PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #1  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

Default What to eat / What NOT to eat

Hey ladies.

I'm still running My group is at 1 1/2 minute run / 1 1/2 min walk but I am on 4 1/2 min run / 1 min walk. (My second time taking this class)

So I started to use My Fitness Pal (again) to track what I'm eating. I know it's probably somewhere in this forum but would anyone know what we should stay way from (aside from the obvious like sugar) and what would help with the PCOS & weight loss??

I know I also have to burn more than what I normally eat so I got my gym membership back and will start this week.

Ok thanks!
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #2  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

pcosdivadotcom says dairy is not good for us (read her article Don't be a Dairy Queen), soy is no bueno and gluten.

I try to cut back by drinking coconut milk in my coffee and using coconut sugar or agave (low GI)
And avoid soy but it's everywhere!

There is a good article on her site pcosdiva.com about protien! I want to try Ideal Protien Diet using alternative food like Brown Rice Protien 

I use myfitness pal too add me if you want! MrsH2132012

Last edited by MrsH2132012; 04-23-2012 at 11:59 AM.
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #3  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

People who follow low carb diets... I say they go a little too low. I count calories on myfitnesspal, and I do TurboFire. I've lost 35 lbs.
I don't drink very much milk, and I eat whole grains.
When I have pasta, I only have 1 oz (dry) whole grain/whole wheat pasta.

Unfortunately, weight loss is still slow, even though I consume approximately 1,200 cals per day. It's the IR/PCOS I think, but the work is definitely worth it
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

I've been doing the best following a low carb plan. Nothing else as worked but my weight seems to be going down by eliminating most carbs like bread or pasta. I've switched from fat free milk to soy milk. I can't go as low on carbs as a lot of the diets want for induction. I do track food on sparkpeople and try to follow 1200-1500 calories sometimes less or a bit more a day but spark people reccomends 140 carbs-258 a day and I try to do 30-50
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #5  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

ive heard dairy was bad for pcos because of the hormones in milk. however i never had any problems with dairy.

cutting down on bread and pasta is important. when i was doing the south beach diet my weight was at it's lowest. once i started eating pasta and sugar again. my weight came back in full force.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #6  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by helwa588 View Post
ive heard dairy was bad for pcos because of the hormones in milk. however i never had any problems with dairy.
I didn't either then I cut it 98% out and wow I noticed a lot of pcos symptoms lessen 

Why not 100%? I am on a mission for a soy and dairy free coffee creamer so far almond & coconut milk are too thin, coconut creamer to blah, MinicCreme was chunky I think I got an old one
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

High concepts?

Go low (or at least lower) carb -- depends on where you are coming from there. And esp if you are IR.

no wheat for sure, maybe even grain free -- may not be gluten prob PCOS person, but it doesn't hurt to try.

no dairy for sure

low gi whole food good fiber -- natural as possible, organic if you can

We don't need extra colorings, chemicals, hormones, or things than can make our endocrine disorder freak out extra. It's already wigginz as it is!

TWO REALLY GOOD ONES

The guidelines in "Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility" are awesome for PCOS but are honest and up front that it will ask much of you.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2bp...page&q&f=false

is where you can read most of it online. I'm still working on principles of it. The wheat is killing me -- I keep trying to ditch it.

If diabetic or prediabetes and on exchanges. the Dietitian's Guide to PCOS book has it in exchanges style. Summary is here of just the exchanges patterns

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...uide-pcos.html

She also has skype appts now so I'm interested in trying that out. Just have to pay out of pocket probably because I don't know if insurance will go there but it's something else I want to consider.

http://www.pcosnutrition.com/

I think those two are the best two SPECIFICALLY for PCOS patients.

MORE GENERAL

paleo, body for life, eat to live books fit. That could be for eyeballers who want a list of foods and not stress about tracking as much.

Hormonal Balance fits and lnsulin resistance diet fits -- this is like exchanges or portioners who like to weigh or the PCOS/IR patients. I like to the alternate exchange patter from Hormonal Balance.

40-30-30 and zone type fits -- that's good for calorie counters that want the percentage breakouts

Hormone Diet fits and it goes a bit into PCOS patients but not as much as above.

MY FEELING

We come in at least 5 types, so that's part of the nutrition therapy challenge. Then we come in diet style preferences too -- some like exchanges, calorie counting, etc.

The other general ones above could work too but books about these eating styles are not always SPECIFIC for PCOS people so while good won't share WHY it is good for PCOS people and some allow the dairy and wheat. I do not like that for PCOS people.

To me those things are optional foods that can be triggers for PCOS.

Dairy? All animals wean after babyhood. Why are grown humans still on breastmilk foods? And not even our OWN species? Totally optional food there on dairy thing.

Wheat? Most wheat things mess up my blood sugar and are my trigger foods. Hard on the PCOS/IR types like me at least... and then the regular PCOS people?

The http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...diet-for-pcos/ article suggests 85% of us stink with processing gluten. I have not dug up the cited sources yet but it makes ya think. 85%? That's high. So... may be worth dropping just to see how you feel. Or drop all grains and see. It's high enough to think about for a short run grain free at least.

SUPPLEMENTS AND HOME

And of course, Mary's PCOS Treatment Faq covers some nutrition supplements.

And while not food, consider green cleaning your home. Less exposure to chemicals/hormone disruptors/endocrine disruptors that way too. It doesn't hurt to try in some housekeeping areas esp when vinegar and baking soda and bon ami are at most grocery and SUPER CHEAP!

Brands? murphy's oil, bon ami, borax, washing soda, method, 7th generation, Ecover, and dr bronner -- are all reasonably priced and/or lots easier to find now. Diluting in a trigger spray to the strength YOU like isn't a big deal.

My fav 101 book there is Annie Berthold Bond Clean & Green.

HTH!
A

Last edited by astrophe; 05-04-2012 at 01:17 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote