PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 08:32 PM   #1  

Talking Newbie here with PCOS

My name is Karla. I'm 23 and have been married and tring to have a child for 3 years now. About six months ago my gyno diagnosed me with PCOS...even though my husband/mother & I was trying to tell him to test me for it a year ago...cause we diagnosed me after searching and reading about it online and in the Women's Day magazine.

My doctor is a real jerk and hasn't really told me anything except that I "can" have a child if I just lose weight (i currently weigh 210) by eating low carb (no particular LC diet) and taking birth control for the next 3-6 months. After that it's on clomid again and if that doesn't work he will try other ways...but I'm looking for a new doctor cause he isn't telling us anything.

I'm looking forward in learning what you all have been told. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:27 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Karla

Well, I conceived my daughter when I was 222 lbs. I dont get what the birth control for 3-6 months is for. Ive never heard that.

Yes a LC diet will help you with your pcos and loosing weight. You just have to decide which one works best for you. Protein Power and Atkins have worked very well for me.

Good luck in finding another doctor, sounds like the one you've got is a doozy!

Robin
Old 03-31-2003, 12:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I conceived my daughter after coming off birth control pills. I had also lost about 30 pounds just before becoming pregnant. The pills will control the cysts, and then the large hormone change when you come off them is probably what causes you to be fertile. My ob-gyn has also got his head in the sand about PCOS, a different doc told me I had it, but this one won't believe it. DUH! Good luck to you.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:14 AM   #4  

Hi I am a lurker from the WLS boards, but I had to respond to this!

I have been through so many dr.s that I have lost count. I was diagnosed back in 1997 ( I have had the symptoms since 1987). All they would tell me was "lose weight" DUH you don't say,I just love being fat.

I just wanted to give you some hope I have 4 sons!!! The first one I had no problem conceiving but the other 3 we had to work VERY VERY hard at!! ok that is not all true the last one came pretty easy!!

I had done 3 years of fertility drugs on #3 when I went on the pill to take a break (plus I was bleeding or 30+ days) I went on the pill for 3 months and when I came off I took some leftover clomid that I had at home and I got pregnant!!!

We were told that I could never conceive on my own without meds because I do not ovulate, so we were ok with only 3 children (Ok WE were truly blessed after all we go through to get one)!!! Well #3 was 3 months old and I told my husband that I thought I was pregnant, he said there is no way, well there is and we named him Andrew!!! Oh and did I mention that I weighed 308 lbs at 5'2"???

Our sons are 15, 7, 2 and 1!! My 2 youngest have both have birthdays in Jan!! People ask me all the time why are they so spaced and I tell then that was not by choice!! I would have more but cannot carry a baby because on my last pregnancy my uterus ruptured, we were at the hospital thank God!

Good luck! Find a new doctor and if you don't like what he/she has to ay keep looking.

Hazel
Dr. Daly ~ Lap RNY 02/05/03
Weight 08/02~ 314
pre-op weight ~282
current weight ~251
Total lost 63 /since surgery ~31
Old 04-01-2003, 12:03 PM   #5  

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies!

The birth control pills are to help reduce the cyst that are on my overies....cause my overies are covered with them.

I'm going to start the Stwartzbein (sp) plan...it seem really easy to do compaired to Atkins. I did Atkins for 2 months (followed the book and all) and was so sick and so weak that I can't do that one again.

This seems like a great board and I'm looking forward to coming here more often!
Old 04-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #6  

Tiggergirl, if you want to try and easy diet, that is low carb and good for PCOS, try SugarBusters. I read Schwartzbeins book, but it was too confusing. SugarBusters is very straight forward.

I also want to encourage you to find another doctor. Any doctor that acts that arrogant should not be patronized. We are afterall, human beings, with minds and feelings. I want to know what is going on, and why my doctor is doing the things he is doing. Thank God I have one who welcomes my interest and encourages me to research on my own. I am NOT stupid! He tells me he likes it when I research on my own. It makes his job easier!

Best wishes to you....
Old 04-06-2003, 07:04 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally posted by Monet 320
Tiggergirl, if you want to try and easy diet, that is low carb and good for PCOS, try SugarBusters. I read Schwartzbeins book, but it was too confusing. SugarBusters is very straight forward.

I also want to encourage you to find another doctor.
Best wishes to you....

Monet;

The first Schwartzbein book confused me big time...but I looked at the second book and it is 100% straight forward and easy to understand....plus alot cheaper than Sugarbusters. So far the Schwartzbein woe has worked great...and I feel so energize.

As far as finding a doctor....I have found a new one but am waiting on new insurance cards before I can go.
Closed Thread