Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 06-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #1  

Default green tea

OK, I know they say to limit how much green tea you drink during pregnancy, but what about when you're nursing? I love the stuff, not to mention the fact that it gives your metabolism a nice little boost. (My dr. is not the most BF friendly dr in the world, so I hesitate to ask him.) Just wondering, because I would like to drink more than 1 cup just here and there. Anyone heard anything?
Taryn'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #2  

I think its fine as long as it isn't in excess. I drank a cup just about every night while pregnant. I only quit because it made me have to pee even more than I was! My doctor ok'd it while pregnant. I'm guessing very little of it would pass through breast milk.

I'm no expert, just my opinion! :P
She-Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:29 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Mullett
I only quit because it made me have to pee even more than I was!
Egads! I can't imagine such torture. I'm already begging for a catheter. They're just aren't enough bathrooms from one stop to the next for my needs.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 AM   #4  
resident lactivist

If you're concerned about caffeine intake, then you'll want to moderate how much green tea you drink. The metabolism boost comes from the high caffeine content. If you don't sweat that, though, (and I honestly never have) go ahead.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

In the beginning, I really limited my caffine intake. Now that I am more toward the end, I have it more regularly. I know some say you shouldnt but I need every drop of energy I can get at this point! I have heard that you should not drink herbal tea period, and I don't know why. So I guess really, I am no help!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #6  

glad to see I'm not the only caffeine-a-holic. During the first trimester I rarely had it, but now I'm needing more than my 24 oz a day of Dr. Pepper, Coke, or tea. But sorry I know nothing about green tea
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

I have actually fallen in love with the new Lipton diet citrus green tea. Then cut it out. I drink very little caffein. I've never drank coffee, but I did drink diet soda and tea like a freight train. When I started watching what I ate, I switched from soda to water and had few sodas, but still drank lots of tea. Then as I became acclimated to water, I changed to caffein free diet coke for the most part. If it's not available in the 8 oz cans, I would just get something else with the caffein. Same with tea, if caffein free was available, I'd get that, but not always. Now with the baby, I'm trying to cut caffein altogether. Since I'd already cut it so much, it's not really having an effect on me. But it did mean no more of the Lipton.

I don't know what effect, if any, it has with nursing. But I do know that it's not something I need and cut it gradually and will be healthier, if even just a little, because of it.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:39 AM   #8  
resident lactivist

Honestly, I don't notice a difference in myself when I drink caffeine or when I don't. So it's not something I've ever worried about. I just avoid chamomile tea. I love it, could drink it all day...but it puts me to sleep.

I hadn't heard about avoiding herbal teas while pregnant. But it seems each week the list of what you should avoid changes, doesn't it? I went through a period where I drank nothing but herbal teas, trying to find something that helped with morning sickness (there is supposed to be an herbal remedy for morning sickness out there, but I never could find one that didn't include chamomile). I've run across a lot of women online who drink red raspberry leaf tea in the third trimester, because it's supposed to help prep your uterus for birth...
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #9  

Hmmmm.....here's an interesting note-supposedly, green tea is sometimes used to aid in getting preggo in the first place. I "discovered" green tea and all its benefits last year and started drinking it in place of regular iced tea. A month and a half later I was pg. (Only know this bc I was trying to *get healthy* last yr to get ready for summer LOL) Could there be something to this, I wonder?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:33 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn'sMommy
Hmmmm.....here's an interesting note-supposedly, green tea is sometimes used to aid in getting preggo in the first place. I "discovered" green tea and all its benefits last year and started drinking it in place of regular iced tea. A month and a half later I was pg. (Only know this bc I was trying to *get healthy* last yr to get ready for summer LOL) Could there be something to this, I wonder?
ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

At 40, and hubby's 50, we were trying to figure out how the heck I suddenly needed to get pregnant NOW! I had added green tea to my diet around fall of last year. I got pregnant at Christmas.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #11  

LMAO! The cure-all.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #12  

BTW-I meant to add that I couldn't find any reason other than the caffeine to avoid it during nursing, so I'm going to assume it's alright. I guess the old saying applies-everything in moderation.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:38 PM   #13  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

Ok... so let me get this straight.... if I start drinking green tea I can have my caffeine without drinking the sugar-laden soda I love.... AND it might possibly help with conception? Sign me up! LOL. I think I'll be headed to the store to get some green tea tommorow. I've never tried it, but, now I have to!
AmyMCGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

I couldn't even be content with adding in normal green tea. NOooooooooo...I had to go out and get the supplement capsule extract with 700 mg of green tea. Stuff must've had my hormones just a raging.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:23 AM   #15  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Green Tea is good for increasing cervical mucous for those people that don't have enough. Spermies need good EWCM (egg white consistancy cervical mucous) to live so that they can make it to the egg
fl_mom is offline   Reply With Quote