Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #1  

Default Cant lose any weight

DD is 6 months now. still breastfeeding, still getting up several times a night to feed. she is growing just fine and all is well except for the constant nursing.

I have been working out like crazy for months and watching every morsel that goes in my face. I write down exactly what I eat and when I eat it and generally keep to around 1500 calories a day. I eat healthy, plenty of fiber, protein, fruits and vegetables and low in fat. I workout for an hour and a half daily. an hour on the treadmill as fast as I can go. a half hour very difficult abs workout video.

my prebaby weight was over what it should be because of taking fertility drugs to get pregnant with DD. I weighed 180 or 190, dropped 20 pounds then gained back up to 230 at end of pregnancy. I worked out every single day and again watched every single morsel that went into my face, I didn't over eat. I got on the treadmill daily. still I got hugely fat.

I had a very unexpected emergency c section that was pure ****. the first 6 weeks after were nothing but ****. I now weigh 175-180 and just cant frekin drop any more weight. I am only 5'4'' to even be in a relatively healthy BMI I need to be around 140.

I seriously have to lose this weight, what else can I do? 2-3 hours of exercise? eat even less? I am one starving cranky *itch as it is. I am also so sick of family and friends saying "oh your breastfeeding, the weight should just melt off" no its not. Im killing myself exercising, Im starving, Im tired and above all Im still really really fat.

Last edited by babyblue1983; 03-10-2011 at 09:57 PM.
babyblue1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #2  

Maybe you aren't eating enough!! I know that sounds weird but breastfeeding takes a lot of calories plus you are doing a load of exercise on very little sleep. Your body needs energy from some where to make milk, to keep you going. If you aren't eating enough then maybe your body is hanging on to the fat stores to keep going. Try to add some extra fruits. As long as it is healthy a few more calories could be what it takes.
Also your baby is only 6 months old. You had major surgery to give birth it all takes time to heal and sort out. I have friends who got back to prepregnacy weight in a few months, others (myself included) took months, for me years( and I'm still not there!!!).

Take care
Jackie
Jackie Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

To me your body is in major recovery. I would UP my calories to 1800 with lots of all that good food. I would probably add healthy fats like nuts, and avacado or something like that. You can cycle back down if it doesn't work or you gain, but it sounds to me like you are still recovering. your body is going through alot!

your unexpected c-section? was it due to size? If cycling your calories up and down doesn't move the scale watch your carbs.

I hope you get it moving again, sounds like you are committed. How are your inches looking?
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #4  

Sounds like you need to eat not cut back
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Are you measuring and making absolutely certain your calorie counting is festidious? If so, I would go see my doctor. I think eating too low of calories can somewhat stall weightloss but if it's going on for months, that can't be all it is.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #6  

I'm very accurate on how many calories I am eating. and some days thats the high end of the number I eat. If I even drink a glass of milk I write it down. I don't pig out on carbs, any that I do eat are only whole grain at that. I get so frustrated at family members that are insisting I must be eating being their backs and not telling anyone. I seriously watch every single tiny morsel that goes in my face. I count out every single calorie.

the c section was very unexpected because this was my second baby after one very easy vaginal birth. I was eating perfect and exercising constantly, no health issues what so ever, perfect labs, perfect blood pressure, perfect everything. dd was going on two weeks late so ob insisted on inducing. got to the hospital and was already 5 cm dilated. however once labor started every time I had a contraction dd's heart rate would drop way low and we watched it for a while then after a very big contraction it dropped to nearly nothing and just didn't come back up. dd was not a huge baby, only 6pd7oz but she was all wrapped up in her cord and the nurse mentioned to me that the cord could have been getting pinched/pulled with each contraction and being two weeks over due dd just couldn't handle the stress.

right now size wise I am 44-38-44
babyblue1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Go see your doctor. Pregnancy can mess up your thyroid.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #8  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

have you tried eating low carb?
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I don't think you'll see much difference until she starts sleeping better, honestly. Sleep, good nutrition, and exercise are all important - and in that order. Without proper sleep (and adult sleep cycles are constantly broken with a baby waking), you cannot recover. Your body is not going to function well.

Mine is 9 months and when he sleeps badly (2-3x a night waking is a GOOD night for us), my weight loss absolutely stalls. Don't run yourself ragged. Focus on your nutrition and get your sleep.

Bad sleep + too much exercise is NOT better for you than okay sleep + rest.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

As a rule (and it's not hard and fast, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb) breastfeeding women, particularly ones with babies still nursing at night, shouldn't drop below 1700 calories. I agree with the posters that said to raise your calories a couple hundred (try 1700-1800) for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If you're so hungry that you're grouchy all the time then you're not eating enough. I know it seems counter intuitive to eat more, but your body is working dang hard right now... cut it a little slack and feed it!

I also agree with sacha that sleep is a huge component in successful weight loss. I have a 6 month old and we just let him cry it out about a week ago. I know it's not for everyone and please disregard if that's how you feel, but getting 7 solid hours of sleep a night has made a world of difference in my life.

Good luck!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm having the same difficulty. I've done some research and I'm just not going to worry about it until DS is done breastfeeding. So, I'm going to be heavier for awhile. Oh, well. I'll get down to what I should be soon enough. They are only small for such a short time. I choose to enjoy our breastfeeding relationship as it'll only be for a couple years, at most.

It is true that some women drop the weight easily while breastfeeding. It's also true that some women don't. For some women, their bodies hold on to everything while breastfeeding.

I suspect that I'm one of those women. For me, exercise doesn't effect my weight (helps my mood though.) How much I eat or don't eat doesn't seem to matter either. I'm stuck right at 180. I do eat pretty healthy too.

Don't beat yourself up and (politely) tell your family to back off.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-27-2011 at 11:54 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote