PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:20 PM   #1  

Default New here

Hi. I've been reading through the threads, and everybody here seems so nice, encouraging, and helpful. I was recently diagnosed with IR. My doctor Rx'd xenical and metformin. Has anybody else been prescribed both? I'm nervous because the main pitfall of both is diahrrea . So.....I started the xenical, and have been really watching the fat intake. Now I have to decide whether or not to start taking the metformin, but I'm nervous about it. Do most people experience a good weight loss with it? Do most people have side effects? She only Rx'd 500 mg. a day, and it seems that most people are on more than that, so I'm hoping for no side effects. I'm not a big prescription taker, preferring herbs and supplements over prescriptions.

Any suggestions would be great!
Julie
wannabeslimnow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:37 AM   #2  
HW 205 (March 04), CW 192

Red face also new

I have just discovered this site and the PCOS support group, and I really like what I see. I also have PCOS, and have most all of the symptoms (larger upperbody and middle with chicken legs, irregular periods and I am talking only one per year on average, unwanted hair under my chin for which I underwent lots of electrolosis for, difficulty becoming pregnant and losing weight, and acne .) I have taken clomid. It took three months worth with my first child, born 3/02, and only one month for second baby, born 1/04. Since I was diagnosed in my early twenties I lived in fear of never having children for about 8 years, so I thank God every day for my babies . For the women out there who are trying to get pregnant DON'T GIVE UP, PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO YOUR BODIES, AND TRY AS HARD AS YOU CAN TO GET AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN TO AN IDEAL WEIGHT . With my last child I didn't ovulate until two days before I was to start taking clomid again. So testing can be tricky. I was furtunate to actually feel the ovulation and I think that's why clomid really worked for me. When I ovulated I felt actual cramps and pain not in my abdomen but more inside my vagina (sorry for being so graphic!) I also think that I must have never ovulated in my life before taking clomid, because I have never had pains like those! While I was pregnant I actually passed my blood sugar resistance tests, but I ended up with an 11 lb. baby the first time and a 10 lb. one the second time!

Now that the rush to have babies is over I am left with many excess pounds all around the middle! I just started nutrisystem. I am not on any meds now. I have always been a hard sell on any meds. But if I can't get this weight off I might need some help. I am also VERY concerned with hair loss. My hair is OK now but I am noticing since I gave birth a couple of months ago some loss on top. Losing my hair would be in the top 10 nightmare scenerios! Any advice on meds, weight loss, or preventing hair loss would be appreciated!

Sorry this is so long, but I really don't share most of this with anyone. I work really hard to cover the PCOS symptoms as best I can. In fact I would be mortified if anyone besides my mom knew about the hirsuitism (excess chin hair.) And a couple of weeks ago I had my hair cut and my stylist said something about my hair thinning on top very casually and a couple of other people heard, so I will probably never go to her again. I guess it is the de-feminizing part of the symptoms that really embarass me, not to mention having acne and being overweight!

Thanks to anyone who has read this far!
Sundee
iwannabthinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 AM   #3  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME, Sundee!!!

Wow you had some big babies!! How Cuteeeeeeeeeeeee!! I love babies!!! Just so long as I can hand them back when I'm done mushing them.

I think it's normal to have some hair loss after having a baby. Something about the hormones all getting back to normal, etc. I lost hair too after I had my daughter but it came back within a year. Now though I lose it cause of PCOS. I am only losing it on the left and right side forehead though..not on top like when I had the kid. Actually it has tapered off since I had my ovaries cauterized and got my PCOS under control. I just haven't grown any new hair...so to speak.

Weird things our bodies do when they are un-hormonal balanced huh...

Feel free to join us in the monthly chat!! Our personal venting area... Also feel free to check out our PCOS Articles. Here is a quick link for ya... you will find some in there that pertain to medicine, hair loss, hirtiuism, etc. Feel free to add anymore if you wish!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125

Tanks again for joining us!! Welcome!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:12 AM   #4  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeslimnow!
Hi. I've been reading through the threads, and everybody here seems so nice, encouraging, and helpful. I was recently diagnosed with IR. My doctor Rx'd xenical and metformin. Has anybody else been prescribed both? I'm nervous because the main pitfall of both is diahrrea . So.....I started the xenical, and have been really watching the fat intake. Now I have to decide whether or not to start taking the metformin, but I'm nervous about it. Do most people experience a good weight loss with it? Do most people have side effects? She only Rx'd 500 mg. a day, and it seems that most people are on more than that, so I'm hoping for no side effects. I'm not a big prescription taker, preferring herbs and supplements over prescriptions.

Any suggestions would be great!
Julie
WELCOME, JULIE!!

I was prescribed Metformin but nothing else so I couldn't elaborate on the Xenical. Metformin has been wonderful for me...I had the usual side effects the 1st week but they quickly went away. I noticed that if I don't take it during the middle of a meal I will get a little queasy, but that's it. It worked wonders for me. The 500mg. to start out with is pretty reasonable... It helps your body sorta ease into it. That's how I started then upgraded to 1000mg the week after. I also believe it has helped me with weight loss, but I also did a major diet/what I ate change and started exercising. This was September 30th, and since then I have lost 55 pounds.

Feel free to join us in the monthly chat!! Our personal venting area... Also feel free to check out our PCOS Articles. Here is a quick link for ya... you will find some in there that pertain to medicine, hair loss, hirtiuism, etc. Feel free to add anymore if you wish!

Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabthinner
And a couple of weeks ago I had my hair cut and my stylist said something about my hair thinning on top very casually and a couple of other people heard, so I will probably never go to her again. I guess it is the de-feminizing part of the symptoms that really embarass me, not to mention having acne and being overweight!
Wow, I can REALLY relate to that one. My stylist tried to talk me out of my meds and Rogaine, so she could sell me a bunch of things that I knew would not work. She was absolutely in denial that my hair was coming back-- what is it about stylists, anyway?

And the de-feminizing stuff is so true, it just makes you question your whole gender identity...

Well, never mind that! Welcome to the club, everybody! People are great here, there's a lot of good info, and Noodles really knows her stuff. It helps me a lot to come here every day, and I think you'll enjoy it too.
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:29 PM   #6  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekInnerThinChick
Noodles really knows her stuff.

Well...I wouldn't say that...I think my doctor has me beat by an education better than mine. But what I don't know I will try to find out. The internet is a wonderful encyclopedia of information. It's the searching that takes forever! hahahaha...

BTW Tanks for the compliment.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles913
WELCOME, JULIE!!

I was prescribed Metformin but nothing else so I couldn't elaborate on the Xenical. Metformin has been wonderful for me...I had the usual side effects the 1st week but they quickly went away. I noticed that if I don't take it during the middle of a meal I will get a little queasy, but that's it. It worked wonders for me. The 500mg. to start out with is pretty reasonable... It helps your body sorta ease into it. That's how I started then upgraded to 1000mg the week after. I also believe it has helped me with weight loss, but I also did a major diet/what I ate change and started exercising. This was September 30th, and since then I have lost 55 pounds.

Thanks Noodles! I'm starting the Metformin this weekend, and will be sure to take it with food. I did start the Xenical 3 days ago, and so far no problems whatsoever. I've cut the fat intake down to a bare minimum, and am trying really hard not to eat things I shouldn't. I'm not sure if I have PCOS, but I do have IR.

Way to go on your weight loss, I'm hoping I can be as fortunate, and be as good about my diet.
Julie
Old 04-15-2004, 11:07 AM   #8  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeslimnow!
Thanks Noodles! I'm starting the Metformin this weekend, and will be sure to take it with food. I did start the Xenical 3 days ago, and so far no problems whatsoever. I've cut the fat intake down to a bare minimum, and am trying really hard not to eat things I shouldn't. I'm not sure if I have PCOS, but I do have IR.

Way to go on your weight loss, I'm hoping I can be as fortunate, and be as good about my diet.
Julie
You're See..you are on the right track!! Baby steps lead to bigger steps. Just keep doing what you are doing and in no time you will see somewhat of a difference. Please keep us posted on how the met and Xenical are working for you.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:03 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles913
You're See..you are on the right track!! Baby steps lead to bigger steps. Just keep doing what you are doing and in no time you will see somewhat of a difference. Please keep us posted on how the met and Xenical are working for you.
Will do! Thanks!
Julie