving the kitty a bath- :-o )
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #6  
Determined to lose!

I woke up yesterday with eyes swollen shut and couldn't breathe! hives! It was scarey. I found Kitty a new home with a single woman with another cat. Cat andKitty are getting along fine and kitty has already claimed her stake in the entire home! She's not under the stress of having a big bad wolf dog around! Though Jade only wanted to play with her. I have shampooed the carpet in my room and washed the drapes. I've shampooed the carpet throughout the house including behind furniture.

It was hard to let her go, and it's breaking my heart to not be able to have cats, but it's not worth not being able to breathe to the point you panic! As I mentioned, I had cats for 15 years, never had this bad of a problem. I do believe I had the cold symptoms, but never had it to where I couldn't breathe! .
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote