Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #1  
Chunky Mama of 4

S/C/G: 235/235/150

Default BFing and Weight Loss

After going through infertility treatments as a result of PCOS I gave birth to a beutiful baby girl on 2-2-06. I had an emergency C-section so healing has been a challenge emotionally and physically. I had lost a lot of weight after the birth (had only gained 2 pounds during the pregnancy) but have been eating like crazy as a result of trying to deal with the C-section.

I am BFing and I really need to get to a healthy weight...I am 5'7 and around 235 pounds. How do I do it without huring breastfeeding?????

Alicia
alicia9178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'm breastfeeding and I just eat healthy and try to get in some exercise as much as possible. I was on a 1300 cal a day diet before pregnacy. I just added 400 cals to that during breastfeeding. It's been working fine to help lose the pounds left after pregnancy. I just try to get a mix of whole grains, veggies, fruits, lean meats and dairy throughout the day, snacking on fruit, PB, lowfat cottage cheese or string cheese, and such in between meals. I generally eat about 5 to 6 times a day.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #3  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I am nursing my son, who is 13 months old. I was told to eat no less than 1,800 calories a day, but I can have up to 2,000...and it's working!
Oh, I also have PCOS.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #4  
resident lactivist

For me, breastfeeding seems to have been the best thing to help regulate my PCOS. I had so much trouble getting pregnant the first time, but the second time it only took a month, and the third time was a total surprise. Not that it's what you asked.

Generally speaking, I cut my calories but not too far. I try to stick to around 1800/day, and also try to exercise every weekday (who wants to exercise on the weekends? ). I started out just walking, a mile or two miles every day, and worked my way up. When it all comes down to it, I worry more about getting in my exercise than in my eating being perfect. I'd rather crochet than do just about anything, but I can put it down long enough to walk, though not so much so long enough to agonize over every bite going into my mouth.

I highly recommend Weight Watchers. Their @Home program is a hefty little chunk of change to shell out to begin with, but personally knowing I paid $140~ (deluxe kit plus express shipping) helps shame me into sticking with it. Of course, the same program isn't for everyone; the important part is to find something you'll stick with.

Now for my routine caveat: Breastfeeding does not guarantee the weight will melt off, or that it will come off at all. We're all aware that expending more calories than we consume is what leads to weight loss, but biology throws a bump in the road for us nursing mamas. Sometimes--not always by any means, but sometimes--lactating women find that they lose weight only at a crawl if at all, and hanging on to the "last ten pounds" until Baby weans is not at all uncommon. Biology beats out mathematics any time.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #5  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

I agree - I have a friend who could not lose any more baby weight past the first 2 weeks until she stopped BFing. Her body just would not let go of it. I don't know if it's because she was thin before pregnancy, and so those extra 15 or so pounds were her only real 'extra' weight, or what. I know that I have given Truman more breast milk than I was able to give Lucy, and the weight has been coming off faster. I have my postpartum checkup Friday and I hope I'm back at - or very very near - prepregnancy weight by then.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/168/140

Hey All!
I'm new around here. I've actually found nursing to be the best thing for my weight loss. I was heavy before, but I've lost 19 pounds since starting weight watchers in mid january. If you want to see a pic of my cutie patootie, my weight loss blog is in my profile.
Sblomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #7  
Working at it

S/C/G: 180/tracker/115

Height: 5'3"

I havenīt had trouble, because of my C-Section. Thank God, itīs been very easy for me to deal with.

Sometimes I think that the only reason I continue to lose weight is because Iīm nursing my little girl. I lost about 20 lbs in the first week after my little girl was born, though, because I had no appetite and no desire to move, not to mention the horrible hospital food. I was 182 two days before being admitted to the hospital and 160 when I went home a week later.

I donīt really count calories, but I try to eat healthy and make sure that my biggest meal of the day is before 4 p.m. I didnīt eat anything after 7 p.m. before I got pregnant, but that doesnīt really work out well for nursing mamas, so I changed it so that I donīt eat anything but fruit or veggies after 7 p.m. and it seems to work--as long as I stick to those rules, I continue to lose weight and I still have plenty of milk for my little girl.

--Katherine
ktgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #8  
resident lactivist

That's a good way to get in some extra veggies, too!
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote