PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:32 PM   #1  

Default Low Carb And Weight Loss With Pcos........

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you know if PCOS could be controlled by strict low carb/sugar and exercise???

I've just been diagnosed and have not been put on meds YET. I have a MD app. next week to discuss that. I've beeen doing lots of research on the computer the last couple of days and from what I'm understanding the Glucophage helps to control sugar/carb cravings. Is that correct? Well, I've been low carbing/low sugar for quite a few weeks now (doing sugar busters) and have lost all my cravings already. I'm so nervous to go on these meds from everything I've been reading....the liver and kidney issues, the nausea, the stomach pains and cramping, etc.

So, by just losing weight by low carb/low sugar and exercising with that help me and my PCOS????????????

Just need some thoughts and advice. Thanks a bunch.

SkySyd
Old 09-16-2003, 01:36 PM   #2  
WW Moderator

The diet and exercise can help a LOT, but it may not take care of it for all people. If you have lost weight since your last doctors visit, I would go back and ask the doctor if you can have more blood work to see if there is an improvement. Many people lose weight faster with the meds, though.

Serious side effects are not that commom with Gluc if you have a healthy liver and kidneys. The others are more common, but many people don't have any at all. I had continuous bowel problems, so I took myself off it and I am trying it alone. I don't recommend anybody quite their meds without doctor's approval, but I can say that MY symptoms have decreased with sustained low sugar- moderate exercise diet. Exercise is vital, and on a regular basis. You have to get that insulin burning off before you get to the fat!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:34 AM   #3  
Rattie Lover

Humm...I have liver problems...I hope this doesn't cut my chances for using Glu. Eeeks!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 07:32 AM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

The lowcarb and exercise has helped my pcos more than I can convey. My cycle is "normal" for the first time in my life. (Im 38 now, diagnosed when I was 19) I still have the dark skin patches, but I can live with that, I still have hair on my chin, but it has quit growing in (I just have whats there, nothing new) and best of all, the hair ontop of my head isnt falling out. My hair is so thick now, its actually hard to manage!!

Keep at it, you have nothing to loose besides symptoms and weight. If it doesnt work, then try the meds.

Good Luck to you
Old 09-24-2003, 08:12 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Morning All!

I have been trying the low-carb thing. I never realized how many carbs I actually ate until I started reading all of the labels. What a difference! I have drastically cut down my carbs and cut out all of my sugar and I have been exercising regularly now for almost a month. I must of did something right because I lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks! I also just went on Glu & Yasmin so I am hoping that will help me too. So far so good!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #6  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Noodles

I was diagnosed this summer with PCOS. My doctor recommended Atkins to help with the insulin resistance. in 7.5 weeks I have lost 13 pounds and I am feeling better already. The doctor is thrilled with the loss as well. The other great thing that Atkins has helped me with is the Acne, My face is CLEAR for the first time in about 10 years! (ok I have one pimple on my forehead, but I always get one at TOM time!)

I highly recommend low-carbing, in my case Atkins, as a help with PCOS. I am not on any meds right now as the doctor wants to re-test me in 3 months after being on Atkins.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:22 PM   #7  
Rattie Lover

Hi Karen!!

I wish I could do the Atkins. I talked to my DR about it and because my kidneys are making and passing stones and my familys history of polycystic kidney disease, she didn't recommend it. It has something to do with passing too much protein and it being hard on the kidneys in a person like me. I have known people that have went on it though and dropped alot of weight!! **Sigh** I could live off of eggs, cheese, chicken, etc...too! Darn. I am glad it is working for you though! Sounds like you are really happy with it. Keep up the good work!!
Closed Thread