PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #1  

Thumbs down New Member - Have lots of questions...

I was diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin resistance about 6 months ago. I have not gotten a period on my own without being induced for about a year now. My family doctor has referred me to a gynecologist as my husband and I are also trying to get pregnant. I would appreciate any advice on the following topics:

1. After some research, I have started a vitamin regime which includes folic acid, B Complex, Chromium, Magnesium, Royal Jelly, Flaxseed oil, cod liver oil among others. I would appreciate any advice on what vitamins may be especially helpful.

2. I am interested in starting on Metformin, any feedback on that would be welcome.

3. Is there anybody around who has conceived during a time when they were not getting periods?

4. Anybody on a low carb diet that's been successful, I'm starting one myself and need some tips...

Looking forward to chatting with all of you!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:54 AM   #2  

Welcome!

I'm from Bracebridge myself and lo and behold, I'm in TO for a couple of days on business. I spent 18 months trying to conceive and sought out fertility treatment for my second child. Hasn't happened yet and are currently on sabbatical from actively "trying". Like you, I was also diagnosed with PCOS and it really does make life very hard trying to conceive (ttc) when your body isn't cooperating! So I can answer your questions for you:

1) Vitamins: Doc and I talked about this and all he recommended was a maternity vitamin to boost my chances and when following a low carb or carb controlled diet (which is pretty much mandatory when you have PCOS) to take magnesium/potassium supplements. Chromium will help you with weight loss but not on the fertility aspect of things. Don't know about those other ones.

2) Metformin: In Canada we do not have the extended release version of this drug. Metformin is very hard on your system if you are not following a low carb diet to the letter and even then it is very hard. I personally take Actos, another PCOS med that seems to have little effect with weight gain or GI problems and can actually help normalize your LH levels.

3) Although yes it is possible to conceive with no periods (as ovulation would take place before you had a period) the likelihood of it is small if you have been months without a period. Women with PCOS build linings in your uterus and never shed them due to hormonal imbalance. It is very important that you take some sort of progesterone to bring on a period regularly. A good OBGYN will recommend this to you to help your chances. Did this for 5 months myself.

4) I am currently doing Atkins and all told have lost 25 pounds. The unfortunate side effect of PCOS is slow weight loss regardless of the plan we are following. My PCOS is pretty severe so I have to stay on top of it to regulate my hormone levels. With PCOS your success will not be on te scale but the fact that your hormones will straighten out and you will begin getting periods on your own again! The weight will happen, but it takes time...

Since you are in Toronto, I can tell you that the best fertility treatment program in the city is at Mount Sinai. I highly recommend it. If I lived in the city, I would be going there. My SIL has many different fertility issues and she was blessed with a son and now my second nephew is on the way! These people really know what they are talking about so if you can get a referral there, I would say go for it!
Old 05-15-2003, 03:27 PM   #3  

Angry Thanks Pooky

Thank you, Pooky, for you reply. I must say, I am a little disappointed in hearing about the availability of extended release Metformin in Canada, however I'm not averse to suffering the side effects if it's going to help me...Actos sounds interesting though, I will research it to see if it's right for me, as well as talk to my gynecologist.

I'm currently waiting for my gynecologist appointment at the Rouge Hill Fertility Centre on May 23rd (my first one) as I've been dealing with my family doctor up until now. She wasn't giving me many answers, she only told me to excercise to lower my insulin levels, and gave me provera every 3 months to induce a period.

I am lucky because I'm not too much overweight, I had a sudden weight gain when I stopped getting periods, and my BMI went from 24 to 26 in a very short time. I've lost about 8 pounds in the past month and have 12 to go, mostly by low-carbing and walking regularly although the pasta cravings are very difficult to overcome!
Closed Thread