PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/163/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Has metformin helped you lose weight?

So i've been taking metformin for about 6 months now, but haven't really seen much difference weight wise.. I might have to be more patient with it, but i was wondering what your experiences were while on metformin?
Did it help you lose weight more easily?
Thanks!
dreamer2207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #2  

I was on it for a year and never noticed a difference.
kjnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes while in the hospital recovering from surgery. They put me on Metformin right away. For the first month or two I got nauseated when I ate so I wasn't eating as much, and I lost 20 lbs. Eventually the nausea went away. I don't know if that was from the Metformin or a side effect of the surgery. I am still on it 6 years later and see no weight loss benefit. It might depend on your dosage. I started out at 500mg twice a day. Dr kept increasing it gradually until I got to 850 three times a day. That made me nauseated to the point of vomiting, so they cut it back to 850 twice a day. Maybe the vomiting would have helped with weight loss. LOL Just kidding!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 360/347.6/199

Height: 5'8"

My OBGYN has just put me on Metformin in the hopes it'll help me lose weight, along with healthier eating and exercise. It does seem much more difficult for those of us with PCOS.
thewickedcityx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

none
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/214/143

Height: 1.51m

Thumbs down

No, been on it for 4 years and just gained weight!
maddy8559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/259/150

Height: 5'6"

I was on it for a few months in 2012. Hard to say about weight loss, I lost 20 by dieting right before I started, and had to stop because I got pregnant!

I wanted to get back on it, beacuse I thought it would help, but now I am second guessing myself...

Last edited by heidithe9; 03-12-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: I swear I can spell!
heidithe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I was on Met primarily to help me get pregnant (for 9 months before we tried) and to prevent miscarriage (for the first trimester). My weight stayed unchanged. My weight did sort of increase much more rapidly once I went off it, but second trimester of preg does that to you anyway
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 319/314/180

I must be odd or something, because many years ago my previous gynecologist put me on Metformin when I was trying to conceive and testing indicated I was insulin resistant. When I was on Met, along with some slightly healthier eating, I lost a lot of weight, over 30 pounds, I believe over several months. It was so much easier for me to lose weight on Metformin than without it, I wish I could get someone to prescribe it to me now, because my new gynecologist won't.
Minerva78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva78 View Post
I must be odd or something, because many years ago my previous gynecologist put me on Metformin when I was trying to conceive and testing indicated I was insulin resistant. When I was on Met, along with some slightly healthier eating, I lost a lot of weight, over 30 pounds, I believe over several months. It was so much easier for me to lose weight on Metformin than without it, I wish I could get someone to prescribe it to me now, because my new gynecologist won't.
I had a similar situation. I lost weight when on it in the past, but I can;t honestly say if it was that or my diet at the time. If you can't get a prescription and are looking for some help to lose weight, I have been using the OTC brand Liporidex. I got it on Amazon as a buy one get one free offer and surprisingly it is working very well. I have lost weight, I feel better and the best part if my friends have noticed. I know that sounds horrible, but it's always great to hear a compliment from your friends when you have been battling your weight (One small victory!). I am eating less, and have more energy throughout the day. Now when I get home I don't go straight to the couch, I have the energy to play with my kids and even get in a quick workout video a few days a week. Let me know if you have questions. It has helped me a bunch and because it sounds like we have similar stories, it may help you too.
mandykent111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #11  

Met didn't work for me, and plus I felt really weight when taking it. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. Who knows. I ahve seen people talk about Liporidex before but haven't taken it due to cost and just me not knowing if I should try another diet pill. I ahve tried it all I feel like. Not that I am looking for an easy way out, but I just need a little help to get me going AGAIN!
healthnut050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykent111 View Post
I had a similar situation. I lost weight when on it in the past, but I can;t honestly say if it was that or my diet at the time. If you can't get a prescription and are looking for some help to lose weight, I have been using the OTC brand Liporidex. I got it on Amazon as a buy one get one free offer and surprisingly it is working very well. I have lost weight, I feel better and the best part if my friends have noticed. I know that sounds horrible, but it's always great to hear a compliment from your friends when you have been battling your weight (One small victory!). I am eating less, and have more energy throughout the day. Now when I get home I don't go straight to the couch, I have the energy to play with my kids and even get in a quick workout video a few days a week. Let me know if you have questions. It has helped me a bunch and because it sounds like we have similar stories, it may help you too.

I too took met years ago when trying to conceive and who knows if that caused my weight gain or just stress. But I am curious about Liporidex also. Sounds like something that could help me. I am a little skeptical of products like that, but after looking it up on Amazon it said it was natural so I think I might give it a try. @mandykent111 which product do you use? I saw there were multiple to choose from. Thanks and keep it up!
franola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by franola View Post
I too took met years ago when trying to conceive and who knows if that caused my weight gain or just stress. But I am curious about Liporidex also. Sounds like something that could help me. I am a little skeptical of products like that, but after looking it up on Amazon it said it was natural so I think I might give it a try. @mandykent111 which product do you use? I saw there were multiple to choose from. Thanks and keep it up!
Hey Franola! I use the Max and Plus formula. Max is what I take in the morning to kick start my day with a great amount of energy, but not too much like other stuff out there. Then I take Plus in the afternoon about an hour before lunch. Honestly, since taking this I have complete control now when before I was a loose cannon. They seem to have other products too, but I haven't tried them yet. Here is where I got the bogo deal http://www.amazon.com/Best-Weight-Lo...6701755&sr=1-1 Let me know if I can help you anymore! Happy to do so, that is why we're all here right!
mandykent111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #14  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

During my first round of metformin last year i lost about 18lbs. But since i started it back up again this past November there have been no changes in my weight. maybe 2 or 3 lbs but that is it. Metformin does keep my appetite in check. Without I literally eat all day and never feeling full.

Last edited by helwa588; 03-20-2015 at 07:16 AM.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/180/140

Height: 5ft3

I did at first but it tapered off after adjusting. I will say that my binge eating all but disappeared.
helen73 is offline   Reply With Quote