PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default Newbie Question Carbs

Hi,
I haven't been diagnosed with insulin resistance, but I have some symptoms. I gain weight in my stomach, have a family history of diabetes (my brother and Grandma), and come from an ethnic background with tendency to diabetes. So, even if I don't have PCOS, I am wary of the possibility.

This is aside question: sometimes when I exercise (walking or elliptical) my toes fall asleep--is this associated with PCOS?

But my real question: I've done calorie restricted diet, where I consumed only 1200-1400 calories a day, and lost less than a pound a week. But when I started SBD, I immediately lost a lot more weight, but wasn't able to stay on it.

Do people with PCOS have trouble losing weight by the calorie restriction alone?
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6''

From what I learned in my nutrition class is that people who low carb lose weight fast, but only initially. The research we were given to study showed that after a year results ended up being nearly the same as cal counters and low carb eaters.
lucyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm insulin resistant, PCOS, hypothyroid and type 2 diabetes. At first, I lost weight on drastic carb restriction. But that eventually stopped. I lost weight on calorie restriction. That also stopped. I combined the two and just got crazy! No weight loss for a very long time.

I currently exercise an hour a day, six days a week too. I did Pilates for a year but didn't lose an ounce. However, I did lose a lot of inches, nearly two sizes. I just started power walking for 30 minutes a day, six times a week. I also weight train three times a week.

For the last year, I also seriously changed how I eat carbs and everything. I keep my calories between 1400 and 1700. I keep my carbs under 120 gms. My sources of carbs are non-starchy vegetables (about 50 gm/day from greens and avocado), a piece of fruit (not too sweet), and one slice of Julian Bakery Carb Smart #1 bread. Once a week I have a serving of brown rice. Once a week I have a serving of whole wheat pasta. I don't add sugar to anything. I don't use artificial sweeteners of any sort, not even Stevia. I don't eat starchy vegetables. I don't eat/drink non/low-fat dairy of any sort. I drink one alcoholic beverage a week.

I am allergic to all things soy, so I had to quit nearly all processed foods and had to get super picky about eating out. I can't have most poultry because their feed has soy in it (I'm that sensitive), so it's cage-free poultry, grass-fed beef, pork and lamb, and wild-caught cold water fish like sardines, tuna, salmon and trout. But only twice a week on the fish. I'm trying to limit other toxins, like mercury. I'm also allergic to nitrates and nitrites, so no processed meats unless they are uncured. This also restricts the wine drinking. I have to drink organically produced wines.

I have been working at getting my sodium intake down under 2400 mg. My blood pressure problem is stress-related, but I take a cranberry capsule to help as a diuretic. I was on medication for that, but discovered that it also prevented me from losing weight. I am maintaining my type 2 entirely with diet and exercise and have been for several years. I don't care to go on medication for this.

I also have sleep apnea and am on a CPAP at night. I have to have seven to eight hours of sleep a night or I start eating more during the day to stay alert.

I was able to maintain my weightloss when I maintained this lifestyle, but not lose weight. (I know, sucks for me!!!! I'm not perfect on this plan, but as much as I possibly can.)

More recently, about the last month, I started taking a combination of nutritional supplements that have FINALLY restarted my weight loss, and I've lost 10 lbs in the last three weeks doing everything I just mentioned PLUS the supplements. I take supplements that support my pancreas, adrenals, thyroid and liver. You can look at the nutritional supplements sticky on the PCOS section of the forums. I think this is working for me because my organs related to the diabetes, insulin resistance, blood pressure, low thyroid and PCOS and getting the extra help they needed in order to perform. I don't know if I need to take this forever. I may adjust things later. All I know is that now, I really feel great, which is why I'm so faithful to this plan as it stands. Someday, all this may stop working as well. I hope not.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote