Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-18-2005, 11:46 PM   #1  
Big Beautiful Mommy of 1

S/C/G: 256/256/170

Height: 5'8

Default Some getting PG questions/concerns

Well first off Im 19, 5'8 and 245 lbs. Well my SO and i want to have a baby. I am on Seasonale BC right now but my pack will be done in mid october. That is when we would like to start trying to get PG. I always wanted to be one of those cute women w/ the cute basketball like belly when they are pregnant. I have never really noticed any women around my size/build that were pregnant, or my biggest "fear" is i just never noticed cuz i couldnt tell I want people to know im pregnant! I want to be proud. But Im afraid at my weight no one will beable to tell until my last month or so Has anyone around my size been pregnant and do you have pics? even ones you could send just me.

Also I read its not safe or good for a women to lose a lot of weight right before getting pregnant. Im sure I could drop down to 215-220 or so by the time i want to conceive, but I want to be safe/healthy when I get pregnant. If im just going to gain the weight back whats the point of losing it Is there any thing healthy I can do to lose some weight and still be healthy when I do finally concieve? Or can I work really hard before getting pregnant and lose as much weight as possible and still be healthy??

Thanks
tahiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:54 AM   #2  
resident lactivist

Get in place a healthy diet and exercise system--something like Weight Watchers, SugarBusters, or South Beach--and let nature take care of itself when it comes to losing weight before you get pregnant. I'm sure there are other diets that are OK, but I know that those three are very well-balanced, and you can continue the same eating principles during your pregnancy (I'm especially fond of SugarBusters & South Beach, which emphasize whole grain products much more than Weight Watchers seems to). Nutrition prior to pregnancy plays a large part in having a good pregnancy, so if you look at it as a way to get into the habit of eating well, and focus less on losing weight, you'll relieve yourself of a lot of stress, & probably lose weight at the same time.

Being overweight while you're pregnant does seem to put you at a higher risk than some things, but the research is far from conclusive. There are plenty of overweight women who have perfectly healthy pregnancies, but you have to be picky with your care provider. Before you go about trying to get pregnant is probably also a good time to start your research into pregnancy, which it sounds like you're doing. And check out alternate sources as well as mainstream ones. (Which is to say, pick up Mothering as well as Parents. )

As far as the showing issue...There is a thread with some belly shots right here and another here. When/whether/how well you show depends on a lot of factors, not just weight. I am so large right now it is hugely obvious to me that I'm pregnant, even in clothes, but to date not one person has noticed without being told, and I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant. No one ever seems to notice with me, even though it's always obvious to my husband & I. It seems that people see what they expect to see, and when they look at me they expect to see a fat woman, not a pregnant woman. (Though I'm not certain what else would cause a woman to gain 20 pounds all in her stomach.)

If it is any consolation, for every woman bemoaning her lack of a cute pregnant belly there is another one complaining because she's already so huge total strangers think she's overdue. And there is some subversive pleasure in springing a newborn on acquaintainces who never noticed you were expecting.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:13 AM   #3  
Big Beautiful Mommy of 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
Get in place a healthy diet and exercise system--something like Weight Watchers, SugarBusters, or South Beach--and let nature take care of itself when it comes to losing weight before you get pregnant.

And there is some subversive pleasure in springing a newborn on acquaintainces who never noticed you were expecting.
I actually think Im just going to cut all bad food out, eat completely healthy (I know how, I just dont do it ) and start exercising regularly, or atleast getting up off the couch every once and a while

I actually think that me not showing would be a good thing! We dont wanna tell HIS mom, we were thinking of waiting until the kid was like... outta highschool I guess i really shouldnt worry about being asked if Im pregnant by strangers... I get that already and im not even pregnant yet

Thanks for the advice. And any more is certainly welcome
Old 08-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #4  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Sabra gave you some good advice! Just be healthy. Now is not the time to go on any crazy crash diets! I am 5'10" and started my first PG at 245 lbs. It took awhile to show, but I did get a nice round belly eventually!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Losing weight before getting pregnant isn't a bad thing. Losing weight too quickly all on it's own however can be bad and cause complications...pregnancy or no pregnancy. If you start eating right and exercising regularly NOW, you will develop a good habit that can last throughout your pregnancy, which will be good for both you and the baby.

I have recently begun posting at http://www.babyfit.com/myspark/b_messageboard.asp It is very helpful with pregnancy issues. A recent thread also linked to a site that provides a lot of helpful info on pregnancy while overweight: http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/first
index.html
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #6  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Getting your body healthy now - whether you lose any pounds or not - is really important, probably MORE important than what you weigh at the time you conceive. Taking folic acid, building up muscle tone (which you're gonna need!!!), and just being generally physically fit will really help you to have an easier pregnancy.

Being overweight does make some women have trouble conceiving - you don't ovulate regularly - so that is something to consider if you are having problems getting pg.

I agree with Sabra about South Beach - I love the food! I am just starting to get back into eating some of the SB type foods now that nausea is abating a little bit - for awhile there all I could stomach were simple carbs like cereal and white pasta. Not good! But, I lost about 10 lbs in this first trimester.

Get a good doctor who is supportive of pregnancy regardless of your size. One doctor I spoke with said because of my weight I need to gain only 15 lbs. To me, that's just crazy. My current OB made no comment about my weight, just said 25-35 lbs would be ideal. To me, that is much healthier.

Best of luck to you!

Oh yeah - I'm 11 weeks and look like I'm about 5 months pregnant already. I had a belly before but I think my big uterus is just pushing everything up & out so I look bigger (farther along) than I really am. I will post some pictures when I get them uploaded.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I was on WW before pg and my dr was OK with it. (Actually combo of WW and SB - I like the foods on SB, but need an easy way to monitor/count intake. I don't do well on programs that let you eat as much as you want of certain foods, cause then I overeat good foods and still get too many calories. You have to find what works for you!) I was walking regularly and strength training while TTC. I haven't been exercising lately due to back and pelvis pain, but that's starting to subside so I hope to get back on my treadmill soon. I have irregular cycles (possibly due to overweight, don't know) but by charting my cycles, I was able to figure out what my body was doing. I got pg fairly quick and only had enough time to lose 10 lbs

As for looking pg, well in regular clothes I just look like I'm getting fatter. I did purchase some maternity tops and I look preggo in them. Strangers don't say anything, but then I never say anything to strangers that look pg, even when it's obvious. Major if they're not!! I like GBMM's idea of surprising people by suddenly having a baby

Finding the right dr is key. And I recommend a pre-conception visit. You'll get a sense of how supportive the dr will be and he/she will go over pre-natal vitamins and other useful info.
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:35 PM   #8  
Big Beautiful Mommy of 1

Thanks for all the advise. I really hope everything goes smoothly. Im still nervous. I supposed wearing maternity clothes vs. just baggy/reg. clothes would make a big difference, even on small frames.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #9  
resident lactivist

I couldn't find maternity clothes that would fit me during my first pregnancy. I started it at like a size 26. Maybe my problem is that I can't wear maternity tops. I don't know what it is about maternity shirts, but they do NOT have enough room in the chest area for me!

My other bit of advice is to consider outside of the mainstream when it comes to your prenatal care & birth provider. I am way outside the mainstream with my pregnancy right now, I had to be to avoid another c-section (sadly, decisions on VBACs are based less on research & more on liability issues). If you consider a midwife for your prenatal care and a homebirth instead of your hospital birth, you're likely to wind up with far fewer interventions than going the "normal" way in the US. Our c-section rate in this country is three times the goal set by the WHO, and sadly that's not because we have sicklier women than the rest of the world. It's something you have to decide for yourself, of course. Some women just feel safer with a doctor in a hospital, and the important part is truly to be your own advocate.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote