PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #1  

Default started Glucophage XR

Hello,
I am 40 yrs old.
I just started Glucophage XR today I took 1 * 500 mg pill with my supper. IS THIS HOW YOU ALL TAKE YOURS?
How long after takeing this may I start to see some good effects/improvements
And will this help bring on my period?

I see my doctor in 3 months for more blood work and to have my dosage increased if needed.

I am also hypothyroid and on synthroid,

And I take spironolact for thinning hair and unwanted facial hair,
It has helped my hair has stopped falling out and the hair on my face has lessoned. :-)

Any and all coments welcomed. THANKS mellie
Old 03-21-2003, 06:01 PM   #2  

Hi Mellie!

Well, it took me about a month before I started to really notice changes though I had an increase in energy and better sleeping patterns within a week!

At about a month, I noticed that my hair was getting fuller....my widows peak actually grew back! Its been years since I had it, and I had forgotten it used to be there. LOL
I also started noticing that I was getting less hair in weird places, and in some weird places (top of toes and stuff), it stopped altogether.
Plus, I was no longer hungry all the time and my skin cleared up....the best its been since before I hit puberty (I am 33!).

However, at 3 months, my levels showed I needed to up to 1000mg which I am on now. Before, even though I had all the good things above, I did not lose any weight no matter how careful I was with carbs and calories.
On the 1000mg, I have lost 18 pounds in about a month and a half. I am still being careful with carbs/calories, but actually doing less exercise then I have done in the past....and still losing! Yeah!
Plus, now my blood pressure is starting to go back to normal...always a good thing. LOL

In another month, I will get checked again and see if I need to up the dose again.

I hope that helps. :-) Good luck! Oh, maybe you won't need to take the spiro if the gluc works for you the way it did for me? Just a thought. :-)

Rebecca
Old 04-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #3  

My endocrinologist started me on 500mg of glucophage/metformin which I took in the morning. After three weeks I added another 500mg in the morning. Then, 3 weeks later I added another 500mg which I take at night. I had no gastro problems except some gas the first couple weeks.
My endocrinologist says that anything less than 1500mg does not usually work for PCOS casued by IR, but I dont know if that is true. My biggest improvement is that I now have my period every 32 days and am ovulating..as apposed to having it around every 45 days and not ovulating.

A side note. It is important to have fasting INSULIN tested. Your GTT can be totally normal with IR. It is how much free insulin you have that determines IR. My GTT is always normal yet my insulin off the charts (before the met) Many doctors dont "get" PCOS or testing methods. Also, if you get an ultra sound I would ask for a trans-vaginal one. They are much more accurate for PCOS. (even though many people with pcos will not show cystic ovaries)
Closed Thread