Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #1  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Breastfeeders losing weight

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a monthly breastfeeders trying to lose weight thread. I know I could sure use the accountability. I'm only bfing for about 5 more months, but I've stopped losing weight in the meantime and I want to get going again. It would help to have a group to check in with!

Gale
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I'd be interested. Haven't lost anything since giving birth. My mom said bfing never helped her lose the weight either. sigh!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #3  
By God's Grace

Same with my mom. She did lose all of her weight with one of my brothers right away because she had a really bad stomach flu... not the way to go, IMO.

It's been hard for me, not being able to lose weight while bfing. I feel abnormal in my circle of family and friends. I have 3 cousins that have had babies in the last few months and they were all back in their (teeny tiny) jeans within 4-6 weeks. I'm happy for them, but it makes me feel like there's something wrong with me.

I did get out and go for a walk/jog today with Caleb. He loves trucking along in his stroller. Since I have to be up at 5:30ish anyhow, I'm going to make it a point to get out that door at least 4 days per week. Hopefully I'll eventually be all running, but for now it's mostly walking with a bit of running interspersed. I ran a gigantic hill today, that was an accomplishment! I usually run the downhill and walk all of the uphill bits. Today I ran down and up... woohoo!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Good for you going out at 5:30. I'm useless in the morning. I've been trying to go to the gym around 9 in the morning when my mom can watch him but she had knee surgery today so I have to figure something else out. I'm thinking of trying to do it in the evening if I can convince dh to do bedtime - which is hard 'cause I'm bfing - lol.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #5  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

My youngest will be 1 next week, but she'll nurse until she weans on her own. It took me until the 3rd kid to realize that I won't magically drop weight just by breastfeeding, though the denial that "maybe this time..." was strong. I started WW when she was 2 months old (though to be honest I didn't have high hopes, just thinking that I would never be able to lose weight while nursing).
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #6  
By God's Grace

Hi Kestrel! I also don't have super high hopes for losing weight while bfing, but I would like to get into the mode and see what I can do. I'm going to bf for a year and I figure I can get back into serious weight loss after he's weaned.

I went for a walk this morning about 6. It was slow, but it was something (about 2.5 miles). Better than nothing, I figure! Boy was I ever GROUCHY this morning! Poor DH, I was really a jerk to him. I've since gotten a grip on myself, but it made for a rough start to the day. Most of the time I'm ok with the 5:30am wake up call, but today it just grated on me. I'm going to choose to make tomorrow a much better day. And this weekend... yeesh! My in-laws are coming into town - we'll see how that goes. I have a feeling kiddo's schedule is going to get all out of whack, but I keep telling myself it's only for a couple of days (and repeat as needed.)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

I'm in!

I am trying to run 30 mins 5 days a week. So far I've been doing that for the past four months. I started getting better w/ my diet around the end of May.

I am GETTING THIS WEIGHT OFF.
Saikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #8  
Slowly but surely

I've been really happy with my results so far, and finally decided it's time to start exercising too. Last week I started taking karate, and I'm loving it and getting a great work out. (I trained in tae kwon do when I was 17-18, but that was about 16 years ago. I'm glad to start training again.) DD2 is finally old enough to be away from me for a few hours without thinking she's going to die without a boob. DH is home with the three of them (all under 4 years old) while I go to class on Monday and Wednesday nights.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #9  
Slowly but surely

Saikin - I just read your post in the other thread, my daughter is 11 months also. She'll be 1 next week. (I'm also still nursing my 2, almost 3 year old but she doesn't nurse very often now.)
Old 07-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #10  
chomp chomp

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5'7"

I'd like to join... I'm having a heck of a time losing weight while BF'ing. I thought it would be easy... 500 calories a day, right? But no, the weight is not going anywhere. I do supplement with formula, but not that much (today was like 4 oz.). I think my body just wants to hold on to its fat stores while I am BF'ing. I go back to work September 1, so I don't know if I will continue to nurse after that.
kitchencurtains3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

I will join you guys in about 10 weeks.....
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #12  
Dream~Hope~Believe~Live

S/C/G: 177/161/145

Height: 5'3"

I'm SO in! I have been bfeeding for 5 1/2 months and have not lost any weight since about the 7 week mark. I walk all the time and have decided it's time to evaluate my caloric intake a little more closely. Any advice out there? This is my 1st baby and I love every minute of it. I would just love it more if I could fit into my old jeans.....
linds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275/173/150

Height: 5'5"

I am nursing my 14 mos old. Have been doing Weight Watchers since January (I use 5 of the 10 nursing points because she eats solids too). I'm down from 242.6 to 195.8. It can be done! And you get to eat a bit more than if you are not nursing also.
myrrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I always gain weight the first few months postpartum, it's frustrating! At around 6 months the weight starts coming off a little bit. My DD is 18 months and we're still trucking... 70 lbs down, yay! It can be done! Slow and steady wins the race lol
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #15  
Chubbles

Ok I pretty much NEVER post here...but I just found this thread and soooo happy I did! My daughter is 9 months old and nowhere near done nursing yet. Though lately she's been getting teeth and it's been hurting really, really bad, combined with my weight issues I've considered stopping soon...but I REALLY want to hold out and keep going, it's just hard, most people ask me when I'm going to be done and I don't have a lot of support anymore. I think nursing has been my excuse for not getting serious about a diet/exercise plan but I can't wait anymore, I need to do something! It's just overwhelming starting from scratch. Not to mention the fact that I am going to have to eat super low calorie foods now because I eat a TON and am always hungry, esp. after feeding the baby!
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote