Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Depo shot while breastfeeding

One thing in life I fail miserably at is birth control. Even the pill. Since getting married 5 years ago I've had three children and consecutively get pregnant at about 9-10 months after giving birth the previous one.

I'm on my 5th year of grad school (I got married the same year I started grad school because I'm smart and plan ahead like that /facepalm) and I'd REALLY like to finish up this danged PhD so we might be able to afford food for everyone some day!

So after re-assuring my doctor that I've mostly taken the pill daily and on time the last 8 months or so (and doing a pregnancy test to make sure) I got the depo shot yesterday.

I'm still breastfeeding, and I guess its okay? And I'm pumped about not having to worry about the pill daily (woot! woot!) But I also read it increases weight gain (but don't all hormonal birth control methods?)

Anyways, only two of my friends were on the depo shot (one was in the military and has a perfect body so I don't care what she says) and the other one was very overweight already and didn't have any kids.

SO any experiences or comments on this birth control method?
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #2  
HelenMay

S/C/G: 159/145/130

Height: 5'1"

I took depo (is it still called depo-provera?) almost 35 years ago.

I don`t do hormones well. I took it one time. I gained weight. My breasts were hard as rocks. I didn`t get a period for 3 months and then when I did, I thought I was hemoraghing.

I thought I would like not getting a period but it just didn`t feel natural and I felt like I was missing something.

I`m quite sure it`s been much improved though so you probably don`t want to hear from an old lady like me....getting pregnant is no longer an issue for me

I`m also interested to hear what others have to say. I haven`t thought about that shot in a long long time.

Good luck with it!
HelenMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I was on the depo shot for four years and loved it! It didn't cause me to gain weight although I've heard that many other people have that problem. I didn't get my period while I was on it, but that was one of the beneficial side effects for me. My period started up again when I stopped the shot and was totally regular.

I now have an IUD which is a great option for many people. I've had mine for 5 years and am about to get it switched out for a new one. If you have problems with the depo, an IUD might be something that you could look into since it has a lower hormone dose - or no hormones if you get the copper one.
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #4  

I have not taken the Depo shot but just had my six week discharge from my MW and she said it was one of the BC methods that was safe while breastfeeding. The only thing she said is that they say you should have bone density scans done if you are on the shot. (but also said since I am young and wouldn't likely do it long term I should be ok) I won't be choosing that shot because I have heard of alot of people who didn;t like the effects.
aj0805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #5  
HelenMay

S/C/G: 159/145/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
The strangest and only other side effect I had from the shot was that I started lactating. Seriously.
Me too. I totally forgot about that one!
HelenMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #6  

I haven't been non-lactating for 4.5 years so I doubt I'll notice that side-effect LOL

I'm concerned about the weight gain though. >.<
Old 08-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #7  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Any form of hormonal bc has the potential for weight gain. I've heard that the Depo shot is among the worst, but they can all cause weight gain if you're not counting what you're eating.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I hated it, but I am PCOS and apparently that makes it worse. It completely killed my sex drive (which most hormonal BC does, but it was the worst), I gained crazy weight, and just felt like crap.

Your experience may vary, but I would never go back on it.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #9  

I can hope? I WISH something would kill my sex drive right now.....husband hides from me when I get home from work.....I really don't want more kids right now, but my biological make-up has different plans I think. Which is why I'm desperately trying to find some kind of bc I can't fowl up this time!!!!