Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #16  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
but then there are days that I am wanting to eat everything in site.. even if it means eating my 5 month old, because I can't get enough food...lol.
FDLOL, I know exactly what you mean! That's one reason I think I'm doing well on Weight Watchers. They have weekly points that aren't set on any one day but can be used at any point during the week. It gives me that allowance to be able to have a "bad" day sometimes and still be on plan.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'3

I'm so glad I found this group! Just wanted to introduce myself.
I'm a 28-year old first time mom of a beautiful little girl born Aug 14th. I ended up having to have a c-section, and have just been approved by my doctor for low-impact exercise only... she said to wait another four weeks before starting to run again.
I gained 60 lbs during my pregnancy - eek. I had also been working on losing some weight when I first found I was pregnant, and was 15 lbs away from my goal of 140... right now, at around 190 (not sure my scale is accurate), I'm the heaviest I've been in about 6 years. 7 years ago, I topped off at 198. I got down to 148 on Jenny Craig, without exercise. 4 years ago, I regained to 180 and dropped back down to 150 in only a few months by watching my food intake and exercising hard... realized then how much I loved exercise, particularly running! I was training for a half-marathon when I found out I was pregnant, so I'm very excited to get back on that so I can register for the local races starting in April-May!
As anyone, I have a few obstacles... I am a single mom. My boyfriend left me as soon as I found out I was pregnant (part of the reason I gained so much weight was the depression that followed that). Because of that, I've moved right across the country to live with my brother... I am Canadian, and we have an AMAZING system here that allows moms to take a full year of paid maternity. Unfortunately, with only the one income, I couldn't afford to take the full year, until my brother offered to take us in so that I could. This also brings me closer to my parents and younger sister, although they're still a 10-hour drive away. Moving to French Canada has it's challenges - although I speak a bit of French, I really have no connections to allow me to meet new people, so that's going to be a challenge. I don't want to be isolated here, especially once winter comes and I'm somewhat house-bound. I did sell my vehicle before moving, and cannot afford to buy another, so there will be no way to get to a gym... and I really can't afford to buy anything too spiffy for a home-gym, either. I'm able to get out and walk lots now... I'm getting about 2 hours of walking in most days, usually carrying my baby in a sling to increase calorie burn, and often carrying groceries one-way, too. Once the snow comes, that will be a bit more of a challenge, esp when Dec-Jan brings the very, very cold weather... brrr.
Anyway, I'll have a few challenges in being creative with exercise once the really cold weather sets in and I won't be leaving the house much, in somehow meeting people in this new and somewhat isolating situation, and in keeping on track with eating when boredom may come to trigger some old bad habits...
Hope everyone has a great weekend... looking forward to getting to know you all!
barbj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #18  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Barb, welcome! You lucky duck getting a year of paid maternity!! So many here in the states would give anything for that. I'm lucky enough to be a stay at home mom, but it comes at a price... mostly our bank account..lol. I'm so happy you got to move to be with/near your family, that is important.

Well, I did HORRIBLE this weekend Saturday was our 6th anniversary We have never celebrated much for it, but we did this year! Friday night we went to see Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (seeing a movie at the theater in 3D is totally amazing, we are going to take the kids to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs this coming weekend... lets home I can control myself then!), not only did we eat a large popcorn between the two of us I ate one of those boxes of M&Ms Saturday I did pretty well all day, we took the kids for a long ride to look at the beautiful leaves. We went up to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, had a picnic and we all shared a small cake. I would have been fine if I would have stuck with a light dinner, but on the way home hubby and I decided we needed some us time and stopped at the store for a pack of steaks.... sadly hubby went in for them and came out with 2 steaks in a package that each weighed a pound! Yep I ate the whole 1 pound steak. Yesterday, I did pretty well until dinner. We made chicken fajitas on whole wheat tortillas... they were so good I ate 2 of them... was soooo stuffed I could have puked and totally regretted it in the end. I would have been fine calorie wise with one of those huge fajitas, but 2 was way over the limit!

Oh well... starting over today, can't beat myself up over what I have done in the past... I can only look at today and plan for tomarrow.

Last edited by findingfawn; 10-12-2009 at 10:08 AM.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #19  
By God's Grace

I had a remarkably bad 3 days. Caleb had/has swine flu (fever broke today, hopefully it's gone!) so I was eating whatever and whenever I could. Lots of eating out and lots of junk.

Today is a new day, no need to continue this trend!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'2

I didn't have the greatest weekend ever either. I learned that I shouldn't really send my husband on the grocery trip! He always comes home with sweets. I have no self control when it comes to sugar. Today is a new day! I have an appointment with Jillian Michael's in a half hour to kick my butt!
Kyla0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #21  

Height: 5'5"

I'm still here too!! I'm at 190 but the scale was at 189.5 for a day. Very anxious to get to the 180s for real.
My computer died so I'm using my phone. Kind of a pain. We have a new system on it's way.
Dieting has gone well. Exercise...meh. I'm walking but have slacked on running. Trying to motivate myself to get off my butt.

My baby is 14 months old, almost 15 & nursing when I get home from work til bed time. Not constantly--ha. I pump once during the day. I'm wondering when she'll wean. She gets so excited to nurse--she squeals & shivers. I am in it for the long haul tho. Love breastfeeding

Ok enough rambling.
Saikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #22  

Ok.. Saiken's post made me think... do you have a plan for stopping breast feeding? I mean do you have an age where you will say "that's enough"?

My goal is to make it to a year this time around, my plan was to quit at 18 months, but not I'm not so sure I will be able to...lol. With my oldest I didn't bf, with my DD, I had to stop at 5 months because I was 5 months out of a section and 2 months pregnant and the dr started panicing. With my 3yo DS, I made it to 6 months and needed my body back, I had been hating nursing for months.. he was a very large baby and at 6 months he still had the abitity to hold himself into postions of a 6 month old but was as heavy as an 18 month old (he was like 24 pounds at 6 months.. now at 3 he is a solid muscle 45+ pounds!). The little guy is nice to nurse, and I can see that he enjoys the bond (DD loved it too, 3yo DS didn't seem to care either way.. he never had trouble taking a bottle etc, DD and the baby both HATE(D) the bottle). Anyway, I guess I will think about that more when that time gets here.

Last edited by findingfawn; 10-13-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #23  
By God's Grace

A bad week all around, I'm really hoping not to gain at Friday's weigh in but won't be surprised if I do.

Caleb has gone down to 2 feedings per day. He is really not interested in nursing, so I quit forcing that mid-day feeding on him. In the morning and at night he'll latch on for about a minute at a time and then detach and look around and play for a few seconds; repeat 4 or 5 times per side. He doesn't want to take time out of his busy day to nurse. It's going to be a struggle to get this kid to nurse for a year. On the bright side (I guess), he loves cow's milk from his sippy cup so when I do stop nursing completely I shouldn't have any problems getting enough protein in him. (For those of you that may worry - I did talk to his Dr and she said that cows milk one feeding per day was just fine, especially since he's so close to that one year mark [Nov. 21st]) Part of me is going to be glad to be done nursing, part of me is sad about it. Ah well, sometimes it's time to let go a little... right?

Last edited by Gale02; 10-14-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #24  
By God's Grace

And then I go out to lunch today and eat fried zuchinni and homemade chips...

I guess if you're going to fall off the wagon you may as well fall BIG!!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #25  

Location: Orignally from Central Ohio area now going to school in Utah

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

GAHHH I need to vent for a second to other moms that know what I'm going through so bare with me for a second or just skip right on to the next post!!!

I'm just sooo frusterated with breastfeeding and dieting right now! Before the little one came along I would not even really have to "diet" maybe just cut out a snack a day and I would drop 5lbs a week easily... NOWWWW its like I have to work my butt off, I'm staying from 1500-1600 calories (which is the lowest I can per drs orders in order to have enough milk for my baby) and I"m losing like 1-2 lbs a week... My daughter is nearly 9 months old and I'm like still 20lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight! I was 238 two days before I gave birth to my 8lb 8oz daughter and then got down to like 218 and THEN I got a Mirena IUD and I skyrocketed back up to 227lbs!!

You think God would be easier on the ones who dont have the time or energy to focus on dieting/exercising!! haha
BrittniMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #26  

Oh Brittni, I can so relate... well sort of. I'm doing good on losing, but I have to struggle all day not to eat like a pig. I am constantly hungry, no matter what I eat.

As far as the Mirena.. I had the paragaurd after my 3rd.. I didn't want hormones at all. That thing was a nightmare! After 5 months of bleeding so heavy I couldn't leave my house and was going through 4 or more pads an hour and usually my clothes for that hour too I had it removed. They insisted I needed something so I went against my better judgement and went on the pill. I too flew up the scale and also had a small nervous breakdown. It ended in hubby and I having our only ever fight... and him flushing the pills down the toilet. Hormonal BC is a total nightmare for many many women
Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #27  

Oh, as for me.. well I have been struggling. I need to get a grip and I need to get it fast because I'm getting to the point where I turn the tide and give up almost every time I have ever tried to change my life like this.

This time I know how important it is, I have given myself the option to lose this weight alone or with surgery. I DO NOT want surgery, I know too many people who have had problems after it, so I HAVE to do this on my own. I am done having babies, it's now time for me to take back my body.. I can and will do this.

Oh and Gale, don't be too hard on yourself, Today is a new day and you can start all over
Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #28  
By God's Grace

I didn't go to weight watchers today. Caleb (and consequently I) was awake from 3am until 6:15am. After changing him and wrapping him up so he was warm and rocking him and letting him cry for a long time, I thought "hey, maybe he's hungry"... I figured it was a long shot since he hasn't eaten at night since he was 3 months old. But, I get him a cup of milk about 5:45am, he chugged 8 oz and fell right asleep until 10:30. I feel like I win the bad mother award for not thinking he was hungry before then.

Needless to say, I wasn't getting up at 8 this morning to go to weight watchers. Next week.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #29  

Oh Gale, I have been there! Now I just instantly throw a boob in the poor guys face at the first whimper at night. We still have nights once in a while where he will think it's time to get up and play at 3 am... what the heck is up with that? Hubby will just laugh at Cameron's squeels of delight and go right back to sleep... and I silently grumble at him and think "pack your own damn lunch before work".. then I lovingly get up and pack his stupid lunch.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #30  
By God's Grace

We're only nursing twice per day right now so I'm just not producing any milk at night. I would have nursed him if I could. My milk production is way down since Caleb is trying to wean himself.

It's so unusual for him to get up at night, but especially to stay awake like that... I should have known something was hinky.