PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #1  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default Any Larger ladies run? for weight loss?

HI!
NOw i dont know why, But i Have always wanted to run..
I have about total of 50 lbs to lose.with pcos its super hard..
. I want to learn how to run..
Yeah i know 1 foot in front of the other..

But .. There must be a way. cause if i just start running my body is ging to say.. HOLY COW NO way..
IM guessing just start walking then power walking then jogging? and so forth?
is it bad to run iwth extra weight?

I always wanted.. Some day to do some sort of marathon?

There are all kinda of books for learning to run, but they are 120 perfectly thin people .. Just wondering if anyone out there. whos not Perfectly tiny runs?

Springs right around the corner!

Anne Marie
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #2  

Hello Anne Marie! I am currently 209 and have been running since about 230. I used to weigh 296 in 2000, then I lost 110 lbs. Unfortunately I gained back about 50 of it and I am on my way back down. I have been a regular exerciser for some time so running is a bit easier for me than it would be for anyone else, overweight or not, to start doing.

I would highly recommend a book on learning to run. Most books provide tips on how to learn to run along with a 12-13 week traing program to follow. It also should contain a portion on common running/walking injuries and how to avoid them.

Another great way for anyone to learn to running or walk a long distance is to join a running clinic in your local city or town. Most cities have organized walk/runs all the time, you would be surprized. For example, where I live (Vancouver, BC) I am in a 13 week training clinic to run the Vancouver sun run which is about 6 miles. The clinic I am in has 102 participants of all shapes and sizes and sure to be even more at the finish line as this event attracts 50,000 people from all over the world. There are three diffrent training schedules to follow. One is to learn to walk 6miles, two is to learn to run 6 miles, and the third is learn to run 6 miles faster. I'm doing the run 6 mile faster portion and train 3 days a week as outlined for all levels. I could find the schedule and e-mail it to you if your interested.

Don't ever think that you can't run anyone can over time. It takes lots of hard work but it is so rewarding. I love to run and I can see myself doing it till I'm old and grey. I too would love to run a marathon and hope to start with a half marathon this October. I hope this helps. If you have any questions you think I can help with let me know. Good luck to you and I hope you become a runner.

Kassie

Last edited by Ms.K; 03-10-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Ms.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #3  
jammin on the bandwagon

S/C/G: 245/slider/145

Height: 5'6"

Hey ameg. I am at 199lbs and started running at about 240 lbs.
I now love it!
My best advice is to:

get good shoes.

warm up, stretch then jog then stretch again.

push a little but not to hard. if you are really sore the next day-go for a walk. then don't push as hard next time.

walk a bit run a bit indeed. here are two great info sites. adjust times to your own needs. if you need to start by jogging 3 wallking 5 then do that.

http://www.nzgirl.co.nz/articles/4490
http://www.fitfaq.com/2004/07/chi-ru...ut-injury.html

happy running!
shhambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:13 AM   #4  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

Hi
THanks so much for the replies.
I will check out those sites.. and thinking about starting soon.
Were still getting awful weather in this area (connecticut) but spring is around the corner.. thanks...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #5  

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan is something I myself tried to do, only I am so overweight that my poor little feet can't take the stress

If you're light enough that the running won't put too much strain on your joints you might wanna check out that link too.
subcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I ran when I was down below 200 pounds (still a lot on a 5'2" frame) years ago. I didn't really intend to, and then I read a book -- The Courage to Start, by John "The Penguin" Bingham. It was a great book! He started out overweight at 240 pounds, and one day decided he wanted to run. Carefree bliss! So he took off from his front porch, made it to the end of the driveway, and nearly collapsed.

But from there he did manage to find a way to start running, gradually, and got in shape and lost weight. I forget the details, I just remember it being very inspiring. I actually joined a 'Penguin' running club, for larger and less speedy runners, and enjoyed it.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Thin or heavy, you should talk to your doctor first, and have your knees "checked" before taking up running, and of course wear excellent shoes (when running, and for normal wear, for that matter. Knee problems are more common than people think and any high to moderate impact activity can damage knees severely. I know thin and heavy people with horrible knees in their 30's because in their teens and 20's they were avid ... dancers, runners, or football, soccer, curling, or tennis players ....
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #8  

I followed the beginners' programme from here:

www.girlsruntoo.co.uk

And completed it last month. It took me from non runner (at 190lbs or so) to runner (now 168lbs and dropping). I also have PCOS.

I invested in good running shoes very early on and I go running with my dog so he's got fit too. Since completing the programme, I run a couple of times a week, for as long as I feel like, with 1 min walking intervals but the programme was simple to follow and I got no books on running, just read the website.

PhatP x
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote