PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #1  

Question IR, I'm tired of living this way, need help

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, don't have POCS, I have not been diagnosed with IR but I'm sure I am. Most doctors have been no help, the say I might have a mild case of hypoglycemia, suggest that I eat six times a day. Others don't say anything other than lose weight. One Dr. actually told me that he just didn't know what was going on with me. I'm going to another Dr. in the next few weeks but I have come up some of my own promising infomation. Here are my symptoms in a nutshell:
Excessive weight gain( thyroid?)
But most significant is literally passing out after eating sugar, over the years I have fallen asleep at the wheel, found myself waking up at work, falling asleep on customers on the phone, not remembering when I fell asleep, feeling tired all the time, waking up and going to bed with headaches sometimes for a week at time etc...All of this takes place after I eat sugar, bread, pasta,potatoes, any refined carbs and some whole grain, low glycemic items too.

These problems only subside and I only have energy when I eliminate all carbs, I have tried the carb addicts diet and went overboard with the reward meals, not a workable plan for me. I'm afraid of Atkins the articles and stuff that I have read about it really scare the bejezes out of me. I'm trying sugar busters but the carbs that it does allow put me right back to sleep.

I just need lots of support. I'm afraid to go fully low carb even though that's the only thing that works, I don't want to damage myself any futher. Finally my question....drum roll please...Has anyone here been/is on a low carb diet or eating lifestyle and how does that work for you. Do any of you know of any low/no carb diets that a person can remain on for a long period of time. Oh yeah and how can I forget, when I eliminate carbs and then go back to them the symptoms are the same or worse. Any help/suggestions/comments are welcome.

Peace and blessings
ruthie
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #2  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Ruthie -

I just tried to post one reply to you and for some reason it didn't work - Anyway...I don't have the answer but wanted to say I am sorry that you are having these problems. It sounds like you need to keep going to doctors and being the squeaky wheel until they figure out what the real problem is! Don't let them make you think it is all in your head, which they tend to do when they can't figure something out, in my humble opinion!

Take care and blessings to you too!!

Lesley
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #3  

I have done low carb in the past. I don't know why you are afraid of it. Atkins is not the extreme diet that many believe it to be. When done properly, you eat vegetables and low carb fruits, as well as meats. Some people can get away with eating tons of fat and still lose, but most can't do that. Moderation is the key. I am hypothyroid, have Lupus, and have been diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. Sugarbusters is the diet that has worked the best for me. I recently read a very good book called Mastering Leptin by Byron Richards that has helped me a lot. I struggle to lose every pound, so I am always eager to find new and better info to make it easier.

If you can't handle Sugarbusters allowed starches, why not do the program, but cut out the trigger foods you can't handle? There is no perfect diet, because we are all different. Tweak the plan you find suits you the best until its is perfect for YOU. I hope you find a plan that suits you and you can live with. I am sure its scary having such a reaction to carbs as you do.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Ruthie, have you thought about the South Beach diet? There's a large forum here for it. It's a "good carb" diet. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113
Sending you a big hug...
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 326/326/164

Height: 5'11"

I have IR and My Hubby is Diabetic and I follow his diabetic diet. I am not sure if it would have to many carbs for you or not but for a female you are allowed 188g carbs per day. 60g per meal with an 8g snack. he has lost a ton of weight on this and I have just started following it the right way and am seeing some results. and you can eat pretty well what ever you want as long as you stay in the carb range for your meals.
When you go see your new doctor be sure to explain what is going on and request to have blood work ordered. To diagnos my IR they did a 2 hour insulin level. I had to go in fasting let them draw blood and then go home eat a list of things they told me to, and go back 2 hours later and have my blood drawn again. I was told my insulin levels fasting were great, but after eating they went through the roof.
Hope this helped,
~Sharon
~Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #6  

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I have never had a 2 hour glucose test done, only the one hour and of course with that everything was fine. I'll let you know how it turns out after my visit. As for the food, I'm doing a little of every program at this point and it seems to be working. I've learned so much from the different eating plans I've been on that I can follow a little of each one and I seem to be doing well with that. The "less than 3 grams of sugar" rule from Glycemic eating has helped a lot too. I can eat stone ground whole wheat bread now but I"m keeping to just one slice and no sleepies! Thanks so much for your help and I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #7  
Groban's Mommy

Wow. That was me to a T. Try South Beach, but skip Phase I. Phase I was really hard for me because I felt too deprived. If you go directly to Phase II, you can still have good carbs, but you have to keep them in moderation. South Beach was great and I loved it and loved the foods I could have. Check out some of the info on this website.
grumpybear902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8

msruthie-

Are you taking Synthroid? For the past few years, I have felt completely miserable- I felt so bad- exhausted, depressed, unmotivated that I had mono and didn't even know it! My doctors kept telling me that they could find nothing wrong, I just needed to lose weight, and one actually suggested that my symptoms were psychological! They were treating me for PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which is similar to IR and I was taking glucophage and it was making me terribly sick. I also have hypoglycemia, and I felt like my sugar was always out of control. I had also been gaining weight, despite dieting for years, and NOTHING I tried would make me lose weight, and I literally tried everything! I was seriously considering WLS.

Well, being in the military, we move alot, and this summer moved to Texas where I was finally able to get to see an Endocrinologist who ran tons on tests on me, and found out that I have Hypothyroidism, not PCOS, and started me immediately on Synthroid. My world completely changed! I feel like I am 20 again! I wake up in the morning and I am happy and alert and I have energy to get out and do things, I have been exercising every day and FINALLY for the first time in eight years I am losing weight! I am doing NutriSystem, but really only for the convenience of pre-counted calories and ready made food. (I have done NutriSystem before and didn't lose any weight) I am amazed every day at what one tiny little pill can do. I also haven't had one episode with my blood sugar now in weeks, but I'm not sure if that is thyroid related, or diet related, or maybe a little of both.

So, I highly recommend seeing an Endocrinologist, if you haven't already. My family doctor kept telling me over and over that there was nothing wrong with me, and within 10 minutes of talking to my Endo she knew there was a problem, and that I didn't have PCOS, and she knew it was thyroid related before the tests even came back.
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #9  

Just wanted to say that I am on a diabetic diet with controlled carbohydrates -- not because I'm diabetic, but 1) to control hypoglycemia and 2) to help with weight loss. I guess I wouldn't call it low-carb... I'd call it "showing me what a normal carb intake looks like." I only get 145g of carbs on mine.... probably for the weight-loss thing... And I'm eating 7 times a day. I used to feel ridiculously tired after (what I thought was normal) carbohydrate intake, and now this is managing it pretty well.

But yeah, I agree -- cutting back on carbs and then having a little more than usual REALLY brings out the symptoms again, worse than before.... You'll probably notice that with your glucose test too.... Drs hate to give those tests to people because it just magnifies their symptoms, but it does give them a good idea of what's going on.

Good luck with your medical journey and best of wishes.
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #10  

Maybe it's an underlying condition like a food allergy?? Maybe you're allergic to wheat???? I wish I had the answers for you. I'll say a little prayer for you.

emerald dragonfly
emerald dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:12 AM   #11  
Ready To Change!

S/C/G: 270/240/170

Height: 6'1"

Hi MsRuthie,

You've gotten lots of great advice! I hope you find something that works for you. I definitely agree that you should keep going to different doctors-- esp. an endocrinologist. I had to go to 4 different doctors (who told me to 'quit eating so much') before I was diagnosed with IR.

One eating plan that hasn't been mentioned is the WW Core plan. It's similar to the others (SB, Atkins, Sugarbusters, etc...), but has it's differences. I started dropping weight after being on it one week (and starting glucophage). My headaches disappeared within a few days. I really feel great. I like the weekly support, too, which is why I chose WW over the other plans.

Good luck! I hope you get a helpful doctor and start feeling better soon!
Cheryl170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:59 PM   #12  

Oh yes ladies this is heaven, I need to be tkaing Synthroin but lo and behold no insurance yet, I can't wait until that kicks in again, I've been a contractor and just received benefits starting Feb 1. But I must tell you that I have been in blizzful heaven of the AWAKE and ALIVE for the past two weeks. I am eating very low carb right now. No processed foods at all. I don't feel deprived don't worry! I'm too afraid of falling asleep to fee deprived. Since I cut out most of the carbs I can tell when I've had too much of something b/c immediately I feel drugged and I wake up with that awful "sugar hangover". This has been so much more about being awake and feeling well than anything. When I did put in some 100% whole wheat bread and SBD cereal my weight loss seemed to stall. I will still have some 100% whole wheat cereal if I want but no sleepies is the most important thing. I'm eating about 5-6 times a day all whole unprocessed foods, lots of protien and fat. I feel totally great! The only problem is I excercise regularly and I may need to increase my calorie intake a little I used a site today that measured my calories at a little close to 1000 not enough. I going to add some fruit and dairy and see how it goes. But I have gotten so much help here thanks so much for taking the time to write back. This site is awesome.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #13  

Hi Ruthie!!

I am Hypoglycemic and IR!! I've had the 5 hour test and have had rapid weight gain.....60lbs in 8 months! I was devistated!!

I am taking 500 mg of Metformin 2x a day and have not had too much luck.(may need to increase) When I exercise for 20 min on the treadmill at a slow pace, my sugar drops really fast. So, I have to eat before and after! Kinda defeats the purpose.

I was having symptoms similar to yours and went to see an endocrineologist. I got a glucose meter and test often. It has made an improvement in my life.

I was on South Beach and having sucess, but then the symptoms got worse. I saw a dietition and she recommended a diet based on the Diabetic servings.

Breakfast is 3 servings of complex carbs 1 serving = 15 grams
Snack 2 servings
Lunch 3 servings
snack 2 servings
dinner 3 servings
snack 2 servings

When I choose my carbs, I make sure they are whole grain and complex. No white bread or white rice. It has helped, but I just need to start being able to exercise without rapid drops in my blood sugar. I would definitely go see an endocrineologist to see if they can help you.

Good Luck!
Heidi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #14  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

Jumping in here to add that I too am hypothyroid w/insulin resistance. Added much weight suddenly 5 years ago and couldn't figure out why. Tried for the past 3 to lose with no success, despite diet and exercise. Frustrating isn't the word! Devistating is more like it...

No doctor I spoke to would take the time it took to search for an answer. I FINALLY sought out a doctor that listened and tested me to the hilt! Yes, I also had a ( fasting ) glucose / insulin intolerence test. You MUST see what your fasting glucose is along with your two hour results. Mine were high on both counts...but not high enough to be considered type 2 yet. YET!

Well, I finally had my answer and here I am. I'm currently taking 88 mcgs of Levoxyl / 10 mcgs of Cytomel for my thyroid. I am on "medical supplements" instead of prescription such as Metformin. I've been eating South Beach successfully for 6 weeks now and am thrilled to say I've lost 10 pounds! That took me 1.5 years to do previously. And I no longer have the extreme sugar highs and lows, and cravings that I did before.

You've explained some serious effects of your highs and lows and really need to get this figured out soon! You probably shouldn't even be driving right now. The one thing I've learned with both diseases is that we sometimes have to take the "bull by the horns" with these doctors, especially woman. Many times I've been made to feel that I don't know what I'm talking about or my own body. I've learned to speak up until I get results. I figure I'm the one that has to go home and try to live half a life...they just go on to the next patient.

Good luck. I'm thinking of you and would love an update. I'm sorry you too have to go through this...
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #15  
Movin on down the scale

You know I am glad you posted this, as I am going to the dr this week finally to have my labs checked up on and I have been feeling just like this. Sleepy/no energy, ect. I HAVE hypothyriodism and have been suspecting that I could very well be IR. I am going to ask my dr about testing me for IR on thursday since I know there is something going on. I am also going to ask to either be put on armour for my thyroid or to have cytomel added to my synthroid. I only put weight on about 5 years ago, like 5 lbs per month it was very discouraging since I have just lost 115lbs in 1993, then to gain 70lbs even though I changed nothing in my diet....wow that was devistating. So I have gotten the thyroid diagnosed but there has got to be still more. So I am going in for complete bloodwork and hopefully can get my health/weight back on track, I want to lose another 15-25lbs and get on with life again, I tired of feeling tired!
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote