Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 12-06-2005, 12:36 AM   #1  
Tired Mommy of Two Girls

Question Online Diet Program that allows nursing mothers?

Hi Guys,

I would like to try an online diet program. I usually do weight watchers when I need to lose a bit of weight but I just don't have time to get to a meeting with two little ones. Their online program doesn't allow for nursing moms, I was thinking about joining that anyway and then adding the 10 extra points like I did at the meetings after my last pregnancy. But I would prefer to find a program that allows you to do it online and will work with nursing. Does anyone know of one?

Thanks
Heather
hmksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

There is not one, to my knowledge. I was on eDiets a while last year, but I had to lie about nursing and my activity level so it would work for me. I think it's a liability issue; no one wants to face a lawsuit should someone's milk dry up or someone's baby not get adequate nutrition somehow while Mama was on the program.

Weight Watchers is the one that really confuses me. Since they do offer a nursing moms program, you'd think they'd offer it as part of their online version. Not that I've gone to the meetings, ever (nor had any desire to do so, to be honest), but I somehow doubt the leaders are lactation consultants, or otherwise have the first clue about breastfeeding nutrition. So I really don't see why they don't offer their nursing moms program online.

I'd go with your plan of just adding in the extra points for their online version. I bought an at home kit off eBay after Linda Margaret's birth, & the lady who sold it to me gave me the nursing mama info...So I can say from experience it probably won't affect your milk supply, even if you don't manage to get in your extra points (I hardly ever did).
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #3  
Tired Mommy of Two Girls

Hi Sabra,

Thanks for your response. Before I had Clara I was hoping to do WebMD but it didn't allow for nursing. I did WW after my first daughter and it worked great but you are 100% correct that everytime I had a question they didn't know the answer and most of the time they would just agree with what I had decided, such as adding more points when I felt I needed to. Right now I just feel like I am eating too much and I am trying to keep track but I don't feel like I am doing a very good job. I think my nibbling needs to get under control! I have been trying to drink water when I feel like that but today I ate a tortilla instead. I know I'd make more progress if I didn't do that and unfortunately I need to have some accountability outside of this house! Sad but true.

Do you know how many calories nursing is suppose to add to your diet? I was thinking I could do WebMD if I knew that but I don't remember anymore. I know that pregnancy is 300. Anyone know a rule of thumb for that?

Thanks again.
Heather
hmksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #4  
resident lactivist

Breastfeeding is an extra 500 calories a day. You can get by without adding it if you diet on your own, but a lot of diet programs cut you way down on calories. I know the 24 points I'd get on Weight Watchers without breastfeeding works out to roughly 1250 calories.

What I did right after having Linda was spend a couple of months just counting calories using FitDay, and keeping it to between 1600 - 1800 calories a day, and that worked pretty well. Just generally speaking, I wouldn't want to go under 1600 calories a day anyway, because if you cut too low you run the risk of getting over-hungry and binging. I know this from experience.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote