PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #1  
Hard Work Pays Off

S/C/G: 324/302/???

Height: 5'11"

Red face Really Scared :( also, a bit tmi.

Ok. So I haven't seen an obgyn so I don't even know if this is whats wrong with me, but the symptoms are leading me to believe that this is wrong with me. I've been reading peoples posts on different subforums on here, and they will randomly mention pcos, so I looked into it and I'm REALLY SCARED. I've only had 2 periods in the last year and a half and the last one was incredibly heavy and gross and I got hives. At first I thought it was just because I gained 30 pounds really quickly, but I have friends that are heavier and shorter than me and nothing is wrong with their period. I went to the clinic to see what was up with me and they said that it was probably because I'm stressed and because I have a history of depression, so he just prescribed me the antidepressant I took in high school. I'm going to see an obgyn for the first time next week and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to ask them. I don't have health insurance so I'm going to a free clinic and I'm afraid they're not going to be as sensitive or as helpful as I'm going to need them to be. I've fantasized about having kids of my own for a very long time and everything I'm doing now, with school and stuff, is for my future kids so they'll have a better life than I did. Can you still have kids after you've been diagnosed? Am I worrying too soon? Am I being too dramatic? I don't have things like acne or any other symptoms I've read about except for the whole period thing, my incredibly lame dandruff, and of course my weight.
beautiful days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #2  
Hard Work Pays Off

Also, PCOS runs in the family. A couple aunts and a couple cousins have it. Blaah.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #3  
kellie105

S/C/G: 292.5/284.8/170

Height: 5'6

If you do have PCOS its not the end of the world. I have it and I have two beautiful babies. Please ask for blood work that will test your hormones, if you have PCOS ask your Dr. about Metformin...it is a miracle drug for us with PCOS
kellie105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I spent a lot of years worrying if I had pcos. Even though I did have it, it didn't do me any good worrying about it until I could receive a proper diagnosis. I didn't have health insurance until I was 27, so before that I "self treated" by putting myself on birth control at 22.

I will say that just because you do not get your period now doesn't mean you won't get it down the road with even a little bit of weightlosss. A lot of women, regardless of pcos, find that their periods resume with a 10-15% reduction.

But above all else, please do not be afraid. PCOS is not a death sentence and it doesn't mean you will never be able to have kids. Heck, it may not even be diffifult for you to conceive. I see women every day who shatter that notion! But my overall point is to not cross that bridge until you get to it.

In the meantime, when you go see the obgyn, express your concerns about pcos. Make your history very clear. Hopefully you will get a doctor who knows what they're doing, but I will warn you, a lot DON'T. The first doctor who ever really listened to my concerns re: pcos was one at a Planned Parenthood where I got birth control, so that's an option as well. They can also refer you to local doctors who work on a sliding scale.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I agree, tell them that this is your first ob/gyn appointment, but that you have a medical history of PCOS in your family and you've only gotten your periods twice in the last year AND you gain 30 lbs really quickly. Those are signs some of the classic signs of PCOS.

Having PCOS is not the end of the world!!! Seriously.... I've been diagnosed since I was 19 and I'm still around.

It does mean that losing weight is harder, but it doesn't make it impossible. And the fact that you might get a diagnosis now means that you can start taking care of yourself sooner. I just ignored my diagnosis thinking it would just go away on it's own. It didn't. I wish I had treated myself back when I was in my 20s!

Keep reading, hopefully you're get your diagnosis, and you can start finding out what combination of diet, exercise, medication/supplements works for you!!!!

Good luck!!!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 226/224/160

Height: 5'3"

I went to a free clinic too, and oddly enough they were the nicest people i've ever met. It wasn't scary and the doctors made me feel extra comfortable. I actually went back to the same clinic again!
I hope everything works out for you.
I know my heart broke when i found out but what can you do besides work on it and try to get healthy?
imafrdofdadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #7  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

I think I'm different from a lot of PCOS women in that I was actually *relieved* when I got my diagnosis (in November 2007.) I had been suffering the symptoms for fifteen years (since I was 12), and knew from the time I was about 20 that I had PCOS, but no doctor would listen to me. Thankfully I found a great gynecologist who actually listened to me!

Anyway, like many other people here have already said: PCOS is not a death sentence. And it doesn't mean that you'll never have kids (if that's something you're concerned about.) It just means that you have to do some work in order to keep the condition under control. It's like any other chronic condition (diabetes, for example.) There's nothing you can do to *cure* it, but there are definitely things you can do to control the symptoms. And you're already taking one of the most important steps -- weight loss can certainly help with PCOS symptoms!

Don't let the idea of PCOS frighten you. Like so many other things, the thought of it is usually worse than the reality. As long as you are willing to do what needs to be done in order to keep it manageable, and as long as you have plenty of support, you'll be fine.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #8  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007 too. i had no idea what was causing my periods to be so awkward, and i've always had difficulty with my weight. the doc told me that since i was not trying to conceive, yasmin was a good way to make sure my body had the right levels of hormones. being on the pill actually helped me to lose the weight the first time.

then i lost my insurance and couldn't afford it anymore, so i went off it for over 2 years, and my period remained normal and regular the whole time (minus a few times it was a couple days late or early). hopefully once my SO and i decide to conceive it won't be all that difficult.

it's manageable for me, and like snoofie, i was also relieved to find out that there was a legit syndrome attached to my problems - not the "well you're just stressed/anxious/depressed here's zombie drugs" that i'd gotten before - and that there are treatments and options available to make living with it a bit easier.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

It isn't the end of the world. And yes, you can have kids.

Try not to panic and take it one thing at a time.

You say you are a student -- how old are you? Are you on your parents' health insurance or your own?

Have you taken the PCOS Quiz? You could print it out and take it in with you to your appointment.

http://www.pcosupport.org/support/quiz.php

You may want to peek at the PCOS FAQ -- esp the lab areas
http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=infertility101&id=2

and Mary's PCOS treatment FAQ too.
http://pcosfaq.com/

Hang in there!
HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #10  
Hard Work Pays Off

Thanks all for the feedback. There are a few infertile women in my family because of PCOS which is why I got so freaked out about it. I'm more calm about now after I've read everybody's comments. I guess I'll find out when I go to the lady parts doctor on Thursday. Until then, I'm gonna try and not even worry about it or think about it.

thanks guys
Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #11  
One day at a time!!!

S/C/G: 211/*ticker*/TBD!

Height: 5'6

Good luck at the doctor!
Like everyone else said, PCOS is not the end of the world. It's definitely a downer when you first find out, but for me- it kind of put me at ease. I finally had a REASON for all of my weird issues! After (IF!) you get a diagnosis, don't let it get you down- focus on what you can do now to start working on issues that may be a problem later!

I've seen it time and time again (and in myself as well)... but if you lose your excess weight, often the symptoms reduce or disappear completely! Unfortunately those of us "blessed" with it typically have a harder time losing weight, but it's not impossible! Actually here's a fun fact that I literally just learned moments ago and has ME even more motivated: Jillian Michaels has PCOS! I had no idea! One look at her can just show you that it's possible to have it and be in shape.

Also, in terms of your symptoms: I've always heard that PCOS is called a "syndrome" because you do not need to have all of the symptoms. Women can have a mixture of the standard symptoms... some have all, some have none just about. I have irregular cycles, weight issues, and insulin resistance. I do not have acne, the excess hair, no thinning hair, dark spots, etc. My testosterone level is fairly normal, per my doctor. As a matter of fact, I just took the PCOS quiz posted by astrophe, and it told me that it was NOT likely that I have PCOS! lol (I assure you that I do: I have had blood work, ultrasounds, etc. to prove it)

As far as children go-- like everyone said, it's possible to have kids with PCOS. Sometimes it takes a little help, but there are definitely those of us in the PCOS community who have conceived naturally! I have a beautiful 21 month old boy that was completely natural and a little miracle.

And Metformin is a blessing! Might tear your stomach up at first but I love having myself regulated. It also helps with the weight loss!!! Another perk: If you don't have insurance, Metformin is sold in Walmart's pharmacy very cheap!
linalin is offline   Reply With Quote