Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Mirena

Not related to Weight Loss just needed some more info

A friend of mine is on the Mirena IUD and she has been bleeding for over a week with clots that are fleshy looking. She doesn't have health insurance so she can't just call her doctor. She is possibly going to go to the clinic but I was wondering anyone know anyone or have heard that you can get pregnant on the Mirena IUD
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

You can get pregnant on any form of birth control. The chances are very small, but it is possible.

She should go to the clinic or see the doctor that inserted the IUD, there are other types of complications that can occur with IUDs. They are rare these days, but it's best to get these things checked out.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-13-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/ticker/130

Height: 5'0''

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a medical student. Please see a medical professional!!!

The Mirena IUD is the one with progesterone in it -- so after you've had it in for awhile (meaning several months), your menses is supposed to either become really light or stop all together. In the first few months of having it in, menses can become irregular -- sometimes involving heavy bleeding, which may be what your friend is experiencing.

In terms of getting pregnant, like Zenor said, you can get pregnant on any form of birth control -- but an IUD has a 0.1% chance of pregnancy after the first 30 days. If you do happen to get pregnant with an IUD in, there is a high likelihood of it being ectopic -- which is BAD.

I would suggest your friend go to a clinic and get it checked out, if for no other reason than peace of mind. I've heard (blogs, classmates, etc.) that many people have experienced side effects from Mirena, so maybe your friend is one of those people. Good luck and I hope your friend feels better soon.
ZetaMD2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #4  
If I can do it...

S/C/G: 243/243/180

Height: 5'5

I have had a mirena in since April 04'. I absolutely love it! I am one of the lucky ones that it has worked for. I rarely get a period anymore and when I do it is just spotting for 1 or 2 days. For the first 6-8 months when I had it inserted my period was a little crazy.. but so was my body still since I had my daughter in March of 2004. By the 9th month everything worked itself out. When my period first disappeared I was extremely nervous and would take pregnancy test all the time... but 4 1/2 years later.. I have not gotten pregnant.

I did have a friend of mine that got hers inserted right after me and hers wasn't as successful. She ended up taking it out after having it in for 2 months.

Everybody is different and I guess our body's just react differently. Also I think one of the key things for me was knowing that the Dr. I had put mine in had done lots of IUD's before ...experience counts.
belinda245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Mirena IUD is a very effective form on contraception so I think its very unlikely that the problem is pregnancy. However irregular bleeding can be common especially within the first few months of insertion and in some women this does not settle down.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default ZetaMDbe

Zeta, I know irregular bleeding is common to began with but she has had this for over a year now! So I would think that would not be happening by now.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #7  
If I can do it...

S/C/G: 243/243/180

Height: 5'5

the irregular bleeding should have been gone by now.. she needs to have it checked and make sure its still in place. I get mine checked yearly when i go for my pap.
belinda245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #8  
No description available.

Some women bleed irregularly after the first year....actually many do. There is a chance of pregnancy with the Mirena. It is small, but it can and does happen. I would advise that she be seen. Planned Parenthood would be one option that is more affordable than others. At the very least she should do a home pregnancy test, but she really should be seen based on what you have described to rule out pregnancy and expulsion.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

The chance of getting pregnant with Mirena is 1 in 1000. The odds are on her side. "Fleshy" looking clots are concerning and should be checked out regardless. I hope she got checked out! As midwife mentioned, PP is an affordable option (sliding scale).

Belinda: I also love my Mirena and have nothing but good things to say about it! A close friend of mine had hers surgically removed a week after insertion (perforation). It really does depend on the person and I 100% agree experience counts!!
hotmamacitax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

She should def see a doctor. Bleeding should only happen in the beginning. I have had Mirena for just over 3 years now. I bled in the beginning, first 2-3 months, but I have not bled since. If she has had this for over a year and is having heavy heavy bleeding like this it's best that she sees a doctor. One of the risks of an IUD is that it can shift position and perforate holes into the uterus, which obviously is VERY BAD.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #11  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

It definitely sounds like she needs to get checked out by someone. I expelled my Mirena.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote