Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #1  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Default Exercise During Pregnancy

I guess I've started a thread on this before because when I typed in "Exercise" it popped in already! Oh well. I think this may be different?

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and for the last week or two, sciatica and hip/side pain have been really setting in. I haven't been to the gym in.... oh my I can't even remember! I got sick there once and it frightened me. I had only done about 15 minutes on the stationary bike then a few reps of free weights (biceps) and started to feel dizzy, shakey, and in the mirror I saw that my face was beet red, almost purple. I was drinking plenty of water before & during exercise and had just eaten dinner about an hour before this, so it didn't make any sense. I was really frightened for the baby, and for me, and so since I haven't been back.

I walk to the library (10 min there, 10 min back) with my little girl once or twice a week, but otherwise my exercise is basically house cleaning and laundry!

I want to get back into it somewhat but am still afraid to go to the gym. Is that silly? I don't have any friends who belong to the same place who could come with me. I think I'd feel safer if I had someone there who knew me, if something happened.

So, I'm thinking of just trying to do an exercise DVD here at home a few times a week? Not necessarily a pregnancy one, unless you all have any suggestions of good ones? My mom got me a "Mom & Baby Yoga" and it's WEIRD!!!! I also used to have Denise Austin pregnancy VHS - all 80's style - but gave it to a friend when she got pregnant 2 years ago. I have some exercise tapes that are not jarring or high-impact so I think they should be fine. I'd love to hear any suggestions or ideas any of you may have!
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #2  
future lightweight rower

S/C/G: 146/146/135

Height: 5'9"

I'm not a good example by any means, because I've hardly exercised at all during this pregnacy. BUT I did go to some aquafit classes - they felt so good! The water made me feel lighter and I was able to work out without overheating.

I bought a prenatal yoga tape too - but used it once - yoga is just not my thing at all! Walking makes my back and hips hurt.

I hope you find something that feels great for you!
toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #3  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

Today is my 'new week' day and so I weighed... gained 1.5 lbs last week! That's a bit too much for me, because the week before I also gained 1.5 lbs. I know that's not all baby. I'm trying to stay calm about it. I'm going to do an old Denise Austin Sizzler tape this morning; it's hokey but low-impact and pretty easy to follow. Now if only my toddler will stay out of my way! She tries to do it along with me and ends up getting hit with a dumbbell!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #4  
Running Babe

I ran a half-marathon at 4 weeks.... then again I didn't know I was pregnant yet...

However last week on vacation though I walked a lot I didn't do too much exercise (just 3 cardio days) today I am still sick But I shall get back to it, but no where near my old intensity or distance.... I plan on doing prenatal yoga in January.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #5  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

That's cool that you did a half-marathon! I'm very impressed! You know I've never IN MY LIFE even run one mile without walking for at least part of it. We used to have to run it every week in elementary & high school, and I never did it all running, I always walked part of it (and never got good enough time to get better than a C on it, either!).

Well now we're having tornado warnings left & right (Indiana) so I'm afraid to turn off the TV to turn on my video. I'm promising myself I'll do it this evening though!

And I'm writing down what I'm eating, because I think it's gotten a bit out of control in the last few weeks.