Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #1  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Reflux & Zantac

Anyone have experience with Reflux? I was suspicious that Robby has it, so I told the NP at his 2 month appt. his symptoms and she agreed it sounded like Reflux. She prescribed Zantac, I think it's 10mg, 1ml twice a day. He's been on it 2 wks. today and he seemed to be doing better the first week, but he's still projectile spitting up. It helped his gas though, he doesn't thrash as much during feedings and doesn't seem to be in as much pain.

Today I talked to her to tell her about him still spitting up that way, and she said before they up the dose, try adding 1T. of rice cereal to each of his bottles at daycare. (He's drinking about 4 oz. at a time, and going through 3 1/2-4 bottles a day there). She said to call her next week with an update.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

Have you tried an elimination diet on your part? There's a pretty good likelihood that he's got a sensitivity to something you're eating. I know I had to avoid wheat when Linda was younger, because she'd yark all over the place if I didn't. Dairy is another big problem for some babies, and of course the common adult allergens like nuts and chocolate.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #3  
LBH

THere's no family history of food allergies, but I have tried to cut out the dairy...not doing a very good job though. I tried that with Peter, because of basically the same problem, nad it did nothing.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #4  
resident lactivist

We don't have a family history of food allergies either. And Linda got over her wheat sensitivity. Too bad it's not something obvious, eh? I just don't like the way medical professionals tend to throw cereal at the problem. Are you a member of LLL or something of the sort where you could ask for advice?
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #5  
LBH

I could probably call LLL, but honestly, I know if it's not just reflux due to an immature system, then it's probably a dairy sensitivity. I really need to be more strict with myself. I'm not thrilled about the cereal, but I know tons of people have had to do it.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #6  
Learning to love ME!

My ds suffered from reflux until he was about 4 months old. I did my best to eliminate dairy (NOT easy at all, and I was not 100% successful) and that did help some. Are you exclusively breastfeeding? I was mostly bf-ing, but did supplement with formula after I returned to work (couldn't pump enough, so he got about 1 bottle a day). We gave him Hypoallergenic formula, then at about 4 months, started giving him Lacto-Free formula (cheaper and didn't give him problems). I would try the rice cereal addition as a last resort. Your little one is so young--if you can treat him without it, I think it would be better for him in the long run. Here's an article I found helpful during our ordeal:
http://askdrsears.com/html/10/t106000.asp

((Hugs)). I know it's hard to see your baby hurting.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:35 PM   #7  
LBH

Thanks Darlene. Here's an update. The ladies at daycare (when I pick him up) said that he's doing great...this was Wednesday. In the meantime, I had to p/u more Zantac, because my 2y/o knocked the bottle over and I lost most of it. I would have to pay $40 something for it, because it was too soon to p/u a refill. I called the NP and gave her the update and told her what happened. She upped the Rx to 1.2 mL twice a day (from 1mL twice a day), which hopefully will help him more, and also that way I didn't have to pay full price, since it was a change.

So I picked it up and started it Wed. night. Yesterday his primary caretaker calls and tells me that she thinks he's doing worse, that he was better last week! I told her honestly, I don't notice any difference either way, he's still spitting up all over me at home! So I called the NP back and she agreed with me that we should stop the cereal in the bottles and just stick with the higher dosage of the Zantac and see how he does this week.

I figure we'll get it all straightened out by the time he grows out of it!

As far as elimination goes, things are getting easier, because I'm not sitting home eating chocolate and other crap all day.