Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #1  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

Smile The PostPartum Period

Last year my dad had an angioplasty which scared the mess out of me... especially since heart disease, diabetes and obesity run rampant on his side of the family (and have already attributed to the deaths of my grandparents, uncle and a heart attack for my aunt). I'm a carbon copy of his family so I started trying to lose weight and get healthy at about this time last year. It took me a real long time to lose 20lbs, then I gained 10 back. But that's just because I was only exercising, not really eating much better and my husband jokes that the way I eat rivals a linebacker in college... only junk food, fast food, soda, desserts, etc. and all in large quantities.

When I got pregnant I started to eat way better, since the usual stuff made me nauseous which helped wean me off unhealthy food and even though I couldn't exercise because of bleeding issues, I ended up losing 20lbs during the first few months of pregnancy and only got back up to that weight now that I'm 9 months pregnant. My midwife says that I will weigh less leaving the hospital than I did when I first came to the doctor, but that's ok because I'm within the appropriate BMI range for my height.

This all has me feeling a bit optimistic about continuing my weight loss plans after pregnancy, but I'm still trying to be realistic because the postpartum period really is the hardest time for me. I have a tendency to get stressed and depressed which usually results in me eating a lot and unhealthily. In the past I was usually upset by all the weight gained during pregnancy and the way I felt about the changes to my body and life, but this time around I should be relieved that I'll be healthier post pregnancy than I was pre-pregnancy. I guess I'm just worried that ppd will set in and ruin everything I've worked for.

The other things I'm worried about are how to start exercising again and how it might affect my ability to breastfeed. Since I haven't done anything physical really since February, I know I have to take it slow but I still want it to be effective. I know I'm not supposed to do anything before my dr gives the ok, but after that where do I start? Before I was doing weight training, Tae Bo, Power 90, etc. so it was pretty strenuous. How do I work my way back up to that? What is there out there that's low impact but will still make me feel like I'm actually doing something? (And won't interfere in any way with breastfeeding?)

I understand that I have to take it slow and healthy but I want to make sure that I'm always moving forward toward my goal of getting healthier, fitter and leaner so I can be around to take care of my kids till I'm old and decrepit.

My starting weight was 162, my first trimester weight was 156 and at 9 months pregnant, I weigh a healthier, leaner 158. I don't know how much I'm expected to lose by just giving birth... but my longterm goal (hopefully reachable by March of next year) is 125lbs, which is appropriate for my height. That gives me 5 months to lose about 25lbs. That's reasonable, right? ... especially considering that I'll be breastfeeding (hopefully).

I would love to hear any advice anyone has.

Last edited by inklestinkle; 09-15-2007 at 02:57 PM.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #2  
Kimberly

I had banked on losing weight due to breastfeeding, but here I am still at the same weight I was when I walked into the Hospital to deliver. I lost the weight and then gained it right back due to the huge appetite that comes with nursing. I think not being nauseous every time I ate also contributed to the gain. Anyway, PPD got me down for the 1st 3.5 months, I'm just now getting better about it. I would try walking as far as starting off getting back to working out. My friend walks everynight and she makes me sick with how good she looks. Thats also something you can do within a few weeks of coming home and you can take your baby. Get a sling or a little Snugli carrier and add carry the baby instead of strolling (as soon as they can hold their head up) the added weight will help, also. I'm real good at saying what needs to be done, its doing it that I have trouble with. good luck.
Mom2Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/202/170

Height: 5'6"

I really think that walking is where it's at when you've got a little baby. I had a CuddlyWrap and it was the most fantastic carrier for my daughter when she was tiny. Wraps are a little tricky to figure out when you start out, but if you can contact LLL or some local baby stores you might be able to get some help. I hated my snugli and slings always hurt my back because of the uneven weight distribution. Ergo's are great too, but I didn't get mine until this year so I'm not too sure how well they work with tiny ones. If you wear your baby during the day around the house you'll also be burning up extra calories.

Exercising won't interfere with breastfeeding as long as you're staying within your calorie range and drinking enough fluids. There used to be this thought that exercising made milk taste bad, but it's untrue.

If you've had problems with PPD in the past, getting outside in the sunlight can be helpful. As long as you live in an area where the weather permits, packing up your baby and going for a good walk outside each day might be all the exercise you need to start out. It's pretty easy to step up the intensity of walking by increasing your speed, increasing your distance, including hills, etc.
KimProbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #4  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

I'll second the walking and add in a yoga or other baby & Mommy dvd. It is fun to have something to do with baby.
I think you should stop saying you'll try to breastfeed hopefully and just say you WILL. I am a firm believer in manifesting what we put in our brains. Something like 90%+ of women who haven't had breast surgery are able to breastfeed, it just takes a lot more work for some than others. If you can't you can deal with that too, but don't start out with negative thinking.
Ok, sorry, off my soapbox now! You have done fantastic with your weight loss. I gained lost 10 lbs my first month pregnant and actually today weigh 30 lbs less than I did when I got pregnant! My baby girl is 3 months old.
I would also suggest that you really focus on continuing to eat well. I think that's been key for me.
Congratulations on your baby and all your weight loss successes!
Kim
Ottoette is offline   Reply With Quote