PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #1  
Starting over =]

S/C/G: 225/185/150

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Default PCOS and jaw/chin acne

Hey all!
I've been diagnosed with PCOS for about a year now and I've had it for maybe 2-3. Recently ( in the past 4 months) I've noticed that I've been breaking out terribly along my jawline, chin, upper lip and upper neck. It's especially bad along the jawline. I was just curious as to if others have noticed a similar break out pattern, and if you have, what have you done about it? Common acne treatments and birth control don't seem enough for me. The jawline seems immune to my prescription acne meds, ugh. Please help Thanks!
happyveggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I read about that once only I can't remember where. But it is very common for PCOS folks to have it along the jaw line. I do/did.

Getting the hormone imbalance sorted out is the key. Anything else is just dealing with the symptoms.

(I've improved on BCP so it isn't as bad any more. )

For the pimples... You can try crushed aspirin/water solution if the over the counter stuff for acne isn't working. Apply right on the problem area. You can google for tips on that too. Like "aspirin mask" or similar.

HTH!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 12-20-2010 at 01:19 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #3  

My acne is worse around the jawline - right around the areas where I have extra hair growing! Very frustrating. But if I keep the hair plucked, and use a scrub to help with ingrown hairs, it seems to keep it at bay most of the time
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #4  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Height: 5'9"

I have this problem too. I noticed the correlation between the acne and the excess hair, but still haven't found a way to successfully deal with either. I'd appreciate some insight on this too.
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #5  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I just went to a dermatologist because I was breaking how along my jaw, and around the mouth area. The lady said it was hormonal acne, men grow beards and women apparently break out in that area. I have been on a treatment of antibiotics and other meds for the past 2 weeks and it's really starting to clear up.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191(86.6)

Height: 5' 5"

Hi I would like to give you some food for thought. Do you drink a lot of dairy, eat a lot of cheese? because I discovered that i would break out in the same exact areas a few days after eating dairy items. When I removed dairy, the breakouts reduced and my skin was able to clear up.

There is a lot of info on the web about the use of hormones in cows to stay pregnant and contstantly produce milk. when we drink the milk we injest the hormones and there is a chance that affects our own hormonal balance....it's something to consider.
chouchoubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I used to break out around my jawline and chin too because that is where most of my facial hair grew, and tweezing them caused me to breakout. Once I got the hair lasered, I stopped breaking out there.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #8  
Do everything in love.

S/C/G: 420/305.4/145

Height: 5'9"

Nina,

I've never thought about having the hair lasered, but that might be a good thing to consider. Was it expensive? Do you have to go multiple times?
ohlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

It was cheap for me because because I had just a small area, about 1.5 inches on each side of my jawline. It was about $100 per session. You need to go for 3-4 sessions first, and then you go about once a year for touchups. The results vary from person to person, for me teh hair started growing back finer but I completely stopped breaking out. On the other hand, my sister had tons of facial hair along her sideburns which used to break out pretty bad. She responded extremely well to the treatments and her skin is extremely smooth with no breakouts and not a single hair.

Also, I went to a hospital instead of a medspa. IMO, hospitals cost more or less the same as medspas but I just felt safer having a nurse or a doctor operate the laser equipment rather than a beautician.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/300/250

Height: 5'7

Hmm, I've never put breaking out along my jaw line and pcos together, but I do break out there often. Interesting.
Princess Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm with chou on the hormone load thing. Dairy foods, any animal foods. If you are going to have them, have less, try to buy them hormone free/organic/non GMO whatever approach you can best afford to do.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

For the FIRST TIME EVER, I have a pimple in my jaw line. Grrrrrrrrrrrr............
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote