PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Default sleep effects on your cycle

Sorry if there's TMI in this thread, but I feel like on this forum we're all about TMI anyway.

My most recent medication change was about 5 months ago in September -- changed BCP, and upped Met from 1500 to 2000. Around this same time, I started a really stressful term of grad school, which led to several instances of not going to sleep till 3am or later. I don't do it often, and if I go to bed that late I almost always can sleep in to get 7 or 8 hours.

But here's the weird thing. Regardless of how many hours I get a night, if I go to bed later than 1 or 2 (and even if I don't wake up till 9 or 10 the next morning), I start bleeding. Like, forever, at least until my next "period" (sugar pill week).

This has happened nearly every month, because since September there's always been at least one time a month I end up going to bed super late. The late bedtime is the only factor I can see that is wildly different that could be playing a part in the bleeding. It's really annoying. I was never the type of PCOS-er who would have constant breakthrough bleeding -- it was always the opposite, no blood ever. When I am getting normal sleep and taking my pills precisely on schedule, I get extremely light "periods," if anything at all (varies month to month).

Could it be the weird bedtime causing this? Does anyone else notice this? Think the met and/or BCP are playing a part?

Also, besides being ANNOYING, is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks for all the advice here, you girls rock.

Edit: Just thought of something else. On the nights that I go to bed super late, it's possible (I'm not sure though) that I'm taking my pill late, also. Normally I take it before bed, which is normally between 10 and midnight. Could a few hours in one direction be the culprit??

Last edited by snoozlebug; 02-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

The later pill taking could be the culprit, it could mean your body is super sensitive to the hormones, then. Normally, an hour or two difference shouldn't make a significant impact on your cycle.

I've never seen it happen to me, so I can't offer any more advice than that.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/119/120

Height: 5 ' 1.5"

My guess would be the BCP. When your body is adjusting to a change in the levels of estrogen and progesterone, breakthrough bleeding can occur during the cycle.
call your GYN to be sure since other things can cause that type of bleeding. ( Iam an ultrasound tech in an OB/GYN office)
ungluued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, I'm with them thinking it's the BCP. But I never had breakthru on mere hours. It was skipping a few days or something much more... "dramatic" in difference.

Call the doc.

(And the line about TMI on this area totally cracked me up. So true! )

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote