PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #1  
Gettin' Healthy!

S/C/G: 265/258/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Elevated DHEA, Other levels normal

I recently asked my gynecologist to measure my hormone levels since I am 27 and have hirtuism. The hair on my face is pretty bad, I shave daily. I have regular periods and always have. All of my hormone levels came back normal except my dhea was 430. The doctor just recommended Spiro. She never said I definitely have PCOS or that I need any additional testing. I am a little concerned that all of my other hormone levels were normal and since I have regular periods what are the chances this is actually PCOS? I am thinking of making an appointment with my primary and maybe getting an appt with an endocrinologist.

Is it possible to have pcos with regular periods and just elevated dhea?
Firecracker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Pcos patients present in at least five ways. Here is the poll.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...tient-you.html

I would go ahead and make your other appointments because yes... It is possible.

Every person presents different.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 12-22-2014 at 01:29 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/173/130

Height: 5'2

I would definitely push your doctor for more testing, an elevated DHEA level can mean a few things. Your doctor should also be doing tests and imaging to rule out any adrenal problems since your DHEA is elevated. Elevated DHEA levels can be cause by tumors either on the ovaries or adrenal glads or be a sign of adrenal hyperplasia. My OBGYN/reproductive endo ran these test/imaging in addition to the standard PCOS test because I had high levels of testosterone for a female and I did not really meet all the classic signs of PCOS and she wanted to make sure to rule out all other diagnoses before PCOS. I would also recommend seeing an endocrinologist if you are able to and haven't already. I am not sure if you are able to post links here but here is some more information regarding DHEA levels and the test. Well looks like it will not allow me to post links so I will try and copy and paste the info:

DHEAS

More Sharing Services Share on print Share on email
Share on twitter Share on facebook
Share this page:
Was this page helpful?
Also known as: DHEA-SO4; DHEA Sulfate
Formal name: Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate
Related tests: Testosterone; ACTH; FSH; LH; Prolactin; Estrogens; SHBG; 17-Hydroxyprogesterone; Androstenedione

At a Glance
Test Sample
The Test
Common Questions
Ask Us
Related Pages

The Test

How is it used?
When is it ordered?
What does the test result mean?
Is there anything else I should know?

How is it used?

The test for dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) is ordered along with tests for testosterone and several other male hormones (androgens) to:

Evaluate adrenal gland function
Distinguish DHEAS-secreting conditions that are caused by the adrenal glands from those that originate in the testicles or rarely in the ovaries (ovarian tumors)
Help diagnose tumors in the outer layer (cortex) of the adrenal gland (adrenocortical tumors) and adrenal cancers
Help diagnose congenital adrenal hyperplasia and adult-onset adrenal hyperplasia

In women, concentrations of DHEAS are often measured, along with other hormones such as FSH, LH, prolactin, estrogen, and testosterone, to help diagnose polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and to help rule out other causes of infertility, lack of menstrual period (amenorrhea), and presence of excess facial and body hair (hirsutism).

DHEAS levels may be ordered with other hormones to investigate and diagnose the cause of the development of masculine physical characteristics (virilization) in young girls and early (precocious) puberty in young boys.

^ Back to top
When is it ordered?

DHEAS levels are not routinely measured. A DHEAS test may be ordered, along with other hormone tests, whenever excess (or, more rarely, deficient) androgen production is suspected and/or when a health practitioner wants to evaluate a person's adrenal gland function.

It may be measured when a woman presents with signs and symptoms such as amenorrhea, infertility, and/or those related to virilization. These changes vary in severity and may include:

A deeper voice
Excess facial or body hair (hirsutism)
Male pattern baldness
Muscularity
Acne
Enlargement of the Adam's apple
Decreased breast size

It may also be ordered when a young girl shows signs of virilization or when a female infant has external genitalia that are not distinctly male or female in appearance (ambiguous genitalia).

DHEAS may also be measured when young boys show signs of precocious puberty, the development of a deeper voice, pubic hair, muscularity, and an enlarged penis well before the age of normal puberty.

^ Back to top
What does the test result mean?

Looking for reference ranges?

A normal DHEAS level, in addition to other normal male hormone (androgen) levels, likely indicates that the adrenal gland is functioning normally. Rarely, DHEAS may be normal when an adrenal tumor or cancer is present but is not secreting hormones.

A high DHEAS blood level may indicate that excess DHEAS production is causing or contributing to the person's symptoms. However, an increased level of DHEAS is not diagnostic of a specific condition; it usually indicates the need for further testing to pinpoint the cause of the hormone imbalance. An elevated DHEAS may indicate an adrenocortical tumor, Cushing disease, adrenal cancer, or adrenal hyperplasia, or rarely a DHEAS-producing ovarian tumor.

DHEAS may be elevated with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) but may also be normal as this disorder is usually related to ovarian androgen production (primarily testosterone).

A low level of DHEAS may be due to adrenal insufficiency, adrenal dysfunction, Addison disease, or hypopituitarism, a condition that causes low levels of the pituitary hormones that regulate the production and secretion of adrenal hormones.

^ Back to top
Is there anything else I should know?

DHEAS levels are normally high in both male and female newborns. They drop sharply shortly after birth, then rise again during puberty. DHEAS concentrations peak after puberty, and then, like other male and female hormones, the levels tend to decline with age.

People taking DHEA supplements will have elevated blood levels of DHEAS. Certain antidiabetic drugs (such as metformin and troglitazone), prolactin, danazol, calcium channel blockers, and nicotine may also increase DHEAS levels. Drugs/hormones that may show decreased levels include insulin, oral contraceptives, corticosteroids, dopamine, hepatic enzyme inducers (carbamazepine, imipramine, phenytoin), fish oil, and vitamin E. It is important to inform your healthcare provider when taking any of these products.

Good luck and I hope you find some answers! It took me 11-12 year to actually be firmly diagnosed so don't give up.

Last edited by TinyDancer6913; 01-07-2015 at 01:27 PM.
TinyDancer6913 is offline   Reply With Quote